autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage Floor Coating

I notice on IG, here, and other detailing forums that some detailers have their floors coated, some have bare concrete, and some have floating tiles.

Can someone clue me in to the advantages and disadvantages of each? I have always just had bare concrete and can't see a reason to spend thousands of dollars on tiles or a coating.

Coating -

Cons
    Cost (Approximately $3k)
    Potential peeling issues
    Potentially slippery when wet

Pros
    Concrete won't stain when changing vehicle fluids or if one begins to leak
    Aesthetics

Garage Tiles -

Cons
    Cost (Approximately $3k)
    Water stays stagnant under the vehicle (no way to push away)
    Similar to above, but winter salt/magnesium chloride stay attached to concrete floor below
    Wheeled chairs might not roll as easily/floor jack

Pros
    Comfort while working long hours
    Aesthetics

Anything I'm missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Floor Coating

with some of the tiles...like SwissTrax.....it's not comfortable to kneel on

Post Thanks / Like

I coated my 20'x20' garage myself about ten years ago and it cost me about $400 in materials. This included a two-part gray epoxy, chips, and a two-part clear coat. I've had no pealing, but my garage faces south and living in AZ, the top gloss coat is lo longer shiny. It looked great for about 5 years. If you lived in a place where they put salt on the roads, I personally wouldn't go this route. Note that you can put this special stuff in the top coat to prevent the slippery floors.

I've been researching having it done professionally, and I've been seeing $1200 for a garage my size. Where do you get $3k?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    with some of the tiles...like SwissTrax.....it's not comfortable to kneel on
    Add another one to the "Cons".

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    I coated my 20'x20' garage myself about ten years ago and it cost me about $400 in materials. This included a two-part gray epoxy, chips, and a two-part clear coat. I've had no pealing, but my garage faces south and living in AZ, the top gloss coat is lo longer shiny. It looked great for about 5 years. If you lived in a place where they put salt on the roads, I personally wouldn't go this route. Note that you can put this special stuff in the top coat to prevent the slippery floors.

I've been researching having it done professionally, and I've been seeing $1200 for a garage my size. Where do you get $3k?
    Based on my research, I would never use epoxy as it is prone to issues in the garage. I would only consider a polyurea coating. "polyurea material - 3 times as durable as epoxy and 4 times as stain resistant, with a MUCH better warranty"

6. Likes John G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had both epoxy and Racedeck tile floors. Epoxy looks better IMO but the tile has held up better than the epoxy. although that could have been an install issue with the epoxy.

With tile you can do a pattern, check out some of the things people have done under galleries on the Racedeck page. I did a pattern using beige, gray and black. Looks awesome but both the black and beige get dirty fast. One other plus if you plan on moving tile can move with you.

Don't forget Racedeck is sold on Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRocket View Post
    Based on my research...
    I would only consider a polyurea coating.
    •That’d be my choice as well:
    -I’d much rather enhance the bare concrete,
    than cover it up with floor tiles—(along with
    their inherent “Cons”, that you’ve been kind
    enough to list).

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I put down the Rustolem coating with flakes and coated with the clear they sell. I have gotten about 7 years from it and half that time one side was never driven on and only the garage queen sat there. Now that both dailies are in and out It’s starting to show it’s age. Flaking and sun faded.Found a local guy who is going to remove and put down poly coating for around 1200 for a 20x20 can’t wait for spring.

Post Thanks / Like

i really depends how nice and what you do in your garage.

I was quoted about 2500 to do a 2+ sized garage with polyurethane coating, vs $150 in materials to do an epoxying coating. At the end of the day I found it was a better value of my money to spend $150 to do the floor myself, and buy cabinets and tool drawers and work tops to clean up the garage. I dont stage pictures in my garage I store 2 cars bicycles and tools. I spend maybe $1000 total and have a whole wall of tool drawers work tops peg boards.

Now if it was a super nice garage with finished walls I would maybe spring for the expensive polyurathane. I will say with epoxy be sure to properly etch (get a seperate etching solution or 2 and use those, not what comes in the kit) get extra flakes, and let the expoy dry for a week before parking cars on it.

11. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone, I still can't see a reason to spend the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast