autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cal-Tex protective coating

Just purchased a new 2018 red Chevy Silverado that had this protective coating applied to the paint. Also the interior was treated with another product from Cal-Tex. The cost was $899.00. I refused to pay anything for this treatment. It claims that if paint ever loses its gloss in three years they will pay to have it repaired or if interior gets stained from spills they will take care of that also. I washed the truck myself, don't trust anyone from a dealership to wash my vehicle. I noticed while washing that water did not bead at all and the paint surface was not slick.
    My question would be has anyone had experience with this company or their products and should I try to remove product from paint?
    It appears that every vehicle at this dealership had Cal-Tex protection applied. 500 vehicles at $899.00 a pop.
    I question whether anything was applied to the paint or is this just a way to make more money from those who don't know any better?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cal-Tex protective coating

Typically I always advise anyone I know, when purchasing a new vehicle to come and see me for a new vehicle prep package. With that said, when I purchased my new 2016 Mustang, it underwent about 15 hours of my prep, which included, full chemical and mechanical decon, wash, polish and coating with CQuartz UK and CQ DLUX on everything else.

LSN Auto Detailing - 2016 Mustang EB Prem PP - New Vehicle Prep

I wouldn't pay the dealer to do it as if they're not spending that kind of time and prep, who knows whats going on and how it will last. I typically tell the dealers, DO NOT DETAIL the vehicle. I'll take care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelman1 View Post
    Just purchased a new 2018 red Chevy Silverado that had this protective coating applied to the paint. Also the interior was treated with another product from Cal-Tex. The cost was $899.00. I refused to pay anything for this treatment. It claims that if paint ever loses its gloss in three years they will pay to have it repaired or if interior gets stained from spills they will take care of that also. I washed the truck myself, don't trust anyone from a dealership to wash my vehicle. I noticed while washing that water did not bead at all and the paint surface was not slick.
    My question would be has anyone had experience with this company or their products and should I try to remove product from paint?
    It appears that every vehicle at this dealership had Cal-Tex protection applied. 500 vehicles at $899.00 a pop.
    I question whether anything was applied to the paint or is this just a way to make more money from those who don't know any better?
    Sounds like they threw that $100 coating in to close the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Sounds like they threw that $100 coating in to close the deal.
    And a free bowl of soup.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our GM dealer uses Tri-Guard. One can polish it off just fine. Resistall it sounds like. A coating. Just polish it off and coat with something you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Just purchased a new 2018 red Chevy
    Silverado that had this protective coating
    applied to the paint. Also the interior was
    treated with another product from Cal-Tex.
    The cost was $899.00.

I refused to pay anything
    for this treatment.
    Good for you...I’m glad you didn’t
    pay for any of this “treatment”!

“Treatment”—Definition:
    •(Yet) another way a Dealership will deviate
    from their more traditional profiteering schemes
    in order to generate, what they must somehow
    believe is, an avant-garde revenue stream.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes LSNAutoDetailing, oneheadlite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, this was already applied to vehicle, I typically do all the detail work myself. Must be good stuff you can't even tell it was applied lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, this was already applied to vehicle, I typically do all the detail work myself. Must be good stuff you can't even tell it was applied lol.
    And how do you tell that the coating is on your paint or not? Special meter?

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure they put it on at some point. I’m unfamiliar with the product and kit it comes with and what the instructions say

Could be just apply after a wash but could be more thorough than that.

It’s a money maker for the dealer on the front end of the store. Majority of people don’t fight the charge or they would get rid of it. The few that do they can just let go because the profit margin on the other units more than covers the give away ones occasionally

No different when you buy electronics, appliances, furniture you need this protection plan !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In our area it's a spray can. Lol. They do the trick of spray paint on the hood and wipe it off. "See... look how much protection you have..." Warranty voided if you polish it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast