autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What computer are you using?

Hey guys, while my computer is compiling a video, decided to chat a bit about computer systems.

Before starting my detailing business, I was a manager for a computer store for 6 years. So I love the subject just as much as detailing

So... Right now I have 2 computers, my main rig is already 6 years old, purchased it in 2011. It's an Intel Core i7 2600K system. Been waiting since then
    for something decent to come out to upgrade but in the last 5 years the market has been stagnant due to the fact AMD had no competitive products.

My second computer is an older Intel Core2Quad Q6600 system. It's about 10 years old, but it's equipped with all the bells and whistles (SSD boot drive, 2 Tb Data Drive, 16 Gb of Ram, 3 monitors configuration, you name it and it has it).

So I was waiting for AMD to release Ryzen to upgrade last month. Since the new CPU came out, I decided to wait since there are a lot of issues with Ryzen still. Very nice processor but manufacturers still need to optimize the BIOS for the motherboards and fix the memory support issues. Also software optimization is needed for the processor to perform correctly in some situations. So with all that said, I think I will wait for Intel to release their answer to Ryzen (coming out in July according to computer rep I spoke to).

I just upgraded my video gear and have started working with 4K videos. Those are pretty heavy and take a long time to render. On my Core2Quad it takes 35 minutes to render each minute of video and on my Core i7 it takes 12 minutes to render each minute of video. A new system will be able to render at the very least twice as fast.

So... what are you guys using, and what do you do with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What computer are you using?

I build my own my current rig, is 4 years old.

AMD FX8150 Black Edition 3.6Ghz 8-core CPU
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX MB
    G.Skill Sniper DDR3 PC1866 16gigs
    2- HIS Icy-Q 6950 in Crossfire
    Mushkin SSD
    Cougar 1200 power supply
    Antec Lan Boy Air tower
    Liquid cooled, AlphaCool res, Swiftec pump, can't think of the name for the radiator, full cooling loop.

I use my for all the basic stuff. I do some gaming, not as much as I used too. I play around with overclocking from time to time. I run it stock all the time, does everything I need pretty fast. I have a couple of tunes saved for a few different things. Have one that will hit 5.7ghz and run stable, but it gets a little hot!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an HP with Next Gen AMD Quad Core A10-5700 8GB Ram 2TB Hard Drive 27 inch monitor. Ive had it for a while. Is this a good set up?
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    I build my own my current rig, is 4 years old.

AMD FX8150 Black Edition 3.6Ghz 8-core CPU
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX MB
    G.Skill Sniper DDR3 PC1866 16gigs
    2- HIS Icy-Q 6950 in Crossfire
    Mushkin SSD
    Cougar 1200 power supply
    Antec Lan Boy Air tower
    Liquid cooled, AlphaCool res, Swiftec pump, can't think of the name for the radiator, full cooling loop.

I use my for all the basic stuff. I do some gaming, not as much as I used too. I play around with overclocking from time to time. I run it stock all the time, does everything I need pretty fast. I have a couple of tunes saved for a few different things. Have one that will hit 5.7ghz and run stable, but it gets a little hot!
    What, no roller cam & ported heads??
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been custom building my PCs for the past 15 years. My main computer:

-i7 3770
    -16 GB Gskill RAM
    -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Video
    -Gigabyte MB
    -2 ASUS 24 inch monitors
    -Synology NAS
    -Windows 10

I'm due for an upgrade, I think.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    So... Right now I have 2 computers, my main rig is already 6 years old, purchased it in 2011. It's an Intel Core i7 2600K system. Been waiting since then for something decent to come out to upgrade but in the last 5 years the market has been stagnant due to the fact AMD had no competitive products.

My second computer is an older Intel Core2Quad Q6600 system. It's about 10 years old, but it's equipped with all the bells and whistles (SSD boot drive, 2 Tb Data Drive, 16 Gb of Ram, 3 monitors configuration, you name it and it has it).
    We are very similar! I have an i5-3750k system now, upgraded from an i5-2500k system and a Q6600 modded XPS system before that. And I too have been thinking about switching (for the first time ever) to an AMD setup since I hear such good things and would love to have more cores for video rendering.

Current setup:

Intel i5-3570k
    Prolimatech Megahalem Cooler
    Asus Sabertooth Mobo
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC1866 16gigs
    2- EVGA GTX 660 in SLI
    Intel 240 SSD
    2 - Samsung 1TB Raid 0
    Corsair HX850
    Raven2 Case

Previous Setup:

8. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just realised I did not post the setups for my machines...

So here it is:

Main rig
    Antec 300 case with 600W Antec Power supply
    Intel DP67BA Moherboard
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz base/3.8 GHz boost
    Stock Intel cooler (ya I know, it sucks but I don't overclock)
    16 Gb of ram
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 with 4 Gb (ahem) of ram
    240 Gb Sandisk SSD boot drive
    Western Digital 2 Tb drive (I believe it is a green model)
    LG Blue Ray writer
    Still running Windows 7, will really miss this when I am force to upgrade to Windows 10 on the next machine
    This machine is my gaming rig so it's hooked up to my 50'' plasma TV in the living room
    I use a wireless mouse and keyboard from my lazy boy to control this

Work computer
    Antec Silent II case with Antec 500W power supply
    Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Zalman Copper cooler
    16 Gb of ram
    ATI Radeon 6870 with 2 Gb of ram
    128 Gb Samsung 840 SSD boot drive
    Western digital 2 Tb Hard drive (green)
    DVD Writer
    Memory card interface bay (Compact Flash, MicroSD, etc)
    Windows 7 64 bits
    Wireless Keyboard and mouse
    3 monitor display : 2 X 27 inch 1080p panels and 1 X 24 inch 1080p panel

Pretty cool to see you guys having custom rigs!

I game a lot especially in winter time since my detailing business is closed and I have more free time. Just spent over 120 hours in the last month completing Mass Effect Andromeda. Would have gamed a lot more if Civilization 6 and X-Com 2 had not been duds. Getting difficult to find good games but I think my next Game will be Witcher 3.

On my work computer I do mostly web editing, stock trading, and video editing. I could get away with video editing in 1080p or lower without any problems but 4K is a little too heavy for this machine now. It takes several minutes just to import the video in the software and then render time is horrible I will probably end up doing the rending on my main computer until I upgrade, but doing editing with 3 screens it 100 times better than using single TV screen, so I will have to be patient with the import process.

I am planning on producing about 20 videos for my detailing web site this summer. I just upgraded to Vegas Studio Platinum 14. Very nice video edition software, I have been using Vegas for the last 8 years. Started with Version 9 then upgraded to 11 and now 14.

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S7 to shoot video in 4K. The camera can also do neat stuff like shoot 240 frames per second at 720p. It also has the ability to do time lapse videos which could be very nice to show long details.

For sound I decided to go with a Lavalier Mic, so far I am pleased with it but only had it less than a week and only did basic testing with it so far. Will post a test video I just did in an other post.

For me, it will depend on what Intel releases in July. If their new Core i7 is better than Ryzen 7, I will very likelly go with that. If not I think Ryzen 7 1700 is probably the best value for my needs. I just hate the fact that it's not that good for gaming compared to the Core i7 7700. But optimizations have improved things a little so by the time I am ready to upgrade it might be on par or at least closer to Intel CPUs for gaming.

For the video card, I am waiting for the GTX 1170. I don't feel the need to upgrade the GTX 970. The main reason to get a better video card will be virtual reality support. Right now my main computer supports VR but not the high end stuff, so I have not purchased a headset yet. Also wanted to give that segment time to mature a little bit. But the idea of playing Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous in VR is really appealing!

What are you guys planning to upgrade to?

Post Thanks / Like

27' iMac Retina 5k
    3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5
    40 GB Ram

I gave up on Windows when they went to Windows 8

Post Thanks / Like

Amd fx8350 black
    Gtx 1060 video 6gb
    Asus sabertooth mobo
    32gb gskill ram
    250gb primary ssd
    120gb secondary SSD
    (2) 2tb platters
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

My main right now is connected to a 65" Samsung TV and is mainly used to record and edit TV with a 6 tuner cable card tuner and does run 24/7. It probably hasn't been down for a total of 40 hrs since I built it in 2013. Some of that was when I went from a 4770 to the 4790 which went into a machine for my Brother.

My2nd is connected to a 27" Samsung monitor and is used mostly for just video conversion when I get way behind with main. It also has a 6 tuner cable card tuner in it for backup if needed. Last winter (Christmas time) I had both going for about 72hrs straight and did a little over 200 HDTV shows to MP4 for storage.

The last one id hooked up to the TV in the living room and is used to play off the network or Netflix mainly.

I have been building my own computers since my 1st which was a 486/50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast