autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

LSN Autodetailing - News for 2018

Greetings all,

Last April 2017 we moved from New Hampshire to Arizona. While here we've made great friends with Wills & Dani at Windows and Wheels, got to go to SEMA in Las Vegas. We've also got to work on some pretty cool cars: Starting with an Audi R8 V10, a Porsche 911 Turbo, Mercedes C350, and a very cool sled Dodge Magnum SRT/8. We've also got a Lincoln Navigator in the lurch.

After spending a year in AZ, we've decided to stay (at least for a while). We're taking this move in increments, first a one year, then adding two more. We purchased a house and will be closing in February.

While in NH we did some, but limited advertising and relied mostly on word of mouth and referrals. When we got to AZ we decided not to advertise at all.

My day gob as a solutions engineer has greatly increased in ops-tempo and travel. In addition, with our great weather here, we realize we like to get the dogs in the car and take off for a hike somewhere here in AZ or go for a road cycling adventure. Because of this, we are vastly scaling back on detailing, our model will shift to just referrals and word of mouth only. We built a great business model, became great business people and spent a lot of time focused on the business side of things like, customer support, sales, and building a small group of customers that love what we do.

Oddly through this process what we realized is we ended up loving the back-end side of things, (i.e. generating sales, customer support, maintaining relationships) more than the actual detailing itself. In some cases, maintaining those relationships have transformed into lifelong friendships. Somehow, the thoughts of being in a garage which is 102 degrees for 8 - 12 hours, becoming dehydrated, cramps in the hands, feet and sweating faster than we can take in water has left us contemplating our future of detailing. If someone wants to give me an air-conditioned garage, I'll be glad to partake!

Our participation in this forum has slipped a bit, as my attention has to be more focused on the products I actually get paid to support, especially with a lot of new product roll outs and new features. I am swimming in technical white-papers and product release notes, not to mention a 32% travel schedule this year.

Having said all that, we're thinning our product supply out. Mainly the vast amounts of our favorite Polishes and Compounds. I will always be a Pinnacle Polish/Compound guy, but having gallons of each at this point is going to have them go to waste. So please go over to the samples page and check out my latest post.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and support. We LOVE doing show-n-shines and will try to do them as we get vehicles. Of course, I'll always answer PM's. and meetup with any of the local AZ folks.

Paul G.

2. Thanks lalv thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, VISITOR, fly07sti, PaulMys, Aaryn NZ and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSN Autodetailing - News for 2018

Nice post, Paul.

While it might be a bummer for us not to have you around as much, I'm sure I speak for many when I say that your new opportunities sound great, and I am happy for you guys.

Glad you guys like AZ. And hey, when one door closes another one opens. As I'm sure you know.

I for one have learned a great deal from your posts here, and I thank you for that Paul.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes jimhanus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post and nothing wrong with stepping back and taking a look at what's important. I know I have had to do that before and after we moved.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, your frequency and stellar contributions will be missed but it sounds like a great life change at this little fork in the road. We should always maintain a nice balance in life that keeps us happy and content.

I realize you're not saying goodbye to us here at AGO and check in when you can. You're a valuable member!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Nice post, Paul.

While it might be a bummer for us not to have you around as much, I'm sure I speak for many when I say that your new opportunities sound great, and I am happy for you guys.

Glad you guys like AZ. And hey, when one door closes another one opens. As I'm sure you know.

I for one have learned a great deal from your posts here, and I thank you for that Paul.
    Thank you PaulM! Likewise I always appreciate your posts and thoughtfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    Great post and nothing wrong with stepping back and taking a look at what's important. I know I have had to do that before and after we moved.
    Sometimes stepping back creates more opportunities. Thanks Justin, as always I look forward to your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Paul, your frequency and stellar contributions will be missed but it sounds like a great life change at this little fork in the road. We should always maintain a nice balance in life that keeps us happy and content.

I realize you're not saying goodbye to us here at AGO and check in when you can. You're a valuable member!
    Thank you Paul. Present company included on this thread with great contributions.

Post Thanks / Like

paul, how's everything going?

Post Thanks / Like

Most people that come to AZ don't leave. I did the same back in 2003 and I don't miss the Midwest winters one bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,

You were a huge help when I first got started—even a bigger help once I moved to New Hampshire.

You helped me understand the market better and had great knowledge about your products.

Thanks for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

11. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    paul, how's everything going?
    Great, thanks for asking Visitor!!! Means a lot. I've been amazingly busy... Just got back from Salt Lake City with a major project going on for a HUGE customer (non detailing). Seems like I've been in planes more than I have cars... LOL.

At this point I'm only taking detailing customers that are by referal and know they are not getting a typical wash/wax. Thus my model is more going towards the type of operation Sizzle Chest has. Referals on high end cars that need correction and coatings. I just can't do the daily drivers anymore... nor can most of those customers afford what we do. I refer the calls for DD's off to another buddy in my area that focuses on daily drives at an affordable price point. So hopefully I'm boosting his business!

AZ is just way too nice to spend your time working out of a garage on Sat/Sun... Way too much country to see, hikes to take and bike rides to enjoy. You might say my environment has led me to REI more than Autogeek.. LOL. Never thought I'd be an outdoorsy person.

My day job keeps me technically challenged. Lots of white papers to read, and we have our own technical forums for our three content solutions and data ingest tools. Yup we're IOT all the way! We bought a house, so that was a big deal... We're all settled in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Paul,

You were a huge help when I first got started—even a bigger help once I moved to New Hampshire.

You helped me understand the market better and had great knowledge about your products.

Thanks for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thank you Dan! We have to help each other out. Deatilers at our level are artisans. Skilled not just with technique and product but turn something into a work of art. I saw a Bugatti Chiron locked away in a private fenced parking area in the Pru Center one night... Someone has to detail it, why not you??

13. Thanks VISITOR thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, PaulMys, SWETM liked this post