autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tesla Tractor is real

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    I don’t care what engineers say, weight matters when you hit a hill. Electric or not I don’t seen them maintaining highway speed uphill. The annoying fart sounds is only the guys who put bigger exhaust on the truck and run a full straight pipe. It’s like a Cummins driver in a pickup lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think any engineer is saying weight doesn't matter. The gain is recapturing the energy on the descent. I'm sure there will be issues, this is a beta product after all. It is great to see an American company leading the way here.

2. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    That's the beauty of electric motors. The full torque potential of the motor is available instantly at 0 RPM and it never tapers off. I totally flat torque curve. As long as the batter can deliver a full charge to the motor, the motor will produce it's max torque. Many people don't realize this which is what makes those Tesla vs. XXXXX drag race videos all over YouTube so dumb. They will distroy just about any gas powered vehicle on the road simply because of the way the electric motors deliver their power to the wheels. There is a reason Chevy now has an electric motor for their "Copo" drag Cameros. I'm not a Tesla or electric car junkie but I do appreciate the technology behind the power trains and understand it's capabilities.

I see this current version of the truck being a great idea for short-haul or local trucking firms. The range isn't there yet for the serious long haul stuff, and I could see long grades over mountains and cold weather wreaking havoc on the range. I'm really surprised they went right for the semi-trailer market and didn't start with slightly smaller two and three axle good delivery trucks which would be better suited based on range.
    I understand how electric works. Used to rebuild and install the big electric motors at the coal mines here. It is crazy but I see how much hp one of those made and how many they needed to do a job. Hence me being skeptical. But I work oil and gas so I’d rather see a diesel trucking down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Volvo does both electric busses and have an electric garbagetruck out for testing. During 2019 they are starting to sell different electric semi-trucks. They are more made for shorter runs in the cities. And with the minimum range of 125 miles they think they cover a work pass with. No flashy design just like the ordinary semi-trucks. Or a bigger delivering truck you could say. One feature is when you brake the truck is charging the batteries at the same time. They are made mostly to be driven in the nights and where there are restrictions of some kind. Mercedes is also doing electric semi-trucks and don't know if they are selling them yet. Interesting that Tesla is going for the more long hauls semi-trucks.

The electric busses is quite cool. They build special buss stops where they are charging the batteries with some kind of attachement points on the roofs of the buss and connect to the buss stop. Just like trains and what they call those that goes in the cities LOL. But way more easier to handle the charging on the go with a regualar route. Maybe there comes something like that for electric cars too at the stoplights while you are standing there waiting. Or other kind of a wireless charging the batteries.

Crazy specs 0-60 though LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    ....Or other kind of a wireless charging the batteries.
    The Dutch are already trying it out!

I saw the story somewhere else and can't remember where. However, here is a short summary.

Wireless charging of electric car
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was very cool! Thanks for posting!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Theres always gonna be haters and neysayers isnt there? OMG. Cant be happy for a company trying to make something better. Lets just bash them down about every little detail and call it a failure cause it only gets 475 miles instead of the 500 they claim. LOL. Yeah shame on them for doing something and not being perfect the first time around. News flash most things that are first invented and tried dont succeed the first run. I think what he is trying to do is great and hope he kills it just like he has with his cars that everyone said would never happen. LOL. Get a life and go invent something better if you think you can. Roll Eyes
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

9. Thanks Aaryn NZ, Brandon Wetch thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, fly07sti, Brandon Wetch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I think what he is trying to do is great and hope he kills it just like he has with his cars that everyone said would never happen.
    Who’s “he”?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

where exactly this happens btw?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shower View Post
    where exactly this happens btw?
    What?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    Absolutely positively the most hideous thing on earth equipped with wheels. I want to see them gross 80k and pull a 6% grade for 15min. That would be impressive if they can still get 500 miles. How long does it take to charge that ungodly set of batteries after it is drained? Can only imagine a truck stop not wanting to incorporate that

With the cars, they have automated battery swap stations. You're low on juice, you drive to a station over over a pad covering an underground mechanism. The mechanism pulls your low battery out and replaces it with a charged battery. You drive off with a freshly charged battery, your low battery starts being charged for the next person. Supposedly happens faster than it takes to fill your car with gas. I would think they would do the same thing with these trucks.

Battery Swap Event | Tesla

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast