autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Was Your First Car?

My first car was a Maroon '93 Pontiac Grand AM I bought used my senior year of college. The thing was a gutless pig, and after only 6 years and 90K-ish miles it was falling apart. Of all the cars I've owned, I've only cheefully sold two...the Grand Am was one of them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Turd brown '74 Plymouth Satellite. Stalled at every corner when it rained. Choke never worked so I used a block of wood on the gas pedal to keep it running while it warmed up on cold winter mornings. My kids have no clue how good they have it!

3. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    You meant V6, rightWhat Was Your First Car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Hahaha, The previous owner put a V8 in it lol. I guess he wanted a SHO but had a big family lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Likes Klasse Act, ronkh57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1973 Dodge Dart SWINGER!!! I bought it in 1979 for $1500.
    Same color as this one.
    What Was Your First Car?-1973-dodge-swinger-jpg
    It's not that I have a thick skin, it's really just that I'm too dumb to know when I've been insulted.

7. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RottenII View Post
    Turd brown '74 Plymouth Satellite. Stalled at every corner when it rained. Choke never worked so I used a block of wood on the gas pedal to keep it running while it warmed up on cold winter mornings. My kids have no clue how good they have it!
    Same for my kids. The concept of engines not running well in the cold, door latches freezing open so you have to hold them closed while driving, and floorboards rusting through are all far in the past. Manual choke? Hardly any yard equipment even have those anymore! While I've never driven a manual choke car, my dad had an old Toyota with one that I remember. You could actually use it like a crude form of cruise control!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes ronkh57, RottenII liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by golliger View Post
    1973 Dodge Dart SWINGER!!! I bought it in 1979 for $1500.
    Same color as this one.
    What Was Your First Car?-1973-dodge-swinger-jpg
    I love these cars!

Post Thanks / Like

1983 Subaru LE Coupe...... before it was considered cool to drive a Subaru

Post Thanks / Like

My parents gave me use of their 1982 Citation X-11 when I was 16. That car was fun to drive, but kept leaving me stranded. So I gave it back to them and took their 1985 Nissan Sentra. With all of 69hp, it was not fun to drive, but never left me stranded. After a few years of driving that boring but reliable car, I bought a 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R brand new. And I still have it:

13. Likes ronkh57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My first actual car purchase was a 1979 Chevy Monza, very much like this...

What Was Your First Car?-chevrolet-monza-13-jpg

I was a senior in college (1987) with a part-time job earning just above minimum wage ($4 an hour). The car was previously owned by a guy who was subletting my roommate's room for the summer. He just bought a Mazda RX7 and was desperate to get rid of the Monza since he couldn't keep two cars. He offered the car to me for $50 and at first I refused. The thing is, I drove the car once prior to that and swore I'd never drive it again. It had been in an accident at some point and the rear bumper was hanging about 2" low on one side. But the real problem was that the alignment was so bad that if you let go of the steering wheel at 30mph, you'd be in somebody's front lawn within 50 feet. You absolutely had to hold the wheel straight every second you drove.

But, my girlfriend was standing there as I was declining the offer and she talked me into buying it just so I had a car of some sort. So, for $50 (which probably took me two weeks to pay off) I was a not-so-proud car owner.

My knowledge of car maintenance consisted of knowing where to put in oil (but not how often) and how to change a flat tire. So I drove the car as it was for a year, bad alignment and all. I don't recall actually changing the oil while I owned it, but I probably only put 5k miles on it.

About 6 months after buying it, the drivers door lock stopped working and the door couldn't be opened from the outside. It was too much of a pain, even for a 20 year old in excellent shape, to crawl across the center console from the passenger side, so I just left the window open and learned to do the Dukes of Hazzard window slide. Real classy, I know.

Eventually the clutch started to slip beyond what I could work with, so I ended up junking it for $75. Considering I never did any maintenance, I made $25 driving it for a year.

15. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My first car was a 1980 Monte Carlo.... ORANGE!!!... my dad had it painted 'Teal Green' as a surprise for my birthday when I actually turned 16... was a nice little car to ride around in... go to school... etc... throw a box and an amp in and I was happening... this was 1990ish... this isn't the car, but it's similar...

Ryan

What Was Your First Car?-monte-carlo-jpg

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.