autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Very interesting, especially the comment section there What did you do today non-detailing related?What did you do today non-detailing related?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I use the Honda Premium 10W-30 oil in my Honda engined Victa, it comes in a 1L bottle, but annoyingly takes 550ml for each change, and being a Honda, I've never had to top it up between oil changes.

The other annoying thing is, this model doesn't come with a fuel primer, if it hasn't been used for a few weeks it can take up to 20 pulls to get it to start, or first go after spraying some "Start ya B*stard" into it.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    From memory, you have a GCV160, which has a choke instead of a primer. So I would say that the choke is not engaging correctly, and there for not getting enough fuel for the cold start. I think some came with manual chokes via the throttle lever, some had an auto choke.

Honda GCV160 Choke System - YouTube.

Honda GCV Autochoke Explained - YouTube

3. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    From memory, you have a GCV160, which has a choke instead of a primer. So I would say that the choke is not engaging correctly, and there for not getting enough fuel for the cold start. I think some came with manual chokes via the throttle lever, some had an auto choke.
    Yeah, some have manual chokes. I have one with the auto choke.

5. Likes DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago, Briggs & Stratton's came up with the idea of "No Oil Change, Just Check & Add" on their EXi consumer engines. The concept being that due to an improved air filter design, and reduced engine temps, the owner never needs to change the oil, only checking and topping up as needed.

^^Total Bull$hit^^

Just Check and Add Never Change The Mower Oil | Briggs & Stratton

But please, change the oil! This video shows why...................

I follow Brie on YT as well. She's a good mechanic.

The temperature thing is a long shot. Due to the move from a side-valve to an OHV design, this takes the exhaust port and valve out of the block and into a separate cylinder head, which in theory reduces the running temp of the block, and therefore reduced oil consumption and oil temperatures. The change from an oiled foam filter to a pleated paper filter apparently prevents and reduces the possibility of the engine ingesting dust, which in turn helps keep the oil cleaner and reduces wear.

Agreed. And how many car engines use a "pleated" filter? I guess they never change their oil now??

Seeing the thick, gloopy black oil dripping out of those engines should be all the visual evidence you need to ignore Briggs & Stratton's advice and take the 5 minutes to change your oil.

YES!!

I also don't really like the 30-weight oil they like to put in these things. That oil is a very basic mineral oil and is designed to be consistently thick so that it doesn't burn too much due to varying tolerances. This is for a couple of reasons, firstly emissions, secondly for cost control and thirdly for reduced warranty claims due to consumers never checking their oil.

Exactly

The fact Briggs & Stratton also sell a 10W/30 oil says it all. But you will struggle find that stuff outside of an online store or mower shop.

I went one better with Penrite Semi-Synthetic 10W/30 Small Engine. It doesn't burn any faster than the glue-like SAE30 stuff and its cheap enough.

I run full-synthetic in all of my machines after a 10W/30 break in period

So, change your oil....................unless you want to shorten the life of your mower.
    YES!!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes bill walsh, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    YES!!!!
    My heart sank when I spotted the bolded red Total Bull$hit, I thought I had said something wrong.............then I continued to read.

9. Likes Klasse Act, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you believe this, then you probly also buy antifreeze premixedWhat did you do today non-detailing related?What did you do today non-detailing related?.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

11. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    If you believe this, then you probly also buy antifreeze premixedWhat did you do today non-detailing related?What did you do today non-detailing related?.

It's not made in the U.S.?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago View Post
    It's not made in the U.S.?
    Not that. The pre mixed stuff is already mixed 50/50 with water. So your paying for half the product at a same or higher price as you would for a gallon of just straight antifreeze

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Not that. The pre mixed stuff is already mixed 50/50 with water. So your paying for half the product at a same or higher price as you would for a gallon of just straight antifreeze

Oh, I thought it was being claimed that the small motor in the picture with the large made in the USA sticker was not actually made in the USA. I'm out of touch with those things these days - I wasn't even aware that motors like that had transitioned to water cooling. Seems like overkill from a design/cost standpoint but perhaps it was driven by noise/emissions goals, I guess?

Post Thanks / Like

My heart sank when I spotted the bolded red Total Bull$hit, I thought I had said something wrong.............then I continued to read.
    LOL!

I would never call out another AGO brother like that. Even if I disagreed with you.....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes Eldorado2k, DFB liked this post
Page 277 of 353 FirstFirst ... 177227267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286287327 ... LastLast