autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here had a total hip replacement? Looking for info

Long story short, I will be having a total hip replacement soon, and I am concerned about how this will affect my ability to continue detailing. I have read that while it will improve my quality of life, some of my ability to sit low, crouch, and kneel may be lessened. I can't get in to the surgeon for a consult for another month, and haven't been able to work since October. Just hoping someone here has some experience with this type of surgery, so I can start planning for wether or not I will be able to get back to doing what I love for a living.

Thanks,
    B

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here had a total hip replacement? Looking for info

Only advice is make sure you do the therapy. My wife is a physical therapist. People who do the therapy turn out well. Those who don't usually continue to have issues. Good luck by the way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone here had a total hip replacement? Looking for info

Lots of factors to consider. If you're middle aged and healthy and do your recovery therapy, there's a good chance you'll be good as new or at least capable of what you're capable of now (there might be a few adaptations you have to make). My best friend had one at 45 and my grandma had one at 90. Both are pretty much back to their normal activity levels. Sure, you might not be bending at the same exact angles in every direction, etc, but if you're overall healthy going in, and have some drive to get back to where you want to be, I bet you'll be back to detailing sooner than you'd think. But... I'm a geologist. So, take that with a grain of salt

Be your own advocate. Ask every single question you want answers to beforehand and settle for nothing else until those questions are answered and you're comfortable. Don't be shy. You deserve to be confident and comfortable with the entire process. And LISTEN TO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPIST. If you don't like the one you're assigned, ask for a different one.

It's not to be taken lightly, but at the same time, they're good at this stuff now days. Risk vs reward. And I can see in your post that that's on your mind. Like I said- ask questions. Lots of them. And you'll find your path.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a hip resurface at 45 (50 now). While it is different from replacement it is a very invasive surgery. I am fully able to do whatever I want and more. I was out of work for a month and walking with a cane in a week. I really started to do better once physical therapy started. I remember going in the garage after 5 days with my walker and applying sealant to the hood-roof-deck lid of my Challenger because I was sick of sitting on the couch. If I could offer some advice it would be to be very diligent with your icing. I always kept a fresh ice pack on my hip. Rotating ice on/ice off every 20 minutes. It helped tremendously and I never swelled up at all. Kept the leg elevated a lot too. Good luck
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I am 46, and in decent health. A few lbs over what I would like to weigh, but not fat. I do smoke, but currently quitting before the surgery. I will have owned my own detailing business for 2 years come may, and word was starting to get out before I was benched in October. I've had nothing but time to sit around and wonder what is going to come of this. I know in the long run it will be worth it. It may even ease some of the issues I have with my back, as well.

Thanks for the info, and well wishes. I will update this thread as we get more info from the doc.

Post Thanks / Like

I waited 12 years to have both hips replaced because I was nervous. Boy oh boy, what took me so long. Now I enjoy detailing even more. You'll be just fine.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

•Does this count?:
    -Not only was it a total hip-replacement...
    but I also replaced anything/everything
    else, in toto, that happened to also be
    attached to that hip of the ex-wife.

•In all seriousness:
    -Please accept my well wishes for a
    speedy and full recovery from surgery.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

If you've been favoring one side or the other due to the hip(s), that could certainly contribute to back problems. Def nix the cigs if you can. You'll heal faster. And get some help with that-- patches, lozenges, whatever works. I know that's a tough one. A lot of states have a free "quit line" telephone number. Some even offer financial assistance for nicotine replacements. Just an FYI if you weren't aware.

Post Thanks / Like

Both my knees and right shoulder are Delron & Titanium--total replacements. Great attitude and therapy and you will be better than new. Ask Mike Phillips.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had a total hip. I had a core decompression and free vascularize fibular graft. Cut out my fibula and blood vessels, drilled a shaft up into the head of the femur, inserted fibula into the shaft and attached blood vessels. It was brutal. 4 months on crutches and wheelchair. 2 more months with a cane. It's still uncomfortable at times. I can't cross my legs. But it has little impact on my detailing.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast