autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow What lighting are you using in your residential garage

I'm embarking on a project that involves adding all new lighting to my 24'x24' garage and would like to know what lighting everyone would recommend. I'm thinking qty 4 or 6 4ft lighting units which would be all on one switch. My gut says gone are the days of needing or using twin bulb fluorescents and perhaps today using LED's?

What would you use or do you have and love?

Thanks for the input!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What lighting are you using in your residential garage

My garage is kind of small like that too. I just have two banks of 4 fluorescent lights overhead and 2 LED bulbs in the garage door light. I'm sure changing my fluorescent bulbs with LEDs would be more energy efficient or something, but I can't imagine it would give me more light. It is bright as day in my garage at night. I've got a couple 2000 lumen led work lights that I use when necessary as well, so I'd say it pretty well lit in there. Definitely enough to be able to see everything I need to correct.
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bunch of four foot fluorescent fixtures with two bulbs in each one.

But Costco had LED 48" fixtures and bulbs on sale last month and I will be putting them up and giving them a try soon. They are supposed to be daylight color temperature too.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been kind of disappointed in the LED bulbs I've used. Yeah, they are daylight color, but they aren't as bright as other bulbs. Remember that it isn't about the color of the light as much as it is about the lumens produced. I've gone through several different LED bulbs in the ceiling fan in my bedroom and I finally just went back to regular bulbs because the LEDs were all so dim. The color was great, but they just weren't throwing out enough light.
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Post Thanks / Like

So just from a couple replies and a few web searches, it appears LED's aren't prime-time yet in terms of brightness. I have two in my garage door opener that are like 6" tubes and they are very bright like 1,700 lumens bright and they work great, thus why I was asking. Will keep searching but am still interested in other thoughts.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I have four 4' fixtures with 4 T5HO bulbs in each in a 20'X28' shop with 10' ceilings and it is super bright. The T5 fixtures and bulbs are more expensive than T8 bulbs and fixtures, but I think the T5 fixtures are the way to go. We have T8 lights with six bulbs in each in a different farm shop and the T5s are much brighter. The number of lights you need depends a lot on the ceiling height. Since you say it's for a garage it's probably a lower ceiling so I think four 4' fixtures would work well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 4 footers installed each has 2 bulbs. They are super bright. I am adding a 3rd one at the front of the garage for engine detailing. They are high end fixtures and I got them from a customer that works for a company that installs commercial lighting in factories and such. Just with the 2 I have now you can see every scratch and swirl underneath the lights. I am very happy with them. They are directional as well.

Post Thanks / Like

What lighting are you using in your residential garage-led-jpg

Here is a picture. They are on a switch and the 3rd one will be going perpendicular to these in the front. If you look close you can see the outlet I put in that is also wired off of the main switch. You just cannot have enough lighting when it comes to detailing. This setup fits the bill. At least for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a one car garage and I use 3 of the Costco led fixtures, it's bright but I'd like more

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any pics, however, I live in a Condo area and since I live in the Communist State of California where every thing is regulated. I can only do so much modifications. Therefore, I use LED lights on their own stands. I do pretty well with a fully lit garage. I have 3 LED Light Stands with 2 Garage lights next to the garage opener system. My garage is well lit and it is pretty cool as the LED lights are cool to the touch. The old Halogen lamps were brighter, however, they generated alot of heat!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast