autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why???

What makes me the most upset are the split parkers. You park in a wide spot all the way at the edge, risking curbing your wheels to end up with a car that is perfectly in the middle of you and the car on the other side of them. Usually with their tires over the white line on your side.

Those get a complimentary mirror folding from me on occasion.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you just hate it when inconsiderate people park like this ?

I'm gonna have to go there at lunch and find another parking spot. Don't want to get a ding. SMH.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from the grocery store,ground zero for dings and scratches. I parked far away and luckily got away just fine.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
    Don't you just hate it when inconsiderate people park like this ?
    Yup... how can you NOT stay in the lines???????
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I've come to the conclusion half our driving population are freaking idiots.

I feel the same way you all feel. Heck, I'm the guy that created this, the Vehicle INSPECTION FORM!

I'm HYPER sensitive to door dings. Heck I park my RENTAL CARS in he back 40!

And this is one of the reasons, most of my life I've owned mostly Monster Trucks. Once I figured out I could no longer trust my fellow human beings to have half a brain and park like a sane person,

I went UP!

From 1981 to 1987 - 1971 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 sitting on 44" Swampers and about 18" lift with I-beam bumpers

From 1987 to 1997 - 1969 Blazer CST 4x4

If you look closely, you can see the half-cab soft top just like the truck has in the above picture.

From about 1997 to 2001 - 1973 Blazer 4x4

From 2002 to 2007 - 1973 2-wheel Drive Blazer

Well, this one didn't go UP but it was cool.

I sold the hardtop after I bought it, this picture was taken around Christmas in the Mojave Dessert when I lived in SoCal

From 2009 to 2014 - 1974 GMC Jimmy 4x4

468 BBC

From 2014 to 2017 - 1987 Chevy Silverado 4x4

2017 to the present, alas, now all I have is a lowly mundane SUV daily driver.

Mike sad....

But yeah, if you can't beat them... install a huge lift kit, cut out the fenders and get some Boggers!

7. Likes Oz_TCH, Diner, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a sweet truck Mike
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Now with the Lexus SUV you have to worry about dings. Come join the rest of the Autogeeks in the back of the parking lot LOL.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

10. Likes DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i go to the gym and pick an empty locker (away from others) and out of the hundreds there, someone has to come and be right near to the one i'm using. it's like, none of those other empty ones will suffice?

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    i go to the gym and pick an empty locker (away from others) and out of the hundreds there, someone has to come and be right near to the one i'm using. it's like, none of those other empty ones will suffice?
    Yeah it’s the same with parking spaces.
    Why do you have to be RIGHT next to me????

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post

That was a sweet truck Mike
    Which one?

Big Blue was the best for me. I had been bugging this guy to sell it to me but he didn't want to sell. Then he got a job in California and had to move with his wife and new baby. I had cash saved up for it and about 10 minutes after he called asking me if I was still interested he was signing the title over.

This was on a Friday. I had already built a 396 Big Block Chevy engine for it and it was ready to go. I drove it home and into my shop around 2:00pm.

The next day, Saturday I was backing it out of the shop with the big block in and running. I've done this 3 times now in my life, that is swapped out engines in roughly 24 hours. I like turning wrenches on my own stuff.

A few months down the road my best friend Eric and I removed the transmission and transferase and installed a custom built Turbo 400 short shaft and a 2 Ton Military Transfercase. Made all the custom mounts and had a custom mini driveline built to go between the transmission and the transfercase.

If you look at the picture of the blue 1971 Chevy, you can see the 2-ton tranfercase hanging low in the center under the truck. The reason why you do this is to. lift the truck up high while reducing driveline angles.

I grew up with gear heads and specifically Mud Truck Gear Heads, it was the rage when I got out of high school. My buddy Eric was the first guy in town to get 40" when they first came to market and I was the first guy to get 44" swampers when they were first introduced.

I rand through 2 sets of 44" tall tires on the blue truck before I sold it.

I also pulled my drag boat all over kingdom come with that truck. Eric and built the custom 12" I-beam bumpers and then built a 4 foot long drop hitch to pull the boat.

That's a 4 FOOT LONG chunk of 4" square stock that attached to the I-beam bumper and then went down to about a foot off the ground where there was a 1/2" plate steel welded to attach the trailer ball.

This is what you call heavy duty. There was also a secondary square tube bolted at an angle from the bottom of the drop hitch that travelled at an angle to the underside of the frame to prevent the 4' long drop hitch from flexing when towing the boat.

I wish I had pictures of all this but back then we didn't have Digital cameras and I didn't document stuff like this the way I do now.

The roll bar in the back of the truck was custom welded up out of 4" steel tubing.

I cut the top off and had a custom soft top fabricated for it. While sitting behind the steering wheel I could pull 2 pins across the top of the windshield and top the top.

Eric and I custom built the lift kit, the frame lift and the body lift.

Not that size matters but in my home town, it was the baddest truck around for as long as I owned it. That is except for Eric's truck.

15. Likes mc2hill liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.