autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unidentified Fluid in Gas Tank of a Generator

I recently “inherited” a gas powered generator from my in-laws. Basically, my mother-in-law got tired of it taking up room in her backyard shed. This generator was loaned out to someone during the last hurricane and it took a while for him to be convinced to give it back.

Well, I finally got around to testing it out and I opened the gas cap and saw it still had “gas” in the tank. I tried to start it up and it turned over once but failed to start. As I was fiddling with it (no mechanical experience here), I turned the knob for the gas shut off valve a couple times and the whole component disconnected from the tank. “Gas” came gushing out and I quickly reinserted the valve into the tank to stop the gusher. That’s when I realized that the liquid in the tank was not gas. It has a certain odor but it’s definitely not gasoline and it is clear, almost like water and not oily. I can’t describe the smell, but it is not as pungent as gas and it doesn’t burn the nose as gas would.

I am wondering if the dude that borrowed it added some sort of storage liquid to it. I have no experience with this so I wouldn’t even know what it looks or smells like.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unidentified Fluid in Gas Tank of a Generator

I remember Amoco Ultimate 93 used to be a clear, colorless gas that had a different odor but the Amoco brand has not existed for 10 years. BP is resurrecting the brand name in select locations but I don't know if they are still selling the "white gas".
    Drain and remove whatever is in the tank of that generator and put in some fresh fuel.

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I ordered a replacement valve since the current one seems to be damaged. That’s why it dislodged so easily from the bottom of the tank as I was trying to shut it. It looks like the ring that forms the seal with the gas tank disintegrated. I didn’t want to add gas until I got the new one.

I’m still curious what this stuff is. Now that I think of it, the smell reminds me of a Dry Erase marker. It’s chemically, but not super strong.

There was at least a couple of gallons in the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

What does it taste like.....if I could help I would mineral spirits?

Post Thanks / Like

It has a fruity bouquet with a hint of oak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    It sounds like Merlot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    It sounds like Merlot.
    More like an I-Dunno.

9. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Not sure if it was your intention, but this made me laugh out loud. I prefer my mystery liquids unoaked...

I’m with Uncle Davy. Drain that stuff and dispose of it. I get being curious as to what it is, but I’d leave it at “Liquid that the generator didn’t run on”. I use non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel for all my small engines/infrequent use gas engines so there’s less likelihood of the alcohol to absorb water and cause trouble. A dose of sea foam or similar fuel treatment wouldn’t hurt either.

Let us know how it goes with the new valve!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Not sure if it was your intention, but this made me laugh out loud. I prefer my mystery liquids unoaked...

I’m with Uncle Davy. Drain that stuff and dispose of it. I get being curious as to what it is, but I’d leave it at “Liquid that the generator didn’t run on”. I use non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel for all my small engines/infrequent use gas engines so there’s less likelihood of the alcohol to absorb water and cause trouble. A dose of sea foam or similar fuel treatment wouldn’t hurt either.

Let us know how it goes with the new valve!
    Thanks, I will. What I’m afraid if is that the dude that borrowed the generator from my in-laws and tried to keep it might have put something in to damage it.

Last year when a hurricane brushed South Florida, it knocked out power for a lot of people. My in-laws’ house got power back the next day and we were all over there when this guy asked my f-i-l to borrow the generator. He came by the next morning and drove it away in his truck. Months later, my f-i-l asked for it back and the guy kept saying he was too busy or couldn’t bring it back. He sure found a way to pick it up in a hurry.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is old gas with ethanol it can absorb water. I have had it happened the equipment we seldom use. Try draining and put fresh gas. Also add Startron additive to your fuel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast