autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Examplefication paper or process paper 3 pages.

I am in summer school for college and it sucks.

I have a 3 pages proccess paper due tmrw, anyone know any good topics that you can talk about for 3 pages, that wont be totally boring. ?

Post Thanks / Like
    You could talk about Neothin's washing techniiques! Or how to detail a car. If your teacher is a male, he'll probably give you an "A".

Post Thanks / Like
    he is a male haha, now to detail a car I just started so its hard to write about something for 3 pages when you barely know it urself haha, any main pointers I should talk about?

it would be pretty boring to say, first you wash it then you clay it then you polish it then you put the sealant on then you wax it haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    I once did a paper on racing (since I road course race, raced waverunners etc). Talked about physics involved, setting up for corners blah blah. Everyone including the professor was really into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adde
    he is a male haha, now to detail a car I just started so its hard to write about something for 3 pages when you barely know it urself haha, any main pointers I should talk about?

it would be pretty boring to say, first you wash it then you clay it then you polish it then you put the sealant on then you wax it haha.
    http://autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

This has everything you need to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    my g/f did all my exam papers, thats why I married her !! No wonder she still says I need a secretary !!!!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    haha my g/f now corrects all mine she does say I get better but still eh its okay I have an excuse english is my 2nd language

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, what a cool assignment. Write about ANYTHING for 3 pages. Sheesh, my papers were like who do you think has a more optomistic view on changing in religion between Boethius, Paul, and some one else. Even the TA didn't really know how to explain that one, which was good, because then they grade easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    alright, i did the same exact type of paper 2 semesters ago-

The first time that a person buys a brand new car is special. I bet if they were asked about it, they would recall a great feeling of pride. I can also bet that probably wanted to take care of how the new vehicle looks. To most this would consist of regular washing and every once in a while applying a coat of wax. For the majority of people this is sufficient, but for those out there that participate in car shows, the results obtained from these few steps are just not enough to be competitive. Car show participants must go through several other steps and processes to obtain the breathtaking results that they need to be comparable with other cars present in shows. I have been a hobbyist automotive detailer for several years now, and I think that I know what it takes to be competitive in car shows. With this essay I hope to show the reader just how extensive the preparation of a cars paintjob can be when it is being prepared for a high end car show.
    Before anything is done to the car, one must first assess the severity of the imperfections in the cars finish. There are many things that can be considered a defect in an automotive finish, all of which will count against the show participants final score. Examples of these defects include swirl marks, which are very fine scratches in the cars clear coat, paint chips caused by rocks and other debris striking the car and taking paint off, and burn marks caused by improper polishing machine usage. While these are not the only defects that can be found, they are the most common.
    Once the damage present in the cars finish has been assessed, the first step that follows is washing the car. This step will remove any loose dirt, dust, and other such contaminants from the paint. When washing the car, using a high quality automotive soap and a sheepskin wash mitt will help prevent the finish from being scratched in the washing process. This is because automotive soap has been specially formulated to be very slick, and this combined with the softness of the mitt helps lift dirt off of the paint rather than having it scrape across the surface can cause swirl marks. After the car has been thoroughly washed, it should be dried quickly with an absorbent towel or chamois in order to prevent the formation of waterspots.
    Once the car has been completely dried, an item called a clay bar should be used over the entire paint surface. While washing the car removes loose debris, some contaminants become stuck to the paint, and a regular wash cannot remove them. A clay bar is what is used to remove them. The clay itself is somewhat sticky and can be shaped. To use it, form the clay into the shape of a wafer and put it into the palm of your hand. Once you do this, use the special lubricant spray that is normally included with the clay bar over a small area of the car. When the area of the car that is going to be clayed is sufficiently covered with lubricant, gently glide the clay over the area. Be careful not to press too hard onto the paint because the clay itself is abrasive and if it's pressured into the paint, it will cause scratches. Continue this until the entire car has been clayed.
    What’s left after washing and claying is a completely clean car that has no contaminants on the surface. Now is the time when the actual repairing of the paint will occur. To start, one is going to need a few tools. These would be a buffing machine and assorted pad attachments to the machine that have different grades of abrasiveness to them. While these next few repairing steps can be performed by hand, using a machine will take far less time, and with advances in technology, is safe for the paint.
    Once these tools have been collected, start off by using a medium abrasiveness pad along with a medium abrasiveness polish. This is what should be used first because ninety percent of cars that need repairing can be fixed with this combination. Place several nickel sized drops of polish onto the pad and with the machine off spread the polish across a 2x2 area of the paint. Once the polish has been spread, turn the machine to a medium speed and moving the machine in horizontal, vertical, and diagonal ways, buff the area. After a few passes, turn the machine to a high speed setting and go over the area for a few more passes. Once this is done, place the machine on the ground, pad side up so you don’t get dirt onto the pad, and take a soft towel and gently wipe off the area that was just polished. Continue this process for the rest of the car.
    When the medium abrasiveness polish and pad combination has been used on the entire car, switch the pad and polish to those that have very little abrasiveness. This combination will remove any scratches left over by the previous step. Again, add polish to the pad, spread the polish onto a small area of the paint, go over the area with the machine on a medium setting, go over the area again with the machine on a high speed setting, and then using a soft towel, wipe off the remaining polish. Please note that in some cases, several applications of medium and low abrasiveness polish may be needed to completely correct paint damage. In some cases even, a high abrasiveness combination may have to be used in order to correct imperfections. Another useful tip, do not use the same pad for different products. Not only will you get sub-par results, but these polishes are chemicals, and one does not know what kinds of reactions will occur if they were to be mixed. To be safe, use one pad for one product. If you need to use the same pad that another product was applied with, either have a spare in your supplies or be sure to thoroughly wash it in warm water and soap.
    Once the polishing steps have been completed, it is time to move to the last steps of sealing and protecting the paint. A machine buffer will be used again, but remember hand application can still be used if one wants to. Instead of using an abrasive pad in these steps, a non-abrasive one will be used. The products used in these steps are not meant to correct paint damage, instead they are supposed to protect and add to the beauty of the cars finish, and because of this they should not be used with an abrasive pad that is used for correcting damage.
    To start, one must again get the paint surface back to being completely clean. While at the beginning of the detail one washed and then used a clay bar to get the car completely clean, this cleaning step needs to be different. In this cleaning step, one must use a chemical cleaner to break down and remove left over polish residue that is present on the paints surface. This cleaner is applied almost the same as polish. To apply, add several nickel sized drops of cleaner to the non abrasive pad, spread the cleaner over a small area of paint, then using a medium speed setting on the machine, buff the area. After making a few passes, set the machine down and wipe the cleaner off with a plush towel. This leaves a chemical free surface that is free of imperfections.
    Once this status has been reached, it is time to start turning the car into a show winner. One must start with a product called a glaze. This is a special product that enhances the look of a cars finish by adding a layer of oils that add gloss to the paint. Apply the glaze in the same fashion that you did with the chemical cleaner.
    The oils left over by glazing the paint are very fragile. They evaporate rather quickly and are broken down easily by direct sunlight. To prevent these oils from being removed, one must use a product called a sealant. Sealants will create a hard acrylic covering over the oils that will prevent them from evaporating. While the oils will still break down in sunlight, they will last longer when they have been sealed in rather than just being on the surface unprotected. Apply the sealant in the same way that the glaze was applied. After the sealant has been applied, allow the product to cure, or dry completely, before going on to additional steps. The typical time period necessary for a sealant to completely cure is anywhere between six to twelve hours. This allows the acrylic to completely set up. This is what will provide the maximum protection to the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are now at the time in the detail when the cars finish is looking utterly amazing. It has been cleaned, polished, cleaned again, glazed, and sealed. This is the point in the detail when what is called a last step product is used. The more common name for a last step product is wax. If one has ever walked into an automotive store and looked at the car cleaning supplies aisle, one must have seen many different types of waxes. The decision on what wax to use can either make or break the show quality finish. To choose, the type of paint that is on the car is going to have to be looked at. This can be either a flat paint, a metallic flake paint, or some of the more exotic chameleon or color changing paint. The most common answer in wax choice is a pure carnauba wax. Carnauba is the clear shiny covering found on plant leaves that in nature help plants repel water. This has been harvested and then through special formulations, has been able to be used in automotive paint care. A pure carnauba wax gives the finish a warm glow and allows for sharp, clear reflections to be seen in the paint. In other words, a carnauba wax will make the car look its very best. This is why it is so common to hear that car show winners use a carnauba wax in their car show preparation arsenal. Apply the carnauba wax in the same was as the chemical cleaner and glaze.
    Many of the supplies listed here can be found in a local automotive store. While these products will get the job done, online vendors that stock specialty products are going to be the best bet when it comes to getting the results that are wanted. While I personally have over 150 different products in my detailing arsenal, someone that wants to get started only needs a select few. They can also stick with brand name products such as meguiars seeing as they have been around for a long time in the detailing business and because of this their formulas are of high quality. To purchase the detailing supplies list outlined in this essay it would cost somewhere in the range of four hundred to five hundred dollars.
    So now one has turned an average looking car into one that is show quality. One thinks that now that his cars paint is perfect, he can just enter a show and be competitive. This is untrue though. One must think about the whole car and not just the paint. The glass, the wheels, the tires, and the interior; all of these and more must be cleaned and prepared. This though, is for another essay. I hope that one now has a grasp on just how much preparation goes into a car show winning paint finish.

i ended up getting an 89 on it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't copy it. i had to submit a hardcopy and a computer file so that it could be added to a plagarism database which a lot of colleges use. I don't want this to come back to haunt me dude....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast