autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pulled the trigger on my first mods for the EB Mustang (not detailing related)

Don't worry Paul I will start a collection for your bail. Go have fun!

2. Likes PaulMys, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pulled the trigger on my first mods for the EB Mustang (not detailing related)

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    UPDATE:

Picked the car up yesterday and WOW is all I can say. The installer said I need to put a few hundred miles on the car so the computer can calibrate through the system. Luckily he said that doesn't have to happen in one drive, but over time.

Right off the bat, dropping the big box resonator and going right to the cat-back system is huge weight savings. Secondly the exhaust sounds exactly like I envisioned in my head. A nice deep turbo roar, and while it's loud, it's not overbearing, especially when cruising down the road. I mean, it's a sports car after all...

The tune so far is pretty amazing, huge throttle response difference... Instantly the gas pedal felt different, more touchy... the gear shifts (automatic) are A LOT better, especially between 1st and 2nd. With out the tune there was a weird lag in shifts between 1st and 2nd, I can't explain it but I would always coax the car with "ok, you can shift now....", that is now GONE! It bangs right through all the gears and knows even to hold in gear depending on throttle position... It's not trying to quickly get to 6th like it used to... I'm sure I'm paying for it in fuel economy, but... It's a Mustang after all.

Torque is quite noticeable in gain, certainly getting 0-60 pr 0-80 is crazy quick. I jumped on the freeway, looked down at my speedo and didn't even realize I was near 90mph. That's SCARY!!! I quickly backed off... Don't want to meet Mr. Policeman...

I'll say this... I own a Mustang GT, and this EB. The EB always put a grin on my face, but now it puts a huge smile on my face. I feel it's at a point where I could potentially get into serious trouble, therefor, I don't see taking it past this as far as performance mods. Some on the eb forum has mentioned I should get a larger inter-cooler, but the entire bumper cover has to come off for that...

Anyway, I'll report back after we hit a couple of hundred miles and see if there is any more to report... Hopefully not from behind bars! LOL

NICE!!!!!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Hammer77, SWETM, custmsprty, Wknd Dtlr, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the trigger on my first mods for the EB Mustang (not detailing related)

Very fun day! Ford Performance said I need to drive the car 200 miles for the tune to calibrate so today I did!

Well, took it for a 200 mile ride today. I left Chandler AZ, south east to Florence, AZ. North to RT 60, then east up a winding road up 4800 ft to Globe AZ and back again. It was 110 degrees but seat and AC was cool.

Heading into the mountains entering Tonto National Forest, I changed steering to Sport and put the car in “s” sport mode. Yup I could have done sport + or Track, but didn’t.

I had a blast!! The tune, the exhaust all working together.

This was the first drive (other than drive home from the dealership) since the tune and exhaust.

When I got home I pulled in the driveway and was idling and noticed smoke coming out the exhaust. It wasn’t blue but not pure white. It had a pungent smell, not oil. I checked all the stats (oil level, temp, etc - all normal).

I gunned the gas a few times and it went away. I took the car out later and it was fine. After googling I learned that it was oils used to manufacture the exhaust burning off. Everyone said that is normal for the first few days.

Anyway today I put more miles in a single day since I bought the car new and loved it! Odometer at start was 3320, ending 3355.

It’s fun, quick and the tune changes the car into serious sports car. Of course the loss of wanting more at 4K to 6k range, unlike my GT where life starts at 4K and gives more. But at the end of the day I was already driving at speeds that were well above the limits of both the law and my own abilities.

If you have a stock EB and want a tune, but are afraid of warranty or other issues, get the Ford Performance tune. It’s like taking a blanket off your engine and transmission, and it will leave you grinning!

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: so the next mod was going to be a MA Performance Intercooler. As our temps climb the turbo soak is happening. But the mods are killer on this car! It pulls through the whole band out to about 7k RPM. In sport mode I’m getting rev matching down shifts!!!

But we’ve seemed to hit a road block. More like a blue smoke block.

The EB Stang now has about 4200 miles on it and after the mods, while idling in the driveway my eye caught some smoke in the mirrors. Jumped out and sure enough, little bit of smoke coming from the pipes. I revved the engine and smoke went away. Chalked it up to manufacturing oils in the cat-back. Hadn’t noticed it since.

Fast forward: I notice when she idles for 10 mins, after warm up, we’re burning oil. Step on the gas.. nothing.

After getting some help on the Mustang EB forum, there is a TSB to replace the PCV valve. “Oil burn at idle.” That and a dual valve catch can will resolve the issue. So I ordered the UPR dual valve CC - $$$...

Seems that the less restrictive exhaust is causing less back pressure and allowing a small vapor of oil from the crank to the cylinders. In turbo speak, I’ve learned this is called “blow by.”

So now TSB for new PCV separator valve and a new catch can, and I have to reapply the tune as the TSB calls for ford to flash the car, overwriting the performance tune. Ugggg!

Off to Ford on Monday, wish me luck!

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch cans are a must IMO, Paul.

I installed one on the Hemi about 3 days after I got it.

I used to check/empty it every month, but it was never very full or "gunky". Now I empty/clean it about every 8 weeks.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes WaxMaster1, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul. I'm off to Ford now to show them the blue smoke. It's a simple TSB, I'm just hoping they don't go down the rabbit hole! There was one guy on our Stang EB forum who said Ford had his car for nearly a month, tearing down the engine, replacing gaskets, replaced the turbo twice. They wouldn't listen that it was a simple upgrade to the valve separator. When it still smoked he took it to another dealer and the whole process started back over again. Third dealer did the simple TSB (in and out in one hour) and all better now.

I already know after they do the TSB I'm going to re-apply the Ford Performance Tune... (PIA!). The tune makes a huge difference. Typically 2.3 EB's drop off after about 3K RPM's... lots of noise and no pull. The tune changes all that and gives you power through the entire band up to 7K rpm! It's quite exhilarating. But once you start to add these kinds of mods, you then have to start addressing other deficiencies. Once all the deficiencies are addressed, it's a fun car.

One could say, just get a GT, but I already have one... Something about an under-dog 4 cyl turbo putting down over 300 HP!

well, wish me luck... Off to Ford I go!

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, what do you do with the mustangs when you're detailing a customer car?

Post Thanks / Like

Came back from Ford, they've got me scheduled for the TSB and will have their performance guys reinstall the Ford Procal Tune. It's funny they all know me there, so when they set up the service they said we're marking this as "NO CAR WASH, NO WIPE DOWNS!!" LOL, I didn't even have to ask. What I did ask for, since I'm creating a build book is a screen-shot of the software after the tune is loaded.

Then I'll have it back to those guys for the MAP Intercooler and Dual Valve Catch-Can install. I think after this I'm done for a while... Uncle funds for car mods is getting low... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    Just curious, what do you do with the mustangs when you're detailing a customer car?
    I give them to the local teenagers to go cruising in Kidding... although a few in my hood would like that very much!
    We do the car shuffle and move them around. If a custy car has to stay over-night, it gets locked up in the garage and our vehicles sit outside.

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pulled the trigger on a Mishimoto Intercooler... Decided to go with them because I had some store credit I had to use or lose. Next install will be the catch-can and Intercooler. PIA because the entire bumper cover needs to come off!

18. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast