autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone own a Lexus IS350?

I’m looking into getting a new car since selling my Tacoma.(Love how Toyota’s retain their value sold for $4500 with 280k miles!) I’m really liking the IS models and I think I would like the naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 over the 200t which features a turbo 4 cylinder if I remember correctly. Anyways I’m just wondering if there’s any problems or small things you dislike or like with your IS350. I’m looking at the years 2014-2017. Also could consider a higher mileage GS model

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone own a Lexus IS350?

I can't address ownership issues, but in the hunt for my next vehicle I've driven several for extended periods of time. Here are my thoughts:

- I'd highly recommend the RWD over the AWD. The transmission in the RWD not only has more gears, but it's more responsive. Also the AWD model felt more nose heavy and not as tossable as the RWD
    - Go F-Sport for the better ride/suspension, and fantastic seats
    - The 200T and 300 are guttless wonders. I found driving them very frustrating due to the lack of power. An F-Sport IS350 would be the only trim I'd consider. It's not as quick as the horespower specs would lead you to expect due to throttle calibration and overall weight, but at least it will move if pushed hard enough.
    - Spend some time working the interface for the entertainment system. The joystick is very strange and not well implemented (IMO). I'm not sure I'd like using it on a daily basis. Fortunately there are some speed buttons and in '17 models on (I think) the voice controls were expanded to do everthing including rasing/lowering the temp on the climate control.
    - Material quality is pretty high except for a few of the plastic bits on center dash area.
    - The interior is very quiet well past legal speeds
    - In "Sport+" mode, it corners quite flat and is pretty fun to drive.

Depending on the desired price point you're shopping, it would be hard to beat. It won't perform like a RWD BMW 340, but it could be a very satisfying daily driver with the V6 and RWD.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Thanks Breese147 thanked for this post
    Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I can't address ownership issues, but in the hunt for my next vehicle I've driven several for extended periods of time. Here are my thoughts:

- I'd highly recommend the RWD over the AWD. The transmission in the RWD not only has more gears, but it's more responsive. Also the AWD model felt more nose heavy and not as tossable as the RWD
    - Go F-Sport for the better ride/suspension, and fantastic seats
    - The 200T and 300 are guttless wonders. I found driving them very frustrating due to the lack of power. An F-Sport IS350 would be the only trim I'd consider. It's not as quick as the horespower specs would lead you to expect due to throttle calibration and overall weight, but at least it will move if pushed hard enough.
    - Spend some time working the interface for the entertainment system. The joystick is very strange and not well implemented (IMO). I'm not sure I'd like using it on a daily basis. Fortunately there are some speed buttons and in '17 models on (I think) the voice controls were expanded to do everthing including rasing/lowering the temp on the climate control.
    - Material quality is pretty high except for a few of the plastic bits on center dash area.
    - The interior is very quiet well past legal speeds
    - In "Sport+" mode, it corners quite flat and is pretty fun to drive.

Depending on the desired price point you're shopping, it would be hard to beat. It won't perform like a RWD BMW 340, but it could be a very satisfying daily driver with the V6 and RWD.
    Thanks for the advice sad to hear the AWD is sluggish I was really considering that version. I was originally interested in a Subaru STI but they’re either a hit or miss and hard to find one unmodified for a good price. I was definitely considering an F sport and I think I’m set on that rioja red as my interior colorAnyone own a Lexus IS350? and yeah the 200t puts out somewhere in 240hp which is low but I was considering a tune and bolt one to give it a little more umf. And yes I’ve heard the mouse/joystick is a pain. Good to hear also that the interior stays quiet/comfortable that’s definitely gonna be an upgrade for myself. Hopefully going to test drive a couple next week and compare apples to apples 14-17 and see which year I’m set on looking out for.

Post Thanks / Like

We have an IS350 F Sport 2014 with 30k (we also have a 2016 bmw M4 and 2018 Cayman S manual tranny) so how good is the IS 350. Comfort wise the Is 350 n M4 have very similar comfy seats, but ride wise the IS350 on long rides (4 to 8 hrs) is hands down better. The M4 after 3 hours on a highway makes your brain go bonkers as it is way to noisy (tires,suspension);but 4 hours on windy roads is a blast with the M4. The Is 350 is AWD and turn on the Fsport + and on turns it rocks (the tail on the M4 can get squirrely on sharp turns (but I do need new rear tires , only 14 k on them but they are shot). Straight line the M4 will knock your head back, the IS 350 not bad but not an M4.
    The Cayman S is a total go cart in my book and the funniest to drive(it is glued to the road on turns). Only 980 miles so it has a break in yet before we can reAlly see what it does. Long drives on a interstate highway no. Long rides on back cruising roads ,yes.
    Overall, I have fun in all three cars. The IS 350 Fsport is comfortable n fun to drive especially with the paddle shifter. Hopefully that helps

6. Thanks Breese147 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks it does! Good to hear from the other side AWD model. Surprised to even hear you comparing it to a M4. Makes me think about the value/quality of the Lexus brand. Thanks for the help, sounds like the F sport options is now set in stone for the sport+ mode purely.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the info helps,just make sure it is an Fsport. Others may disagree with my analysis but it is what it is. The M4 does have better engine/exhaust sound if that’s what folks are into and it is fast,thus u have to control it more so u don’t crash it . I just ceramic coated the the IS350 for winter( it even has a snow mode). The M4 doesn’t leave the house when snow around,way to many hills here in PA. Good luck

9. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an '09 IS350 as a toy. Smoky granite exterior w Black interior. After a kid and new house I sold it in 2016 with 76k for $15,000.

That car was awesome. Smooth handling and acceleration. Lexus service was very accommodating as well. I can't say anything bad about it.

Pop for the F sport. Then get some Pinnacle products to pamper it with.

11. Thanks Breese147 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We just got rid of our 16 350 F Sport. While it was a nice car we never had a problem with, I hated the seating position and cabin in general, felt so cramped compared to BMW 3 series I've owned in the past. I also hated the info unit with a passion. It did drive nice and was peppy, but I wasn't sad to see it go. I also absolutely hated the fact it was virtually indistinguishable from the 200's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I will admit some of the 3 series are surprisingly full of space. I like BMWs but you never hear of too many going 200k miles plus. I plan to own this car for at least 5-10 years and living in Texas everything is easily 20-30 miles away so mileage racks up quick here.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an M4 but I keep the miles low. We use the IS350 more as it will last with lots of miles on it. Look at the miles on bmw {not years) and see how long they last. My buddy had a 3 series and at 55k it had all kinds of problems . Yea I just got rid of my Acura TL after 19 years n 189k. So time will tell . I am sure some bmws have 200 k on them, just haven’t heard much

16. Thanks Breese147 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast