autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today non-detailing related?

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I had the 4Runner at the oil change shop a couple of weeks back and they let me know that the CV boots on the inboard side of both front axles were ripped and puking grease

It’s a common curse when you lift a 4Runner or Tacoma

The rig has 186,000 on it so it’s got some wear and tear

I ordered boot kits and new front brakes as well since they were original although they actually weren’t down to the wear detectors yet

I got the axle out of the drivers side and rebuilt and got it all back together with the new brakes and I got all my tools moved over to start the passenger side later today

At 67 and working on the floor I am not setting any speed records but it is what it is

I will degrease and pressure wash the gunk off the A arm and stuff after I finish, I knew I would have some gear oil drips when I pulled the axle and the gunk wasn’t in the way of the repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you see the calipers through your rims? If so, brush on some caliper paintWhat did you do today non-detailing related?What did you do today non-detailing related?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Can you see the calipers through your rims? If so, brush on some caliper paintWhat did you do today non-detailing related?What did you do today non-detailing related?

Doubt it.

3. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I had the 4Runner at the oil change shop a couple of weeks back and they let me know that the CV boots on the inboard side of both front axles were ripped and puking grease

It’s a common curse when you lift a 4Runner or Tacoma

The rig has 186,000 on it so it’s got some wear and tear

I ordered boot kits and new front brakes as well since they were original although they actually weren’t down to the wear detectors yet

I got the axle out of the drivers side and rebuilt and got it all back together with the new brakes and I got all my tools moved over to start the passenger side later today

At 67 and working on the floor I am not setting any speed records but it is what it is
    It's more than I would attempt to tackle so you get props from me, regardless of speed.

5. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

I’m sure you can see part of them but I honestly don’t care at all

Like my dad used to say, that would be like putting lipstick on a pig

7. Likes Eldorado2k, bill walsh, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Had to cancel the appointment to have my car tuned.... As fate would have it my wife got an email this morning at 8:58 that she and eleven others were being let go. So I canceled the appointment to save the nearly $1400. Sucks...so close. But I guess it is better than handing over the $1400 and finding out the day after. I wondered when her cushy 100% remote job would fail her....seemed too good to be true. Made more than me, got more holidays than me, and got to control the thermostat. I was jealous! Maybe I can catch the Labor Day sale....she will more than likely have another gig by then.
    You can get another wife…. And another $1400. You can’t replace the joy you woulda got from the tune!

I kid and sorry to hear about your wife’s job. Hope she gets a better job and reward your fiscal responsibility with letting you get the tune and a down pipe.

9. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was waiting for the brake cleaner to completely evaporate on the CV joint for the 4Runner and I suddenly remembered I had bought these last fall to plug up the holes left in my grille after my front license plate delete on the little car

I think it worked well. The crap is a combo of dirty car and plastic shavings. I increased bit size a 64th of an inch at a time to get a snug fit

11. Likes Tasmania, Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put down some patio blocks so the grill isn't rolling on dirt. 100% amateur job (i.e. I didn't do the base properly), but much better than walking on black dirt.

Also replaced the tailshaft bushing and seal in my Foxbody. Seal was leaking and common cause is worn bushing. Old bushing was definitely worn and the old seal had a small tear. After a short drive with the new parts, seems to be good. Props to Mustang forum member who loans the ($200) tool out for $50+ shipping. Could not be done in the car without it.

Got the car done this morning and patio blocks early afternoon before heat really kicked in (currently 89F).

A few pics of patio, old bushing and the new seal in.

13. Likes Tasmania, Big Dave, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago, Briggs & Stratton's came up with the idea of "No Oil Change, Just Check & Add" on their EXi consumer engines. The concept being that due to an improved air filter design, and reduced engine temps, the owner never needs to change the oil, only checking and topping up as needed.

Just Check and Add Never Change The Mower Oil | Briggs & Stratton

But please, change the oil! This video shows why...................

The temperature thing is a long shot. Due to the move from a side-valve to an OHV design, this takes the exhaust port and valve out of the block and into a separate cylinder head, which in theory reduces the running temp of the block, and therefore reduced oil consumption and oil temperatures. The change from an oiled foam filter to a pleated paper filter apparently prevents and reduces the possibility of the engine ingesting dust, which in turn helps keep the oil cleaner and reduces wear.

Seeing the thick, gloopy black oil dripping out of those engines should be all the visual evidence you need to ignore Briggs & Stratton's advice and take the 5 minutes to change your oil.

I also don't really like the 30-weight oil they like to put in these things. That oil is a very basic mineral oil and is designed to be consistently thick so that it doesn't burn too much due to varying tolerances. This is for a couple of reasons, firstly emissions, secondly for cost control and thirdly for reduced warranty claims due to consumers never checking their oil.

The fact Briggs & Stratton also sell a 10W/30 oil says it all. But you will struggle find that stuff outside of an online store or mower shop.

I went one better with Penrite Semi-Synthetic 10W/30 Small Engine. It doesn't burn any faster than the glue-like SAE30 stuff and its cheap enough.

So, change your oil....................unless you want to shorten the life of your mower.

15. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, chilly, PaulMys, opie, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Several years ago, Briggs & Stratton's came up with the idea of "No Oil Change, Just Check & Add" on their EXi consumer engines. The concept being that due to an improved air filter design, and reduced engine temps, the owner never needs to change the oil, only checking and topping up as needed.

Just Check and Add Never Change The Mower Oil | Briggs & Stratton

But please, change the oil! This video shows why...................

The temperature thing is a long shot. Due to the move from a side-valve to an OHV design, this takes the exhaust port and valve out of the block and into a separate cylinder head, which in theory reduces the running temp of the block, and therefore reduced oil consumption and oil temperatures. The change from an oiled foam filter to a pleated paper filter apparently prevents and reduces the possibility of the engine ingesting dust, which in turn helps keep the oil cleaner and reduces wear.

Seeing the thick, gloopy black oil dripping out of those engines should be all the visual evidence you need to ignore Briggs & Stratton's advice and take the 5 minutes to change your oil.

I also don't really like the 30-weight oil they like to put in these things. That oil is a very basic mineral oil and is designed to be consistently thick so that it doesn't burn too much due to varying tolerances. This is for a couple of reasons, firstly emissions, secondly for cost control and thirdly for reduced warranty claims due to consumers never checking their oil.

The fact Briggs & Stratton also sell a 10W/30 oil says it all. But you will struggle find that stuff outside of an online store or mower shop.

I went one better with Penrite Semi-Synthetic 10W/30 Small Engine. It doesn't burn any faster than the glue-like SAE30 stuff and its cheap enough.

So, change your oil....................unless you want to shorten the life of your mower.
    I use the Honda Premium 10W-30 oil in my Honda engined Victa, it comes in a 1L bottle, but annoyingly takes 550ml for each change, and being a Honda, I've never had to top it up between oil changes.

The other annoying thing is, this model doesn't come with a fuel primer, if it hasn't been used for a few weeks it can take up to 20 pulls to get it to start, or first go after spraying some "Start ya B*stard" into it.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

18. Likes DFB, PouncingPanzer, chilly liked this post
Page 276 of 353 FirstFirst ... 176226266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280281282283284285286326 ... LastLast