autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving to the Sarasota/Bradenton Area

Well, sometimes change is good.

I haven't been very active on the forum lately due to my work and my part time detailing business.

The engineering/testing company I work for part time just landed a big roadway project in the Sarasota/Bradenton area of FL and they asked me if I would be interested in managing the project.

Since I have wanted to move to that area anyway for a while, I accepted. Which means switching over to full time with this company and an increase in pay (I can handle that ).

Hopefully I will be able to find some time for detailing since I enjoy it and would like to continue to practice the skills I've learned over the last few years. Seems like there are new and improved products being introduced in the detailing world at an ever increasing rate and I would like to keep up with the latest.

I will miss going to the makeovers at Autogeek and working along side my fellow detailing friends.

It's been a blessing living close enough to attend the makeovers and the classes hosted by Mike Phillips and to be able to learn from, work with, and along side one of the best detailers in the industry...probably the most dedicated person to his craft that I've met and has an amazing work ethic, a super person to get to know.

Actually it's only about 3 hours from West Palm Beach to Sarasota, so it's close enough that I can make the trip over to Stuart occasionally for some special events.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving to the Sarasota/Bradenton Area

My Mother lived in Venice from '80-'03, so I'm very familiar with that area, and Sarasota.

My childhood buddy James lives in Sarasota, he founded one of the Car Clubs there, KARA, and him and wife DJ all the shows in the area playing all the oldies. He calls himself "Cadillac Jimmy", wife's name's Joanie, he has a black '65 Caddy, and the wife has a "41 Pontiac Rod that's been in her family since new.

They do lots of charity events for MIAs, Veterans, the needy, and commonly have a lot of the shows at the Culvers Diners in that area.

Lots of good places to eat in Sarasota-Venice, the sunsets on the beaches are beautiful, nice gulf breezes, but yeah it does get a bit brutal trying to detail in mid summer, high heat, and high humidity also. Tropical weather of course.

Downsides are of course the tropical storms, and there's been a number of times myself traveling up and down I-75 in downpours, and there's vehicles scattered all over in the ditches, too dumb many are apparently to slow down from that 75mph speed limit when weather conditions are bad.

Tons of car clubs down there, and many really great shows with some really fantastic rides. People are generally pretty mellow in the area, nice relaxed lifestyle they enjoy.

Wish you the best of luck and happiness there.

3. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very exciting news Frank! Welcome to the west coast!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

5. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info Mark!

I'll be looking out for Cadillac Jimmy and Joanie at the car shows.

I'm used to the tropical weather, lived in West Palm Beach practically all my life and have rode through every hurricane that has come through there since 1961. Only a few have been direct hits in all that time. I think the strongest one to hit directly was a category 2 or 3 and we just lost some shingles on the roof, no major damage.

They will actually be widening a 6 mile stretch of I-75 & SR 70, that's the project I will be working on.

I've visited there many times and you're right, more of a relaxed lifestyle over there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Very exciting news Frank! Welcome to the west coast!
    Thanks Scott, looking forward to it.

Naples is a nice place too.

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember back in the 80's, one place called South Oyster Bar, Oysters were a nickel, and at some other places they were a dime each, opened, with fresh condiments.

And the Crow's Nest in Venice on the Jetty, used to have a happy hour 4-6pm, drinks were a buck, wet bar with fresh Oysters and Boiled Shrimp either/or were 5 for a dollar, and you put your money in a spittoon.

I'm pretty sure the Crow's Nest is still there, has changed hands a number of times, still good food, but the last time I was there in 2003, things got a bit more "pricey".

Walts Fish Market is still there in Sarasota, been there a long time, fresh Deep Fried Gator Nuggets and such local fare.

In the early years when I first traveled there, Sarasota-Bradenton Airport was nothing more than a large garage basically, you walked from the Plane-Tarmac to the little Terminal to get your baggage. Now it's a very nice Airport.

Venice Ave in Venice is pretty cool. Lots of nice little shops, often very nice thrift shops with lots of great stuff.

Publix is a pretty nice local Grocery for most items.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to visit some of those places Mark.

One of my cousins is moving to Port Charlotte, FL after many years in the Chicago area. I'll have to check out Venice when I visit him.

Palm Beach airport used to be a military airfield many years ago. Now it's an "International" airport.

I'm familiar with Publix, nice grocery store, that's where I buy my groceries now. My favorite grocery store down here. They have really grown, I think they are in some other southern states now. I know they have some in Georgia because my other cousin works there.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Frank.

Thats pretty cool, good for you my friend. I obviously don't know the Sarasota/Bradenton Area but I'm sure it's fantastic. Now Frank, I don't wanna hear any complaining about how far away you are from Autogeek okay . . . Me, well I can complain.

Congratulations on the new role mate.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

11. Likes FrankS, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Play time!

Lots of shows here to do, lots of good people around as well.

Hurry up!

(I can always use the help as well)

13. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I can remember back in the 80's, one place called South Oyster Bar, Oysters were a nickel, and at some other places they were a dime each, opened, with fresh condiments.

And the Crow's Nest in Venice on the Jetty, used to have a happy hour 4-6pm, drinks were a buck, wet bar with fresh Oysters and Boiled Shrimp either/or were 5 for a dollar, and you put your money in a spittoon.

I'm pretty sure the Crow's Nest is still there, has changed hands a number of times, still good food, but the last time I was there in 2003, things got a bit more "pricey".

Walts Fish Market is still there in Sarasota, been there a long time, fresh Deep Fried Gator Nuggets and such local fare.

In the early years when I first traveled there, Sarasota-Bradenton Airport was nothing more than a large garage basically, you walked from the Plane-Tarmac to the little Terminal to get your baggage. Now it's a very nice Airport.

Venice Ave in Venice is pretty cool. Lots of nice little shops, often very nice thrift shops with lots of great stuff.

Publix is a pretty nice local Grocery for most items.
    Walt's is still GREAT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast