autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the trigger on my first mods for the EB Mustang (not detailing related)

Ordered the Magnaflow Competition Cat-Back exhaust AND the Ford Performance ProCal Tune (w/ GT350 airbox).
    (I hope links are ok, since AGO sells none of these and they're not detailing related...)

Magnaflow Mustang Competition Cat-Back Exhaust 19191 (15-18 EcoBoost) - Free Shipping

Ford Performance Mustang Cold Air Intake w/ ProCal Voucher M-9603-M4 (15-17 EcoBoost) - Free Shipping

Went to my local mechanics and they said not an issue to install the exhaust. For the airbox and tune, I'm going to my local Ford, as they stated they have several specific techs that do a lot of Ford Performance aftermarket installs to include being certified to do Roush Stage 1 & 2 builds. American Muscle was the supplier of both, and after a phone call with them, they got me the best deal possible and their customer service was over-the-top outstanding.

The instructions on the ProCal tune states It's a learned adaptive tune, so I have to drive a few hundred miles. That will be difficult for me because after 17 months of ownership the car only has 3100 miles on it. Few hundred miles in one day for me would be like, going from Chandler to Flagstaff for lunch, then coming back home. LOL.. I guess road trip is in my future! (finding the time and a dog sitter is a different story, and no, two full sized greyhounds are not going to fit in an EB Mustang!)

The great thing about the ProCal tune is that it has got really good reviews, and I've been told lifts the "blanket" off this engine and transmission in a way that Ford Engineering really wanted when they debuted the vehicle in 2015. I was told because it was a world release of the vehicle, it had to conform to such strict standards that it was hampered by the existing stock tune. Ford Racing will fully back the tune and the car will retain it's factory warranty. I've heard gains (based upon driving adaptations) of anywhere between 25HP to 80HP, huge increases in torque and more aggressive shifting.

That coupled with removing the factory resonator (huge weight loss to the vehicle) to install the Magnaflow Competition & GT350 airbox, will be sure to provide nice gains. The factory resonator goes bye-bye and it's just a y-pipe back to the Magnaflows. One thing I wanted to be careful of was a 4 cylinder sounding well, like a 4 cylinder. I have BORLA ATAK on my Mustang GT and they are outrageous! But the Magnaflow will be very deep in tone, and will offer a more German 4 Turbo sound. I think Borla would have been to raspy and poppy...

I'll update the thread once I get the parts in, scheduled and installed.

2. Likes PaulMys, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pulled the trigger on my first mods for the EB Mustang (not detailing related)

Well well well! Not only are you a fantastic detailer, you have excellent tastes in rides! Based on what you are stating, this is all real easy to do by yourself. I know as I have an SCT tuner with the Steeda 91 Octane Tune (I have the 93 too, however, CA has sucky 91 Octane only). The CAI, tune and the cat back pipes can be done by you. I would go to a local muffler shop and have them do the exhaust. But if you have the Ford guys do it find out if they will honor the factory warranty. My Ford dealership said if they installed the CAI, Cat backs and tune my car, it would be under the Ford Factory warranty. Henceforth, Ford guys did the stuff for me.

As for American Muscle, you can't beat them and those guys are GREAT! I get MOST of my Mustang stuff from them. Steeda is also another source. Additionally, Steeda is in Florida. If you want to get some serious HP in your ride look into the down pipe and turbo waste gate. I raced one built similar to yours and lost 2 out of 3 times (I have a manual transmission). The final time I won but just barely.

The Mustang is one of the most easily modified cars on the road today!

I knew I thought I liked you for a reason and now I know why!.....LOL Keep on Rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

4. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing thanked for this post
    Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pulled the trigger on my first mods for the EB Mustang (not detailing related)

Thanks Kamakaz! The ProCal is just a voucher you take to Ford. They plug in the voucher number and download the software onto a laptop, then install it. From there, they give you a certificate and finalize the registration. There is no SCT tuner for this particular tune... I could do it myself, but it states it must be done by an ASE Certified Mechanic. I read the instructions and seemed a bit hairy, even my local mechanics looked at it a bit funny. I was assured by my local Ford shop that they have two guys that do these all the time, to include Roush builds.

Not taking any chances... I read not installing it properly can lock up the engine.. Since the car is new and only has 3100 miles on it and is under factory waranty, I'll spring the $150 to $200 in labor and let the "pro's" do it!

As far as the exhaust goes, my local guys will do that... In turn, I'm detailing the managers wifes vehicle.

6. Likes pharden liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Thanks Kamakaz! The ProCal is just a voucher you take to Ford. They plug in the voucher number and download the software onto a laptop, then install it. From there, they give you a certificate and finalize the registration. There is no SCT tuner for this particular tune... I could do it myself, but it states it must be done by an ASE Certified Mechanic. I read the instructions and seemed a bit hairy, even my local mechanics looked at it a bit funny. I was assured by my local Ford shop that they have two guys that do these all the time, to include Roush builds.

Not taking any chances... I read not installing it properly can lock up the engine.. Since the car is new and only has 3100 miles on it and is under factory waranty, I'll spring the $150 to $200 in labor and let the "pro's" do it!

As far as the exhaust goes, my local guys will do that... In turn, I'm detailing the managers wifes vehicle.
    Way cool! Ask your Ford guys if they will honor your factory warranty. Mine did which was really cool!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to get before and after dyno numbers to see what your true gain is? I had a '95 Mustang GT (last 5.0 until the new Coyote) for ten years and had a LOT of fun with that car. It made 486whp before I got rid of it and that was pretty darn fast for a Mustang back in Y2K. These days you need 800+ hp for people to take notice.

9. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good choice. I have a GT350 airbox too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    CHRIS Aka Waxmaster

11. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Way cool! Ask your Ford guys if they will honor your factory warranty. Mine did which was really cool!
    That's the great part, the tune comes from Ford Performance! It was Ford's way of saying, we know you guys are going to do it, so we'll provide one and you can keep your warranty and be legal in all 50 states Yes, Ford states they will honor the factory warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    Are you going to get before and after dyno numbers to see what your true gain is? I had a '95 Mustang GT (last 5.0 until the new Coyote) for ten years and had a LOT of fun with that car. It made 486whp before I got rid of it and that was pretty darn fast for a Mustang back in Y2K. These days you need 800+ hp for people to take notice.
    No dyno... The problem with the Ford tune is it's very conservative and it's "adaptive." The more you drive the car the more the computer calibrates and increases the gains. So the dyno would have to happen at one time and the after would have to happen at a later date. I really don't care about the actual numbers... Keep in mind this is a vehicle that is 17 months old with 3100 miles on it. LOL As long as there is a smile on my face when I step on the gas, that's all the fun factor I need...

Do you know if Shell gas stations take Fry's fuel points?

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Good choice. I have a GT350 airbox too.

Is that a GT350 it's on or GT? Can't tell by your profile pic and there is no plenum cover. The GT350 box,is pretty darn better than some after market.

Here is the under hood shot of my 05 GT. Mods on that are, Hurst Short Throw, Air-Raid CAI, Borla ATAK Cat-Back, Gen 5 LED tail lights, Ford Racing Strut Brace, GT500 chin spoiler and GT500 rear spoiler, Black Bullitt rims (American Muscle).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Is that a GT350 it's on or GT? Can't tell by your profile pic and there is no plenum cover. The GT350 box,is pretty darn better than some after market.
    It is a GT350. I was being funny when I said I had the airbox

Post Thanks / Like

Couple pics

CHRIS Aka Waxmaster

15. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL... Then I guess you got a GT350 when you bought the GT350 air box!!! LOL You're a lucky guy... I'd love to hear that Flat plain crank at around 7000 rpm's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast