autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Tips on removing graffiti scratches from glass

Any tips on polishing graffiti scratches from glass? Assholes keep scratching into the glass mosaic tile in my restrooms at my store. 3 of them now, and these scumbags are like dogs. Once one pisses on the tree, everyone pisses on the tree.

I spend a lot of money, and a lot of time to keep these things nice for customers, and people want to be dickheads. It drives me insane. They carve into the mirrors, walls, toilets, anything they can get their grubby hands on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips on removing graffiti scratches from glass

Quote Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post
    Any tips on polishing graffiti scratches from glass? Assholes keep scratching into the glass mosaic tile in my restrooms at my store. 3 of them now, and these scumbags are like dogs. Once one pisses on the tree, everyone pisses on the tree.

I spend a lot of money, and a lot of time to keep these things nice for customers, and people want to be dickheads. It drives me insane. They carve into the mirrors, walls, toilets, anything they can get their grubby hands on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Careful with language I forgot the other month and almost got an infraction. But as far as glass goes you’ll need a glass polishing such as one from carpro and glass specific polish as well. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post

Any tips on polishing graffiti scratches from glass? People keep scratching into the glass mosaic tile in my restrooms at my store.

They carve into the mirrors, walls, toilets, anything they can get their grubby hands on.

Certainly not the kind of people you want in your store or as neighbors.

I step out on a limb here and be the bearer of bad news. My GUESS is there's no PRACTICAL way to remove these scratches as they are going to be too deep to machine polish. Maybe the glass could be machine sanded and the buffed but the time, LABOR and materials will make it to costly.

You're going to have to find a easier solution. I feel your pain, but I've buffed a lot of a scratches out of glass in my life, shallow scratches like wiper marks, and it is very hard work and very time consuming. I've seen the type of scratches you're talking about and they are going to be deeper than wiper marks.

I'd check with some type of security company and find out what you can to be pro-active without breaking the law.

4. Likes DetailedByPrecision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We purchased a glass sanding and polishing kit for deeper scratches. Even though it works, it was a mistake. The time investment is too large. I regret to say that based on your description, the repair as probably not justifiable. If you can feel it with your fingernail, its deep. As usual, I agree with Mike.
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Natron View Post

We purchased a glass sanding and polishing kit for deeper scratches.

Even though it works, it was a mistake. The time investment is too large.

I'm guessing I have more how-to articles on how to polish glass than anyone, just a guess, haven't looked to see if anyone else has any and I must have 4-5?

Because I've been teaching how to do polish to remove scratches in glass in my classes for at least 9 years, (ever since I came to Autogeek), I've also helped probably hundreds of people figure out the process. One thing I have found in common with a lot of people that TRY to polish glass is MANY simply give up. They find out real fast that glass is HARD and the process is difficult and slow. So they simply stop or give up.

I also agree that any scratch that catches your fingernail as you run your fingernail over the scratch is quantified as deep in context of glass scratches.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We purchased a glass sanding and polishing kit for deeper scratches. Even though it works, it was a mistake. The time investment is too large.
    Was that the GT kit? With the 3M paper? I've always wanted to try that, I figured it would be a faster method than what we 'Geeks usually use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is. We did not get the polisher with the fluid injector so it really did not get a fair trial.
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is. We did not get the polisher with the fluid injector so it really did not get a fair trial.
    I just thought maybe that white polishing paper on a DA would be better than cerium oxide compound on a rotary.