autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Rusted Cast Iron / Iron X / Iron remover

I have started learning how to cook and started using Cast Iron pan. To learn more about it, I joined a community specifically for Cast Iron. Every second day there is someone in the community who finds a cast iron pan that is rusted and needs to clean or restored. People there spend so much time scrubbing, soaking and what not just to get rust out.

I read those post and wonder.... If detailing products like Iron X or Iron remover can be used to clean or restore the pans? What do you guys think, will Iron X work? Has anyone here used Iron remover on their Cast Iron cookware?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rusted Cast Iron / Iron X / Iron remover

It will sure remove the rust from the surface , but if it wont be coated or treated anti rust , it will reappear again.

3. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine the smell of the food cooked on a pan that was previously treated with Iron X? Yuck!
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Iron X isn't food grade safe. I'd steer away from using it. But the I like the outside the box thinking! Seems like there should be a good answer out there as cast iron has been used for hundreds of years.

6. Likes rmtaylor51, oneheadlite, Swift liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsPureBrilliance View Post
    Yeah Iron X isn't food grade safe. I'd steer away from using it. But the I like the outside the box thinking! Seems like there should be a good answer out there as cast iron has been used for hundreds of years.
    That was my first thought too was if it would be food safe. Sure there are lots of detailing chemicals you could use in the kitchen, but how safe are they if they come in contact with food?

Post Thanks / Like

The fastest and easiest and probably the safest way that I can think of to remove rust from cast iron that will be used for cooking would be sandblasting.

Other than that the best chemical I have ever used for removing rust is muratic acid.

Post Thanks / Like

http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, thank you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Submerge the pan in white vinegar. Work the rust with your finger (wear a glove). It could take a couple of hours to a day or two depending on how much rust build up there is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I have started learning how to cook and started using Cast Iron pan. To learn more about it, I joined a community specifically for Cast Iron. Every second day there is someone in the community who finds a cast iron pan that is rusted and needs to clean or restored. People there spend so much time scrubbing, soaking and what not just to get rust out.

I read those post and wonder.... If detailing products like Iron X or Iron remover can be used to clean or restore the pans? What do you guys think, will Iron X work? Has anyone here used Iron remover on their Cast Iron cookware?
    I would recommend looking up the care and use of a Cast Iron Skillet. They need seasoned properly (I found using our grill best) and it also adds to the flavor. Then going forward using a stainless steal chain to clean it and there is also special oil that you wipe on after each cleaning. It is a seasoning oil that will not go rancid. Both area available on Amazon.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)