autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Webuilder and hosting recommendations - expiring soon!

I know this topic comes up often... it's the old what do you use for ISP and Web platform question...

Back in the day, I used to create my own web-sites and or use iWeb (mac's old web builder) and got pretty good results. All I would have to pay for was domain name & hosting. I would take care of the rest.

Fast forward and iWeb is no longer supported, nor do I have the time or interest to build a site. When I started Looks So New I opted to go with the big internet hosting company located in AZ, and use one of their template builders. It's pricey, but has been ok, however, shortly after my investment, they abandoned supporting (I should say updating) this older platform in lieu for a new platform. It has limitations, and it's appearance has grown a bit long in the tooth. It does offer mobile design however, it's a bit tricky to get things the way you want it.

a.) I get a call that my hosting is expiring June 1 and I can pay a boat-load to keep the old platform which will generate security warnings for clients going to the site due to the lack of an SSL cert. I really don't care about the SSL cert as we do no e-commerce, however, those not wanting to traffic to an insecure site may shy away from it. Oddly as I type this email, when I look to the top left of my Firefox browser bar, it shows an "!" stating "Connection Not Secure" for AGO.

Or,

b.) I can pay a little less, and lock into 3 years on the "new" platform w/ SSL cert. I would have to rebuild the site which is ok, but time consuming. I have not been shown what the new platform looks like. I've been told the new platform is easier to work with, has more features and a better mobile setup. And even more interesting that they're pushing SSL, when SSL is the predecessor for TSL 1.2.

I hear people using Wix, or Wordpress, but then again, I'd have to commit before I get to see the product. I know wordpress has a free download for at home development, however you need to install it on a system running an IIS server.. Way back in the day I had the patients to do such a thing... Right now - NO!

So what is everyone using?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Webuilder and hosting recommendations - expiring soon!

I wanted to redesign my website this year. Looked into a lot of options including Word Press, Weebly and Wix. Right now my website is made using Microsoft Frontpage. The program has not been supported for over 10 years and doesn't support modern features. Not that this prevents the page from being seen or used, but it makes using Multimedia features likes video more difficult. Also doing a site that can re-organise itself for all the type of devices such as phones, tablets and computers pretty complicated.

So. My hosting is gonna expire in March, at that time I will get a Wix hosting plan. Their platform is the best I have found. It's pretty amazing all you can do with it. The only issue is that they have their own file standard, so you cannot import an existing website into Wix, and if you decide to change host, you cannot export your website (as far as I know) somewhere else.

Other options like Word Press are also usable. I don't like Word Press because everytime I try to do anything with it, I hit a wall. Word Press works with templates, and when you want the template to do anything else than what it was programmed to do, you can't do it. But you might like it, millions use it so it's not that bad, simply not compatible with the way I like to do things.

Other option is Weebly. It's similar to Wix but not as good. You have to pay a monthly fee to use their platform on top of your hosting plan. If memory serves the very basic package is around 8$ per month. So if your hosting is 10$ per month, you just doubled your usage fee. Weebly is very similar to Wix in many ways, but after watching many videos about both, I found it less powerful and intuitive.

So that is the sum of the knowledge I can give you right now

In terms of pricing, for Wix it depends what you want in terms of E-Commerce. Good plans seems to be between 15$ and 25$ per month. Discounts on long terms contracts are also available if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a Graphic designer/Web developer. I always hear her talking about WordPress since its real easy to update things and such.

I know they have a lot of free templates or you can choose to buy one and have someone design it towards your liking and host it.

Post Thanks / Like

Squarespace:

$144/Year or $16/Month

So easy to use and updating a website is a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, we went with Go Daddy's "Go Central" for $100 per year (not bad). I am in the process of redesign now, and it should go live by the end of the week. As much as I dislike the templates, they are doing one thing for me that I need. The new template is forcing my hand to clean up the junk and bla, bla, bla, bla that NO ONE will ever read on my present site.

At this point, the website is going to make a statement, (a big one actually on where we are going - stay tuned to find out more!). It's simplicity is allowing me to "point" in the direction where we're headed. When it goes live, I'll post it here...

I had to do something and fast, the current site is going EOSL (End of Service Life) June 1, and it was long in the tooth anyway. Once this is up and running, we'll research a few of those mentioned here. My wife, in addition to being Interior Gal, a massage therapist, health coach, has a long standing career as a freelance graphic designer, even she uses Word Press.

@Calendyr, Front Page??? 1999 is calling, it want's it's web platform back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Thanks everyone, we went with Go Daddy's "Go Central" for $100 per year (not bad). I am in the process of redesign now, and it should go live by the end of the week. As much as I dislike the templates, they are doing one thing for me that I need. The new template is forcing my hand to clean up the junk and bla, bla, bla, bla that NO ONE will ever read on my present site.

At this point, the website is going to make a statement, (a big one actually on where we are going - stay tuned to find out more!). It's simplicity is allowing me to "point" in the direction where we're headed. When it goes live, I'll post it here...

I had to do something and fast, the current site is going EOSL (End of Service Life) June 1, and it was long in the tooth anyway. Once this is up and running, we'll research a few of those mentioned here. My wife, in addition to being Interior Gal, a massage therapist, health coach, has a long standing career as a freelance graphic designer, even she uses Word Press.

@Calendyr, Front Page??? 1999 is calling, it want's it's web platform back!
    Good, curious to see your new design now

Ya Front Page is the best interface I have ever worked with. Everytime I try something else, it's harder to use and won't do exactly what I want. Front page is a desktop publisher that makes HTML pages, you have total control on everything.

I think I will like the Wix software from what I have seen. It looks very flexible and through the use of templates can also be quick to make content.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new website up, we're pretty happy with the outcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Page looks good. You only have a contact link?

I feel like I need to give so much information on my website, how do your client react to having no prices, packages or detailed info about your services?

Maybe I am doing it wrong... Feels like if I did that I would have to spend hours on the phone trying to explain what I can do...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Page looks good. You only have a contact link?

I feel like I need to give so much information on my website, how do your client react to having no prices, packages or detailed info about your services?

Maybe I am doing it wrong... Feels like if I did that I would have to spend hours on the phone trying to explain what I can do...
    We have more than a contact us page, We have Contact Us, About, Packages, Specialties, Testimonials and Gallery.

On mobile click the three lines on top left.

Clients don’t react to not having prices because my process is to do the VIF, go over options and work up a quote. I’m very good at providing a SOW (statement of work) in great detail and knowing how long it will take.

Each vehicle and customer is different, so each quote is really based on time, materials and customer expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tested your site using different platforms?

In Google Chrome, your menu doesn't show. I tried your site with Microsoft Edge and I can see the menu there.

Might be issues with other platforms too. You should try it on mobile and tablets to make sure everything is set up properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast