autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: Which browser to you use to read the forum?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • FireFox

27 19.15%
  • Chrome

65 46.10%
  • Safari

42 29.79%
  • TapaTalk

5 3.55%
  • Internet Explorer

14 9.93%
  • Other

5 3.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which browser do you use to read the forum?

Ok... I know this is a really old thread, but as I am very much a novice in auto detailing, I am experienced in most things tech, especially browsers/security/programming (day job). So I can give some info here that at the end of the day isn't going to change your life one bit.

First...let me say I am no fan of IE or Edge for that matter.

To Mike's post about IE not being supported. It is, in fact, supported by Microsoft. The most recent version, IE 11, will be supported until the end of life of Windows 10. IE will not be receiving new features but will receive security updates until that time. That being said, IE has always lacked in security. Not in any way that most people will ever fall victim to, the security features such as SSL, HTTPS and many others that keep your web browsing safe from prying eyes all work just fine.

As far as the browser not keeping up with the changing technologies, there is actually a reason for this. In the general public almost every major browser has a huge lead over IE as far as how many people actually use it. BUT, in an enterprise environment, large businesses, banks, etc, IE is king. Many web applications that businesses use were designed for IE simply because it was easier to use a browser already installed with the operating system than install a third party alternative. Made the lives of the admin's easier. So now move forwards a few years, the internet is growing faster than anyone anticipated, other browsers are being adopted by average users, web technologies are growing and changing at a rapid pace.

Microsoft, knowing that IE is used by many businesses, can't keep up with the rapid changes because each change can potentially break applications these businesses depend on. So change happens slower. Fast forward again to today (or last year when this poll was first posted). Edge is out, why do we have IE? Edge was Microsofts answer to supporting all of these rapid changes. Faster, app based (IE has always been integrated into Windows), and can change faster to meet the new web technologies. By admission of one of Microsofts own engineers, IE is still included and supported solely for backwards compatibility for businesses that are facing massive overhauls of their web applications for them to run on newer browsers.

Pretty dry stuff, but it sheds some light on why IE is what it is.

Few other little 'fun facts'. Opera, Chrome, the soon to be released new version of Edge, and many other browsers all use 'chromium' as the base for their browser. Chromium is a simple web browser that you can download and run itself that has been used by many other companies to be the base for their own browsers. So the basic rendering of web sites is largely the same for most browsers out there, only difference will be features that are built around the actual browsing, such as Opera's built in ad blocker and VPN, or Chromes heavy google account integration.

Chromium is built upon 'Blink', which is a rendering engine used to ... you guessed it, render the web pages themselves.

Safari, and because of terms created by Apple, every browser that runs on macOS or iOS, are all built using the WebKit rendering engine. Chrome on a Mac? Uses WebKit, same as Safari.

I mentioned Blink above. Blink is a rendering engine that actually started out as a branch, or fork, off of WebKit itself. Since then it has taken a different path and is usually much quicker to support new features and technologies.

The only browser that is actually separate from all of the others and 'does it's own thing', is Firefox. Firefox was a spin off of Netscape Navigator, one of the earliest challengers to IE.

See, told you none of that would change your life at all, .

2. Thanks mc2hill thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whelp, my "go to" browser on my PC is Firefox with an occasional foray into Opera. On my android, it's the AG app or the Duck Duck Go browser, I do have Firefox installed but primarily Duck Duck Go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2011 - BMW 128i
    2011 - BMW 335is
    2010 - Mazda 3 GT

Post Thanks / Like

The only browser that is actually separate from all of the others and 'does it's own thing', is Firefox. Firefox was a spin off of Netscape Navigator, one of the earliest challengers to IE.
    I too use Firefox and some of the recent updates have added some great new features.

I started out with Mosaic, then migrated to Navigator which was based on Mosaic. Later, Internet Exploder (IE, also based on Mosaic code) came along and ruined the party, doing Netscape dirty. I've largely avoided Micro$oft browsers ever since, when possible. And I don't trust Google and its desire to rule the web ... Firefox is the only major left standing who hasn't bowed down to Chrome, even Micro$oft has given up and is using Chromium for its latest version of Edge.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using everything, Firefox, Chrome, Opera for VPN.
    Firefox is the best choice for plugin related browsing.
    Chrome - lighter than firefox, for google services.
    Opera just for free VPN
    Just be aware of various malware news like this and update your browser as soon as update arrives. And you will be fine.

Also I highly recommend installing an ablocker, it will reduce the number of threats.
    Last edited by treedooms; 08-12-2019 at 04:15 AM. Reason: updated a bit

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

I started out with Mosaic, then migrated to Navigator which was based on Mosaic.
    Ha ha...

I started out with Mosaic when it was first introduced to the public back in 1993. I was working at Hewlett-Packard in Corvallis, Oregon. One of my Tech buddies came over to my work station one day and said,

Hey let me show you something cool

When he left, he left a icon on my computer desktop and been surfing the web ever since.

Just to note, back then, there wasn't much on the Interweb.

From this page,

Mosaic Web Browser - Wikipedia

After trying ViolaWWW, David Thompson demonstrated it to the NCSA software design group. This inspired Marc Andreessen and Eric Bina - two programmers working at NCSA - to create Mosaic. Andreessen and Bina originally designed and programmed NCSA Mosaic for Unix's X Window System called xmosaic.

Then, in December 1991, the Gore Bill created and introduced by then Senator and future Vice President Al Gore was passed, which provided the funding for the Mosaic project.

Development began in December 1992. Marc Andreessen announced the project on January 23, 1993.

The first alpha release (numbered 0.1a) was published in June 1993, and the first beta release (numbered 0.6b) followed quickly thereafter in September 1993.

Ports to Microsoft Windows and Macintosh had been released in September. A port of Mosaic to the Commodore Amiga was available by October 1993. NCSA Mosaic for Unix (X-Windows) version 2.0 was released on November 10, 1993.

Version 1.0 for Microsoft Windows was released on November 11, 1993.

From 1994 to 1997, the National Science Foundation supported the further development of Mosaic.

Marc Andreessen, the leader of the team that developed Mosaic, left NCSA and, with James H. Clark, one of the founders of Silicon Graphics, Inc. (SGI), and four other former students and staff of the University of Illinois, started Mosaic Communications Corporation.

Mosaic Communications eventually became Netscape Communications Corporation, producing Netscape Navigator.

Mosaic's popularity as a separate browser began to lessen upon the release of Andreessen's Netscape Navigator in 1994. This was noted at the time in The HTML Sourcebook:

The Complete Guide to HTML:

"Netscape Communications has designed an all-new WWW browser Netscape, that has significant enhancements over the original Mosaic program."

1994 saw the first commercial product to incorporate Mosaic: SCO Global Access, a modified version of its Open Desktop version of Unix that served as an Internet gateway.

By 1998 its user base had almost completely evaporated, being replaced by other web browsers.

There you go.... Internet Browser History

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Ha ha...

I started out with Mosaic when it was first introduced to the public back in 1993. I was working at Hewlett-Packard in Corvallis, Oregon. One of my Tech buddies came over to my work station one day and said,

Hey let me show you something cool

When he left, he left a icon on my computer desktop and been surfing the web ever since.

Just to note, back then, there wasn't much on the Interweb.

No kidding, I probably used Mosaic more for FTP and Usenet than I did "surfing" web pages.

"By mid-1994 there were 2,738 websites, according to Gray's statistics; by the end of the year, more than 10,000."

I do remember a certain site called "Jerry's Guide to the World Wide Web" ...

Mike Phillips

No kidding, I probably used Mosaic more for FTP and Usenet than I did "surfing" web pages.
    Which Usenet Groups did you hang out on?

"By mid-1994 there were 2,738 websites, according to Gray's statistics; by the end of the year, more than 10,000."

I do remember a certain site called "Jerry's Guide to the World Wide Web" ...

Look at the info in the header on this webpage. It's a copy and paste of an article I wrote in 1994 on the Usenet newsgroup rec.autos.misc while I was working at Hewlett-Packard. I believe I started posting as far back as 1993 but can only document to 1994.

http://mr2.com/TEXT/paint_polish.txt

Article: 6811 of rec.autos.misc
    From: mike_d_phillips%80@hp6400.desk.hp.com (mike phillips)
    Subject: How to Polish Paint by Hand (long)
    Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 16:42:05 GMT

How to Polish Paint by Hand

Not as long as some but longer than most.

Kind of also documents I've been producing original car detailing how-to information again - maybe not as long as some but definitely longer than most.

Find one of documented source of car detailing how-to information by anyone in the car detailing world today that dates back to 1994.

Mike Phillips

Also....

While I wrote that how-to article back in 1994 - I believe what I wrote is still just as accurate today as when I wrote it.

I also know at least one "detailing personality" that I would say many respect, also agrees with me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345