autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Telsa going private

Interesting... haven't checked the Telsa site lately. Going there now...

Back. Still no Model 3 test drives available in my city. It has me at 2-4 months to get one. Fully loaded AWD is $78,500. Take off the performance package and it's $73,500. Take off another $8K if I drop both enhanced and auto pilot and full self driving. No point in not getting all the auto-driving features imo, so that's not something I would drop. I can add both of the these for an additional $3K.

Assuming they tax rebate is still available when I got mine I'd be at $66K net to me without the performance option.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I thought his comment on Twitter was just that, an off-comment on twitter. Hard to take a company like that privately if you don't have the capital, and that is what the SEC is trying to figure out. On a recent news article, the SEC is took his statement very seriously and is asking where that cash going to come from. SEC stated it's somewhat illegal for a company leader to make financial comments like that.

My concerns about Tesla is the long haul. Musk seems to be a fly by the seat of your pants millionaire (billionaire??). The issues I have, which is why I'd never buy one is the ranging question, is Tesla really a car company or a software company who's software is deployed to cars. The car is completely dependent on the proprietary software. It's not like you can pop into any mechanics shop and get something sorted out.

Tesla controls it's parts very tightly, especially anything that it's software controls. You can't do your own repairs, (although few are starting too and go on Youtube...) and they won't sell you parts. The batteries, while powerful are extremely dangerous. If the vehicle is in an accident, totaled vehicles usually sit for a very long time before Tesla reclaims them from junk yards. This is causing a huge issue with environmentalists, with batteries sitting in fields exposed to all kinds of weather, etc. I can only paraphrase what I've read and seen on You Tube. Regular vehicles can be drained of fluids, crushed and recycled. Parts can come off and go to shops for discounted repairs.

Getting back to the software, updates are made on the fly from the company, see the recent article of Model 3's getting shorter braking distances after customer complaints. Bang, overnight the change was pushed out to unsuspecting owners... All of a sudden you get in the vehicle and things have changed over-night, including driving characteristics. These are items that should go out by way of recalls, notices or even TSB's. What happens when Tesla thinks it's time for you to upgrade to a new model like Apple did with the iPhone??

While I realize software runs most of all our modern day car functions, it's a static flash. Meaning, Ford can't come in over night and change my car overnight.
    Then there is the future. The guy at the helm.... he's definitely a genius, but what is the future of for Tesla... That's what the SEC is trying to find out.

I'll pass on a Tesla, I love the idea, thanks, but no thanks.

3. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Daven75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree that that are applying a software licensing model to a car. And most of their decisions about repairs are repellent to me. Like an Apple device (imo), you have to fully jump on board or there's no point. FYI, I very intentionally don't own any Apple devices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I think the Volt has the best solution: 100% battery until it needs more juice, then a gas powered generator. Let's you go all electric for most commuting and also capable of long trips.
    That's my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    ...But my hope was that by now hydrogen technology would be at least as prevalent as all-electric. That's the direction I wanted to go. In fact, I bought a 2003 vehicle with the plan that it would be my last internal combustion car. Boy was I wrong.
    My understanding was that most hydrogen comes from methane (CH4)...no idea where the carbon goes in the process. You can make hydrogen out of water but it's very energy intensive which defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    I don't like the electric alternative. I don't see that as a viable way to reduce either our dependence on fossil fuels, nor our need to reduce CO2 emissions. At least until we return to nuclear power again (or find some still unknown source of electric supply).
    Yeah, we're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    By hydrogen, you mean fuel cells? I recall that GM spent years working on fuel cell technology and I expected to see something. Guessing that didn't pan out?
    I'm not sure about GM, but Hyundai and Honda are selling fuel cell vehicles, I believe Toyota, also. Limited markets though, you have to have hydrogen stations to go to. I think it's just CA.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    In 5-7 years, there will be electric and gas, no hybrids.....virtually all mfrs have said that. Batt tech will make some huge breakthrus very soon, esp the time it takes to charge. You can't have charging stations all over the United States, even if one was outside your house, if it takes hours and hours to charge, that will just overload the system and you can't put 100 chargers in front of a Starbucks…Like I said above, charging needs to take the same time it takes to fill up with gas for it to penetrate Mr. and Mrs. middle America, not just the eclectic west coasters or early adopters…
    Are you saying no "plug-in" hybrids? Because hybrids make sense to improve the efficiency of ICE vehicles. I'm skeptical that we are that close to having full charge times of five minutes, to restore a range of 2-300 miles...something's gotta get really hot to do that. You sound like you know, we'll see what happens. I guess it's time for me to go watch that hour-long YouTube of the industry talk show where they talk about the future of electric, that I've been putting off watching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, we're doomed.
    Just looking at the data (I'm a data guy by profession), it doesn't look good. Leaving the politics out, the warming trend and the the increase is CO2 are both concerning. The hope that heat transfer of the atmosphere and surface are complex is ways we don't fully understand. So maybe it's more resilient. But for now it looks like the warmer parts of the planet are going to get increasingly uncomfortable going forward. No way to tell how far it will go.

EDIT: A least one dislike. Curious as to why. The data is the data and the trends are the trends. I'm not judging it one way or the other.

7. Dislikes Bobh59 disliked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12