autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tiny Town of Paradise, CA Where it All Started For Me, Erased by Camp Fire!

Just looked at Paradise, CA on Google Earth. That's a bigger town than what I had thought based on the news reports. 90% of that is a lot of destruction.

2. Thanks Coach Steve thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for the anguish your parents are suffering right now Coach. The Sierra Nevadas are usually so beautiful and heavenly. It is hard to believe that everyone is going through hell right now. We make frequent trips to Lake Tahoe and often ran into people from Paradise and surrounding areas.

4. Thanks Coach Steve thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to give some people an idea of how big this fire is, even 160 miles away the air is thick. This picture was taken at my day job an hour ago (11:30 am)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Coach Steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Steve, thanks for sharing your story. The loss of life and devastation has been utterly tragic. Watching the video's of those who made it out at the last second driving down the roads was horrifying. Then to think of the hundreds unaccounted for. I'm glad your family made it out and you know where they are. Hopefully they can make it this way throughout the holidays.

On NPR they spoke with the town officials and the word "rebuild" is out of the question at this point. For those not aware, that is how bad it is.
    Our thoughts and prayers to your family and the thousands of others affected.
    Thanks, Paul. Words like "apocalyptic" "war zone" Hell on Earth".... they seem so cliche but in this case, I honestly don't think they adequately describe and convey the sheer devastation and destruction that took place there. The thing that made it so horrific was the wind driving the flames through the super dry area which ultimately became like jet fuel propelling the blaze forward and generating heat that melted everything that wouldn't actually catch fire, steel, aluminum, etc. Areas that weren't even in the direct path of the fire spontaneously erupted into flames due to the sheer heat.

One video I watched was shot by a guy starting from the time he got in his truck until he ultimately gets past the gridlock and away to safety. It's shot in real time and is 20 mins. long. At the beginning of the video, you can see smoke in the sky overhead but visibility isn't affected and flames are visible off in the distance and are rather spotty. 10 mins. into the video, visibility is reduced to near zero and everything on both sides of the road are completely engulfed with branches falling onto the roadway as he and other vehicles are racing in their attempts to avoid certain death.

Rebuilding is not something that can even be discussed right now. Infrastructure is nonexistent. The reservoir that serves the town is empty. Power may not be restored to anything that remained for months. Forestry personnel will have months if not years of work ahead of them removing trees that are in danger of falling - some of these Ponderosa pines are over 150' tall. Cleaning up this large an area and making it livable again will take unknown amounts of time.

My parents were a week away form heading out on the road in their RV for a few months so they had been packing their day to day stuff in their trailer ahead of their departure date which would have been today. My mom grabbed what she could in 30 mins. and threw it in the trailer while my dad got the truck hooked up and ready to leave. Their property is on Skyway, the main road in and out of town. They live at the north end of town. When they got to the end of their driveway, traffic was already backed up that far . Flames were now at their property line and they could see their shed had already caught fire. No one would let them into traffic. Everyone was panicking. About 5 mins into this wait for someone to let them in, a Forestry truck that was heading north toward the fire, saw what was happening and stopped traffic long enough for them to pull out and get on their way. Had it not been for that forest ranger, their story quite possibly might not have had as happy of an ending.

They're one of the lucky ones. They have a roof over their heads that belongs to them, they have most of their day to day stuff and they'll be fine until a more permanent plan is made. We have family that live nearby that have already come got them and one of my cousins drove their rig to my aunt's house that has plenty of room to park it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    Crazy man. I’m in Danville, so we are still covered in smoke. Just a tragic situation. I hope your folks are hanging in there.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    We moved from Dublin to Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    It is indeed a terrible terrible tragedy. No doubt you are at wits end trying to help your folks. Prayers are offered for all of you.
    Thanks Rick. my folks are being well cared for by members of my enormous Mormon family. They're going to be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Just looked at Paradise, CA on Google Earth. That's a bigger town than what I had thought based on the news reports. 90% of that is a lot of destruction.
    It is. To give some perspective, the town covers about 85,000 acres which equates to almost 133 sq. miles, all of which burned in just over 9 hours.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
    It breaks my heart to see the destruction of the place where I got my feet wet in this business, and it makes me even sadder to see my 80+ year old parents homeless and facing a seemingly impossible uphill battle to once again have something they can call home.

Just felt like sharing my story. Thanks for reading.
    Beautiful thread starter on such a sad event
    People of that age have a resilience that other Generations have no awareness of.
    Thanks for the motivation.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12