autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice if possoble

I am a 25 year old single father with 10 years of detailing experience under my belt. I have my own business for mobile detailing but with this weather in Canada it is very hard on me in the winter months. I have had a job for a year at a reputable auto body shop in my home town the boss knows the passion i have for detailing and i am not real interested in a apprenticeship but he has been asking me to get my license and he would help in the long run with my business. Now the problem i have is working 8 too 5 everyday for him during the summer months when i get busy. Really my question is should i take his offer and hold off and do mobile for another 3 years then once i get my license start doing more coatings and get a shop cause ill be making more money with a license idk sorry for the long question I'm just stuck that k you for all your answers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some advice if possoble

Interesting dilemna. What is he paying? Not a question to answer here publically but in your own head. Compare that to your anticipated or projected income from staying independent. Another huge consideration is if he's paying any benefits to you and your young family.

Also, what are his work conditions for you. Is it a good experience builder?

I understand your point that working for him ties you up M-F during your busy summer months but maybe he keeps you busy during the winter. Project out your income annually for both a.) Working for him and b.) Remaining independent.

An unknown for me is how much he'll "help" you out after you get licensed. I wouldn't count on that and if he follows through on that it's just gravy.

Post Thanks / Like

How are you doing during the summer on your own? Could you continue to remain busy (and profitable) if you could work throughout the winter on your own?

If so, could you consider renting a space to allow you to work indoors during the winter? Either a 1 door shop (where I'm at, there are a lot of these available for rent), or perhaps a bay at an auto repair facility you could rent? The latter might provide cross marketing opportunities as well.

Is there "value" in becoming licensed?

And, as Paul suggests, his offer might be attractive if it comes with fringe benefits like health care, retirement, etc. I think health care is different in Canada than in the U.S., but if any of it currently comes out of your pocket, and he would cover it, don't forget to include those costs in your value analysis.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The work conditions there are pretty easy going. And i get paid pretty good right now there. At the moment i have started my business not to long ago and i have customers i can do on weekends so i have decided to go for it. Can't go wrong with another skill in still young. Thank you for the answers i have been dwelling on it for about 2 weeks now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he offers a stable income source for you guys. While it might be tough on a young family, try to still hustle the weekends if you can. You can always make the break once you establish a solid client base and show the area quality work.(i.e. if you haven't already).

Why do you say "wait 3 years"? Is that how long he is proposing or is it to obtain a business license (or something else altogether).

Also, what are you doing for him? Detailing work or body repair/paint/buff outs?

Post Thanks / Like

seems like you should try & do both. If your boss has a body shop that seems like a good place to pick up detailing work. He seems willing to help. maybe you can get some dedicated garage space. then you'll be able to do some winter work. good luck, seem's like you're willing to put in the effort I'm sure you'll do well.
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like your boss sees something in you and he is willing to invest time and money in you. Learning a new marketable skill is never a mistake.

8. Likes Farmallluvr, Paul A., SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Davy, he probably appreciates your passion and/or work ethic.