autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How much would you charge????

How much would you charge your neighbor as a paying customer just doing a basic detail on vehicle like your own.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much would you charge????

One hundred bucks

3. Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cost of materials unless I was using their car to try a new coating in which case, nothing.

5. Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My hourly rate x number of hours + incidentals + additional services = how much I would charge

We've actually got pretty good at estimating, right down to exact amount of time (timing certain tasks and making notes) so we can break out each task and assign a sub-time to it. In doing so, knowing how long a job (and all it's sub-steps) should take will make quoting and estimates much easier.

7. Likes PaulMys, custmsprty, 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    My hourly rate x number of hours + incidentals + additional services = how much I would charge

We've actually got pretty good at estimating, right down to exact amount of time (timing certain tasks and making notes) so we can break out each task and assign a sub-time to it. In doing so, knowing how long a job (and all it's sub-steps) should take will make quoting and estimates much easier.
    ^^ this. For buddies and nieghbors, etc. I tend to give them a 50% break on my labor if they are willing to roll up sleeves and help out. It's not required but encouraged to bring some adult beverages too I really only do this on my entry package and what I do is have them work on the wheels, final drying and then wiping off any products.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    ^^ this. For buddies and nieghbors, etc. I tend to give them a 50% break on my labor if they are willing to roll up sleeves and help out. It's not required but encouraged to bring some adult beverages too I really only do this on my entry package and what I do is have them work on the wheels, final drying and then wiping off any products.
    I hear ya... For us it's really no different for neighbors. A neighbor has an A7 and BMW 5 series. He's seen the Porches the R8's come and go and he popped over to see me. I told him I'd gladly give him a quote on his vehicles. My numbers still stand... we don't discount. I learned that lesson a long time ago. There is nothing worse than getting into a long tedious job and kicking yourself halfway through it because you discounted. I dislike that feeling. The attention to detail and professionalism comes at a price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    I hear ya... For us it's really no different for neighbors. A neighbor has an A7 and BMW 5 series. He's seen the Porches the R8's come and go and he popped over to see me. I told him I'd gladly give him a quote on his vehicles. My numbers still stand... we don't discount. I learned that lesson a long time ago. There is nothing worse than getting into a long tedious job and kicking yourself halfway through it because you discounted. I dislike that feeling. The attention to detail and professionalism comes at a price.
    Bingo!

I spent my '20's working on friend's and "Friend's" boats for a discount.

Hours of labor as hard or harder than what I got paid for at my job. $500 job for 50 bucks and a case of beer? Uhhh........ no.

With detailing now, whenever a neighbor asks, I cut them short with "I barely have time to do the truck and her Jeep"...........

Which is almost true.......... But I can't deal with slave labor any more.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The “buddy rate” is material cost plus beer. That’s for friends, my neighbors are not my friends and I charge them full rate.

14. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The “buddy rate” is material cost plus beer. That’s for friends, my neighbors are not my friends and I charge them full rate.
    Agreed. My buddies and I have a ball working on their cars,(or mine) either mechanically or detail wise. Yes, its hangover eminent, but we have fun. My neighbors are grumpy old stuck up farts, so I would charge them double!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Just to clarify my previous post by neighbors I meant the ones I'm buddies with Not just the dude that lives on my block.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

17. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast