autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Angry at myself

Post Thanks / Like

Angry at myself

Man... I had the chance to work on a beautiful Genesis G80 today. Combo detail with full interior, and exterior wash and wax.

The owner got the car in December so it was kinda dirty, with lots of dust, salt and some dirt from the kids in the back.

I got pictures for before and after of the interior then moved to the exterior.

Took the before pictures, washed the car. Then for the first time in my career I noticed Dealer installed swirls on the trunk. They are not common here. The guy who buffed the car left a bunch of holograms all over the trunk. There were also very minor scratches on 2 spots on the car and the front bumper has been blasted with a lot bugs and rock and wasn't looking too good for an almost new car.

The owner was at work so I decided to modify the work I did for him. The package includes full wheel detail where I wash the barils, wheel wells and a scrub until everything is perfectly clean. Takes me about 10 to 15 mins per wheel. So I cut that to rinseless wash of the wheel so I could use the extra time to polish the trunk, scratches and front bumper.

Did that, holograms disapeared easilly using Rupes 21 with orange foam pad and M205 (4 slow passes). I then sealed with Optimum Car Wax.

Did the same for the scratches and the bumper. Scratches vanished (they were not deep at all it seems) and the front bumper looked better but would need so serious correction to bring it back to what I would consider acceptable.

I talked to the owner when he came home and explained all this. The car was covered in swirl marks, not deep but still frustrating to see on a new car. He then told me that he took it to a hand wash car wash... explained to him the errors of his ways and sent him a how to wash video I made to help him save his paint

With all that, I completelly forgot to take after pictures.... ARG! The Genesis G80 is a really nice car too! I think they will take a good segment of the market if they can market it right.

Tomorrow I have to go back to the same place for his brother's car. I just hope that the car will still be pristine by then and that he will be there too

Gonna do some picture editing tonight but I have to be in bed in 2 hours so I am not sure i will have time to put them up tonight. If I do I will link.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Angry at myself

I think I speak for most when I say "You are forgiven", bud.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it’s all good. You did the important stuff (took care of the car).

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, 2 hours of photo editing and i am not done ;( Will have to wait till tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get after picture of the exterior But Montreal is such a dirty city, I bet the car will be covered in dust ;(

Post Thanks / Like

You did what you thought was best and I am sure the owner both understood that and appreciated it. Be comfortable with that and don't beat yourself up mentally.

Post Thanks / Like

No worries! Keep on Rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    You did what you thought was best and I am sure the owner both understood that and appreciated it. Be comfortable with that and don't beat yourself up mentally.
    Wasn't angry about that... Was angry about not taking pictures If I had thought doing paint correction instead of doing a deep cleaning of wheels was a bad idea, I would not have done it.

Unfortunatelly, I was not able to take pictures today either. The car was there but the way it was parked there was no way to take usable pictures... Doing their third vehicle tomorrow, fingers crossed LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Their coming Bob, hold on to your sombrero!