autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unidentified Fluid in Gas Tank of a Generator

This is phase separation from the rotten ethanol gasoline we are forced to use today.

It not only separates, it attacks most plastics, diaphragms (think 2-stroke carbs), and even fiberglass.

In addition to draining the tank, you also need to empty the carburetor bowl. Some carburetor bowls have drains.

Always use a stabilizer, run the tank empty, then drain the bowl.

Or, if you can obtain some non-ethanol gasoline and run that, that would be the ideal thing to do.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What PaulMys said,,I live in farm country and one of the local stations carries "recreation" fuel which is supposed to be used off road but I put some in the truck every so often ,,it loves it!

it is pricey though,,about a dollar more than reg unleaded
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    What PaulMys said,,I live in farm country and one of the local stations carries "recreation" fuel which is supposed to be used off road but I put some in the truck every so often ,,it loves it!

it is pricey though,,about a dollar more than reg unleaded
    ZOWIE! I thought the 50˘ extra I pay was bad, gues not.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

So I replaced the shut off valve and the bushing. I could have just ordered the bushing since that’s what was damaged but I didn’t realize they were two different items. Oh well. It was a pain in the rear to get the new pieces in place. Added new gas but it still didn’t fire up. I took the carburetor bowl out and there was some liquid and gelatinous yellow gunk in it. Yuk! I wiped that off and replaced. I didn’t dismantle the carb and just replaced the bowl. Still nothing. The engine turns over once but I don’t it hearing trying to catch. I ran out of time so I’ll have to try again next weekend. Will take out the carburetor and clean it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    So I replaced the shut off valve and the bushing. I could have just ordered the bushing since that’s what was damaged but I didn’t realize they were two different items. Oh well. It was a pain in the rear to get the new pieces in place. Added new gas but it still didn’t fire up. I took the carburetor bowl out and there was some liquid and gelatinous yellow gunk in it. Yuk! I wiped that off and replaced. I didn’t dismantle the carb and just replaced the bowl. Still nothing. The engine turns over once but I don’t it hearing trying to catch. I ran out of time so I’ll have to try again next weekend. Will take out the carburetor and clean it.
    What engine (brand) is powering this generator?

If it is a Honda, their carbs are notoriously finicky, be it generators, snow blowers, outboards, whatever. If it is Honda powered, I'd just replace the carb out of hand. Don't waste money on rebuild kits.

Other brands, (Briggs, Kohler, etc) will be easier to install a rebuild kit.

Any older carburetors that are fitted with a rubber seat are doomed with the use of ethanol gas. It swells the seat up to the point of just letting gas drip through instead of flow through once the float and needle drop.

You can PM me at any time to talk more in-depth about this if you would like.

7. Likes hooked liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

If it is a Honda, their carbs are notoriously finicky, be it generators, snow blowers, outboards, whatever. If it is Honda powered, I'd just replace the carb out of hand. Don't waste money on rebuild kits.

Any older carburetors that are fitted with a rubber seat are doomed with the use of ethanol gas. It swells the seat up to the point of just letting gas drip through instead of flow through once the float and needle drop.

Agreed about the Honda carbs which is why I stopped buying the push mowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. It is a Briggs & Stratton engine. I think it’s about 10 years old. When Hurricane dude picked it up last year, it wasn’t working but I heard that he got it running.

I will try to dismantle and clean the jets of the carburetor this weekend to see if that helps. I do have a Honda engine mower and have had to unclog the carb a couple of times and I’ve watched YouTube vids on how to dismantle the B&S carb and seems pretty straightforward. Hopefully, that’ll do the trick. If not, you’ll be hearing from me!

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Agreed about the Honda carbs which is why I stopped buying the push mowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Before I moved to Florida in 2015, I had a Honda snowblower that worked flawlessly from 1996-2015

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    Before I moved to Florida in 2015, I had a Honda snowblower that worked flawlessly from 1996-2015
    Awesome machines. Sounds like you took great care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    Awesome machines. Sounds like you took great care of it.
    Picked up an early 2000’s 8hp Honda snowblower from a friend a couple years ago and absolutely love it. Works like a brand new machine.

Question for anyone familiar with them- Is there a recommended interval for changing the hydrostatic fluid?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast