autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What computer are you using?

**UPDATE**

Ok so I have 20 videos planned for my detailing company this summer. I decided to shoot them and upload them in 4K so a new computer will be needed if I don't want to spend days rendering.

I ordered everything Monday, I expect to receive the parts next week at the latest.

So here are the specs for the new build:

Cougar Voland Mid-Tower case
    EVGA Supernova 750W 80+ Bronze semi-modular Power Supply
    MSI B350 PC MATE Motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 1700 (to me overclocked to around 3,8 GHz depending on termals)
    Cryorig H7 Tower Cooler
    16 Gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR-4 3200 MHz CAS 16 Memory
    Boot drive: Crucial MX300 525 Gb m.2 SSD
    Storage drives: 2 X Hitachi Deskstar 7k3000 7200 RPM 3 Terabyte HD (for a total of 6 Tb)
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 Video card with 4 Gb ram (transferred from previous system)
    LG Blu-Ray Writer (transferred from previous system)
    2 additional case fans (Arctic F12)

Hoping to be up and running by Wednesday next week. Will install Windows 10 since I have no choice. Otherwise I would stay with Windows 7.
    Can't wait to see how Vegas Studio 14 performs on this beast All the benches I have seen regarding video editing were done on Adobe Premiere, I hope Vegas can perform just as
    well on Ryzen. If it does, this will be a lot of fun to use

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RayVega View Post
    We are very similar! I have an i5-3750k system now, upgraded from an i5-2500k system and a Q6600 modded XPS system before that. And I too have been thinking about switching (for the first time ever) to an AMD setup since I hear such good things and would love to have more cores for video rendering.

Current setup:

Intel i5-3570k
    Prolimatech Megahalem Cooler
    Asus Sabertooth Mobo
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC1866 16gigs
    2- EVGA GTX 660 in SLI
    Intel 240 SSD
    2 - Samsung 1TB Raid 0
    Corsair HX850
    Raven2 Case

Previous Setup:

Right now I am working on a build:

Current Parts
    Case:
    CoolerMaster Storm stryker (White)
    Mobo:
    Asrock X99X Faltality
    SSD:
    Samsung 840 Pro
    Samsung 840 Pro M.2 (Card)
    HD:
    WD Black 3T (7,200)
    RAM:
    16 GB G. Skills 288 17000 Ripjaws (plan on upgrading)
    Cooling:
    Coorsair Hydro H100i
    Sound card:
    Creative Sound Blaster Z PCI 116 db
    GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Silent Cooling 4GB (Currently selling it, new unused)

Peding parts:
    CPU: Intel i7 10 core
    GPU (upgrade) Titan X (SLI)
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Ran a few benchmarks on the new machine.

Time to encode a 4K 6 minute video on the Core2Quad 6600: 2 hours and 14 minutes.

Time to encode the same file on the new machine: 21 minutes. 6.38 times faster. I think it's a good improvement I did not run the test on my 2600K but that machine was about twice as fast as the Q6600 so the new machine is about 3 times faster that the core i7 2600k.

There is also a noticable difference while editing, everything is much smoother and I can preview in much better quality without any problems. So really happy with the result. Now if it can just stop raining so I can get some clients. It's driving nuts, average of 5 days of rain per week. Just completelly crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

I should give you some cash to build my next rig!

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Building computers is not that difficult. The hardest part is to hook up the cabling inside. It's still a pain in the butt to hook up the case cabling to the motherboard after all these years. One would have thought they would make a standard where one plug would hook up power switch, reset button, HD led and power led with one connector... but no, it's still a bunch of individual cables where you have to find what polarity cable goes where. Cable management inside the case as improved a lot with the abitlity to pass the cable behind the backplate for the motherboard, but it's still a bit annyoing to do, mostly because it takes a lot of time on something not fun to do.

For the rest, it's pretty much plug and play, lego style building. You can't plug anything at the wrong place, and it's pretty obvious where everything goes. As for choosing components, if you don't want to do the research, plenty of people can help you with it. There are almost no bad choices, it's more a matter of choosing what is more appropriate for your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about this thread lately. After reviewing it just now I realized I was off in my first post. My PC is a little older than I thought. I built my current rig in Feb. 2012. Well, a couple weeks ago I got to thinking about my PC, and started looking into upgrading some things. I figured out my junk really can't be upgraded, dead technology. So since winter is coming quickly in S. Michigan, I need something to keep be occupied indoors for a bit. So after research I just bought a whole bunch of new parts yesterday.

Today I placed the order for a slew of parts from EKWB for the liquid cooling, they are coming from Slovenia-EU, so won't have them for a week or two! Will keep ya posted.

7. Likes Diner liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123