autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CG Critics vis-a-vis Meguiars

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Blacklight and Pete's 53 a few years ago, great results, limited durability. I've moved on.

Few years back with V line polishing, wax, and Jetseal 109

CG Critics vis-a-vis Meguiars-fb_img_1438383019352-jpgCG Critics vis-a-vis Meguiars-fb_img_1442273828592-jpg
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a small handful of CG products I keep around. Their soaps aren't half bad. They use to have a lot of good polishes a few years ago.

But a lot of their polishes/glazes do overlap and do hardly nothing. They know how to market their products that's for darn sure even the bottles are getting nicer(at least the wrap).

Post Thanks / Like

Then there is SmartWax. From what I remember, SmartWax line was more consumer friendly. But I can't say for sure.

Years ago, before I got "into" detailing, I went to some open-house at the CG location and bought some SmartWax products and some MFs.

Early in my detailing life, I picked up some CG products, but have since moved on from them. Just my experience. Didn't care for their durability with the various products I've tried. The hex pads are good, but they're Buff & Shine (or were ?). Pet's 53 is also a pretty good wax.

When I started learning more about the Meguiar's line, it started to feel a bit like the CG thing. BUT, i don't think they're near the level of CG. Seems like CG has 3-4 degreasers/APCs, 30 paste waxes, 20 soaps. I'm not interested in counting the actual numbers. haha... maybe later if I get bored and curious.

Regardless of criticism, find something you like, and use it often (-Mike). I agree with that. If you (and/or your client) are happy with the results, then that's all that matters (put simply).

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I still use Jetseal from time to time and topped with their Black wax I always find those to be an amazing combo. Still not as good as a coating though

Post Thanks / Like

So is Mastersons Wax a subsidiary of CG? I know that guy used to do all of CG videos and then disappeared. He definitely knows how to hype and market products, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by "Mastersons" comments on their YouTube videos, no. Looks like Greg went off and is doing his own thing now

Post Thanks / Like

Marketing is part of all companies sales strategy. As individuals some marketing strategies we may like, some we may not.
    This forum is a part of AG's marketing strategy. Bob McKee bringing in Mike Phillips to run his training department and interact on this forum was part of Bob's marketing strategy. Bob taking Nick with him to market McKee's 37 and hiring Joe to run the detailing side of Mckee's 37 is another example. It's kind of like when we all anticipate the Superbowl commercials, some we may like, some we may not. I've tried quite a few of CG's products, some I liked, some I didn't. I've also tried many other companies products, some I liked some I didn't.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

CG does get a bad rap but I think it's self inflicted. They have over what now 500 YouTube videos, most covering the same thing over and over and many times conflicting each other. They have a product line that seems to straddle itself on use and intention or just confusing on which should be chosen. While they give that POP to the paint that we all want it doesn't last long, at least in my experience and many reviews online. So I can see it being perfect for the guy who touches his car way to much and doesn't let a product do its thing as it was made but more the always wiping just to wipe to look good at all times guy you see at shows and meets. Also have you noticed that EVERY product is on sale..always, like that store down the road that's "going out of business" but never goes out of business.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

9. Thanks Len_A thanked for this post
    Likes Len_A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Marketing is part of all companies sales strategy. As individuals some marketing strategies we may like, some we may not.
    This forum is a part of AG's marketing strategy. Bob McKee bringing in Mike Phillips to run his training department and interact on this forum was part of Bob's marketing strategy. Bob taking Nick with him to market McKee's 37 and hiring Joe to run the detailing side of Mckee's 37 is another example. It's kind of like when we all anticipate the Superbowl commercials, some we may like, some we may not. I've tried quite a few of CG's products, some I liked, some I didn't. I've also tried many other companies products, some I liked some I didn't.
    This is an interesting comment. When I think about Collinite I think of the anti-marketing company. I don't think Collinite has a marketing strategy.

About Us

The detailing industry today is a far cry from its origins. While manufacturers have made concessions and broadened their product ranges, we’ve refined ours. We’re taking the road less traveled, perfecting the most specialized parts of detailing. Here, the landscape for truly durable waxes isn’t overcrowded. The pretenders are few, and the savvy consumers-the ones who have tried everything and looked everywhere under the sun-know this all too well. That’s why they know Collinite.

How else can you explain that-without traditional marketing or advertising methods, new product launches, or even discounts-Collinite has found its way into these people’s hands-in over 50 different countries and counting? The answer is fundamentally simple and uniquely refreshing; No matter the time that passes or the compromises made around us, Collinite will stay the course and continue to exceed expectations. This is our enduring tribute to those who know us and those yet to find us; the ones who refuse to change or compromise. The ones who know better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    CG does get a bad rap but I think it's self inflicted. They have over what now 500 YouTube videos, most covering the same thing over and over and many times conflicting each other. They have a product line that seems to straddle itself on use and intention or just confusing on which should be chosen. While they give that POP to the paint that we all want it doesn't last long, at least in my experience and many reviews online. So I can see it being perfect for the guy who touches his car way to much and doesn't let a product do its thing as it was made but more the always wiping just to wipe to look good at all times guy you see at shows and meets. Also have you noticed that EVERY product is on sale..always, like that store down the road that's "going out of business" but never goes out of business.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I'm not sticking up for CG, so don't take this the wrong way, it's just a personal observation, but there are a lot of sales around here too. My inbox can attest to that.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast