autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove expired tag sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are you in Hawaii? That's the only state I've ever lived which put them in that location and I found them impossible to remove. I still occasionally see cars at work with Hawaii inspection stickers years after the owner has moved back to the mainland.

I recall seeing these little metal plates people either attached to the bottom of the lisence plate bracket or mounted to hange below the bumper. The sticker was applied to the metal plate to save the paint. I have no idea if they were fabricated in a shop or actually purchased somewhere.
    Your correct. The dealer put the sticker on before I could get a stainless steel plate bought. On my previous iinspection, Midas removed the existing sticker, but I don't know how. I had another dealer for the current inspection sticker, but he put the new one over the old and now the edges are starting to peel back. I guess I'll see if Midas will give away their trade secret.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight heat gun

Sent from my Z798BL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Your correct. The dealer put the sticker on before I could get a stainless steel plate bought. On my previous iinspection, Midas removed the existing sticker, but I don't know how. I had another dealer for the current inspection sticker, but he put the new one over the old and now the edges are starting to peel back. I guess I'll see if Midas will give away their trade secret.
    That's no good. Hopefully Midas will let you know.

I found those stickers unlike anything I've encountered before. They might be indistructable and applied with some magical adhesive. After moving back to the mainland I tried several times to remove the inspection stickers on my wife's car without any success. I just treated them as a less obvious version of those bumper stickers people get showing where they went on vacation...only mine indicated where I lived. The vehicle was sold several years later with the stickers still looking pristine and quite firmly attacked.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried to remove this sort of stickers but there are several ways to remove stickers that works for pretty much anything.

The first thing is to use heat to soften the glue. If you have a heat gun, that is the fastest, otherwise a hair dryer works too and you can also use a steamer.

Once the sticker is really hot, you should be able to peel it off easilly. If not, use a razor blade.

Once the sticker is off, you need to use an adhesive remover to remove the glue. If you are gonna put an other sticker there, this step is optional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I have never tried to remove this sort of stickers but there are several ways to remove stickers that works for pretty much anything.

The first thing is to use heat to soften the glue. If you have a heat gun, that is the fastest, otherwise a hair dryer works too and you can also use a steamer.

Once the sticker is really hot, you should be able to peel it off easilly. If not, use a razor blade.

Once the sticker is off, you need to use an adhesive remover to remove the glue. If you are gonna put an other sticker there, this step is optional.
    I would not hesitate to use a heat gun on paint, but on a plastic bumper... Dunno!

Post Thanks / Like

What do these mandatory stickers look like? They sound aggravating. Lol.

So heat gun on the paint is cool, but acid based wheel cleaner on wheels is a no go for you? Mkay. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not hesitate to use a heat gun on paint, but on a plastic bumper... Dunno!
    On a plastic bumper? From what the OP said, it's on the license plate. I have used heat guns on plastic bumper covers before. It's the same thing as on paint. You are not supposed to heat the sticker so much that it would damage the paint. It should be cool enough that you can put your hand on it without burning yourself. The pain becomes too high to keep your hand on something is around 60 celcius (140F) and that is cooler than a black panel gets in the blazing summer sun. Plastic is not gonna melt at that temperature either.

Now, using a heat gun is more risky, you have to be careful on how you use it and test often. If you want to be super careful a hair dryer takes much longer to get the same temperature on the sticker but is not gonna hurt anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What do these mandatory stickers look like? They sound aggravating. Lol.

So heat gun on the paint is cool, but acid based wheel cleaner on wheels is a no go for you? Mkay. Lol.
    We had them here in Quebec for a few years. It was a small sticker abour 2 inches by 1 inch with the year on it. It was applied on the lower corner of the license plate (see picture).

How to remove expired tag sticker?-1983_qu-bec_license_plate_gbr_822-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

On a plastic bumper? From what the OP said, it's on the license plate. I have used heat guns on plastic bumper covers before. It's the same thing as on paint. You are not supposed to heat the sticker so much that it would damage the paint. It should be cool enough that you can put your hand on it without burning yourself. The pain becomes too high to keep your hand on something is around 60 celcius (140F) and that is cooler than a black panel gets in the blazing summer sun. Plastic is not gonna melt at that temperature either.

Now, using a heat gun is more risky, you have to be careful on how you use it and test often. If you want to be super careful a hair dryer takes much longer to get the sme temperature on the sticker but is not gonna hurt anything.
    I'm not a painter, but from what I understand, the paint on the metal panels is harder than the paint on plastic bumpers because of a flexing agent that is used in the paint. This makes correcting paint on a bumper much more delicate than on a metal panel. In my case I would be reluctant to using a heat gun on my bumper.

Post Thanks / Like

We had them here in Quebec for a few years. It was a small sticker abour 2 inches by 1 inch with the year on it. It was applied on the lower corner of the license plate (see picture).

How to remove expired tag sticker?-1983_qu-bec_license_plate_gbr_822-jpg
    That doesn’t look like a problem at all... I’m wondering about the stickers they put on peoples bumpers.

On another note..what about safety inspection stickers on plastic bumpers?
    Like what he’s referring to.How to remove expired tag sticker?How to remove expired tag sticker?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast