autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Upgrade - LED replacing Halogen

i didn't get the LED but went to the HID in my prius from the retrofit source and they have been noting but amazing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    i didn't get the LED but went to the HID in my prius from the retrofit source and they have been noting but amazing
    So you know the wattage draw of your HID? I tried another brand which I s a huge improvement over the first ones. I’m going to give the first ones to a friend so no big deal. The hotspot or brightness is now high in the projection. It’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    So you know the wattage draw of your HID? I tried another brand which I s a huge improvement over the first ones. I’m going to give the first ones to a friend so no big deal. The hotspot or brightness is now high in the projection. It’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
    35watts so it's less then my stock bulbs

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I now have a Toyota H11 halogen projector in my possession. I have tested 5 different LED bulbs. 4 out of 5 failed to meet the same intensity as a H9 halogen bulb. I chose a H9 as a baseline because this is the cheapest/best performance upgrade over a standard H11.

Although there was only 1 LED bulb that succeeded in higher intensity it managed to still fail in overall performance. The LED light source was still not fully focused inside the reflector bowl as it should have been, which altered the intensity pattern (as well as the overall pattern). Also this particular LED bulb is using a very poor quality chip. Color consistency is substandard as there are 3 distinct color patterns in the overall illumination. A sign of a cheap phosphor layer over the LED chip.

I hope to start posting some videos soon of my findings to my channels:

6. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going for it! My buddy at work is a part-time LED installer on all manner of vehicles. I had him order some H13 LEDs for me day Thursday and they should be in on Monday (they're coming to Cleveland Oh. from Kentucky, so it shouldn't take long). It looks like we both have next Thursday after work open and they should be installed then.

We ARE going to make sure they are properly aimed and adjusted so I don't end up being "that guy," who blinds everyone in front of them or coming at them.

I will post the results after they're in and I've driven on them a bit.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I'm going for it! My buddy at work is a part-time LED installer on all manner of vehicles. I had him order some H13 LEDs for me day Thursday and they should be in on Monday (they're coming to Cleveland Oh. from Kentucky, so it shouldn't take long). It looks like we both have next Thursday after work open and they should be installed then.

We ARE going to make sure they are properly aimed and adjusted so I don't end up being "that guy," who blinds everyone in front of them or coming at them.

I will post the results after they're in and I've driven on them a bit.
    What LED bulb did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    What LED bulb did you get?
    I don't know what brand, I'm leaving that to my buddy who does this all the time.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

So I've been testing a bunch of H11 LED bulbs these past few weeks and have been finding interesting, but not surprising results.

I wanted to share the most common type of LED bulb you'll find on the market. Its these single "Cree" LED chip bulbs. I quote Cree because many are fake Cree chips and very few are genuine. And some are other claimed branded LED chips but that doesn't really matter at all because its one of the WORST type of LED chips you can use in a headlight bulb. As I've explained in my previous posts, a LED of this size and shape cannot properly mimic the halogen filament. The emitting surface area is too large and improperly shaped.

LED bulb:
    CnLight h11 w/Cree XHP35

Test subject:
    Koito H11 halogen projector (found in Prius, Camry and many other Toyota/Lexus models and maybe even other imports)

H11-LL bulb - @ 16FT 843 lux peak at test point 1D, V

LED bulb

As you can see, the hotspot for the LED has shifted downward ALL the way into the foreground. Peak intensity at the top, where its needed , is under 200 lux. The light reading I captured in the image above is 1 degree above the peak test point for the original halogen however it did not increase by much when moved down at the same test point. The LEDs peak intensity was only 318 lux but it was 6 degrees down from H-V!

I hope this demonstrates to all reading this that chip size, shape and design completely matter for appropriate beam performance. And know that any and all LED bulbs using a single domed LED chip will never provide better lighting performance over halogen.

Post Thanks / Like

My LEDs look nothing like those, they have 6 flat chips on either side in a staggered setting (one set of 3 is higher on the "bulb" than the other). Were it not for the reflector "ladle" blocking a good chunk of light, they would be perfect (No one has "flashed" me and I've had them in for over a week).

The Dead Spot Culprit: (you can see the reflection of the yellow LED chips in the reflector around the 'ladle').

BUT ... I have a 'dead spot' directly in the center of the beam pattern, but I am going to correct that with some very tight patterned LED driving lights that will be aimed to take out the dead spot(s) without blinding anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    So I've been testing a bunch of H11 LED bulbs these past few weeks and have been finding interesting, but not surprising results.

I wanted to share the most common type of LED bulb you'll find on the market. Its these single "Cree" LED chip bulbs. I quote Cree because many are fake Cree chips and very few are genuine. And some are other claimed branded LED chips but that doesn't really matter at all because its one of the WORST type of LED chips you can use in a headlight bulb. As I've explained in my previous posts, a LED of this size and shape cannot properly mimic the halogen filament. The emitting surface area is too large and improperly shaped.

LED bulb:
    CnLight h11 w/Cree XHP35

As you can see, the hotspot for the LED has shifted downward ALL the way into the foreground. Peak intensity at the top, where its needed , is under 200 lux. The light reading I captured in the image above is 1 degree above the peak test point for the original halogen however it did not increase by much when moved down at the same test point. The LEDs peak intensity was only 318 lux but it was 6 degrees down from H-V!

I hope this demonstrates to all reading this that chip size, shape and design completely matter for appropriate beam performance. And know that any and all LED bulbs using a single domed LED chip will never provide better lighting performance over halogen.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast