autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LSNAutoDetailing
  • 1 Post By custmsprty
  • 1 Post By chet31

Thread: Networking the house

  1. #1
    Senior Member aztec1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    659

    Networking the house

    Anyone here has network their home? I am currently looking into doing, just wonder if I should use all 4 ports to connect to my hub (network switch) then have from the switch to connect to the different port around the house? Will one be fine? I have decided to use CAT6 cable for the network wire. Currently have 200 MBPS in which once the networking is done plan on increasing to 300 MBPS.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

  2. #2

    Re: Networking the house

    I may not be completely understanding what you have going.

    But I have a whole house network running cat6 cable with 2 ports in every room besides the bathrooms. I have my modem run one cable to my Switch (port 1) and from there one goes to the Wifi (port 2) and then the rest are for each room. It is all encased in a structured media center in the wall.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member aztec1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    659

    Re: Networking the house

    Quote Originally Posted by adamgayton81 View Post
    I may not be completely understanding what you have going.

    But I have a whole house network running cat6 cable with 2 ports in every room besides the bathrooms. I have my modem run one cable to my Switch (port 1) and from there one goes to the Wifi (port 2) and then the rest are for each room. It is all encased in a structured media center in the wall.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry for the confusion, I am putting some keystones RJ45 on my walls (living room and rooms) in order to have internet access at those points. Should I run 1 line from my modem to the switch (port 1) and then the rest of the ports from the switch to the rest of the keystones for each room? I plan on using 4 keystones for each wall plate (estimate of 16 keystones to be used). Should I use all 4 ports from the modem connect to 4 ports in the switch or just 1 cable to the switch. I will connect 2 PS4 (different rooms) 2 computers (gaming purposes and uploading videos), TV, printer (networking).
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

  4. #4
    Senior Member LSNAutoDetailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,005

    Re: Networking the house

    Sorry for the confusion, I am putting some keystones RJ45 on my walls (living room and rooms) in order to have internet access at those points. Should I run 1 line from my modem to the switch (port 1) and then the rest of the ports from the switch to the rest of the keystones for each room? I plan on using 4 keystones for each wall plate (estimate of 16 keystones to be used). Should I use all 4 ports from the modem connect to 4 ports in the switch or just 1 cable to the switch. I will connect 2 PS4 (different rooms) 2 computers (gaming purposes and uploading videos), TV, printer (networking).
    First off, connecting to cable modem will not get you the download speeds you seek. At best you're going to get 50-80Mbps download from your provider, and 10Mbps upload

    Unless you're doing something specific within your private LAN, like have a media server, game server... it's possible with a 1GiB switched network to obtain 900Mb/s or 112MB/s, mileage may vary and length of the cable will vary. Can your hub support 1GiB? Most can't...

    It's possible you may obtain 300Mb/s, or 37.5MB/s, but certainly not the 300MBPS you state above.

    Also, forget about trying to connect printers via cat-6 cable... The 1990's have called, they want their printers back.
    All printers in my house are WiFi. Which means I can put them wherever I want.... My two WiFi Samsung Color Laser Printers were $120.00 each...

    While the network may help throughput from one PC to another running a game server in another room, if data from that game server is being downloaded from on-line, you may see no difference. It seems like an awful amount of work for not a lot of gain.
    custmsprty likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member aztec1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    659

    Re: Networking the house

    Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    First off, connecting to cable modem will not get you the download speeds you seek. At best you're going to get 50-80Mbps download from your provider, and 10Mbps upload

    Unless you're doing something specific within your private LAN, like have a media server, game server... it's possible with a 1GiB switched network to obtain 900Mb/s or 112MB/s, mileage may vary and length of the cable will vary. Can your hub support 1GiB? Most can't...

    It's possible you may obtain 300Mb/s, or 37.5MB/s, but certainly not the 300MBPS you state above.

    Also, forget about trying to connect printers via cat-6 cable... The 1990's have called, they want their printers back.
    All printers in my house are WiFi. Which means I can put them wherever I want.... My two WiFi Samsung Color Laser Printers were $120.00 each...

    While the network may help throughput from one PC to another running a game server in another room, if data from that game server is being downloaded from on-line, you may see no difference. It seems like an awful amount of work for not a lot of gain.
    I do have an HP which is wifi capable as well just the fact that the modem provided by my provider has terrible wifi range. How would you recommend me to go by? As in switches or hubs.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

  6. #6
    Senior Member custmsprty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,899

    Re: Networking the house

    Why not just get a new modem/router? That's what I just did. I have wifi through out the entire house and no dead spots.
    Hammer77 likes this.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited
    2015 Pearl White Nissan Rogue SL, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR

  7. #7

    Re: Networking the house

    I would run separate cables from the switch to your wall jack. That's just me...but this is for troubleshooting purposes down the road and was of use. Don't use Hubs as communication errors (known as collision) can occur frequently and cause network loss. Especially if you're using Netflix or the like on multiple devices at the same time.

    Printers will be fine on Wifi but Wifi is ALWAYS slower than a direct wired connection. You will get 300 mbps directly from your modem but Speed will decrease at your wall jacks to possibly around 200 Mbps or less if multiple users are on the network.
    I would do away with the providers Wifi and buy a third party wireless router that you can install DDWRT and be more secure and higher wireless speeds
    Just my $0.02.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Senior Member aztec1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    659

    Re: Networking the house

    Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Why not just get a new modem/router? That's what I just did. I have wifi through out the entire house and no dead spots.
    I have 2 pc in the living room, 1 pc in the room, 2 ps4 in which one in the living room and other in the room. The PC I want them physically connected to the modem which is about 20 feet away.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    297

    Re: Networking the house

    I love WiFi, can connect in my garage, in my backyard, etc. We have a gamer in the household, he set up a cable to his room, his download speed was only marginally higher. The limiting factor is usually the provider.
    custmsprty likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-23-2016, 12:19 PM
  2. Networking & New customers
    By fmahmad88 in forum How to make money detailing cars
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM
  3. AG Networking Success
    By ehuth1 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 04:15 AM
  4. Awesome networking book!!!!
    By shineFXdetail in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 06:15 AM
  5. Computer help... networking to be exact.
    By Whitethunder46 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» June 2017

28293031 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 1