autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Scam?

Post Thanks / Like

Possible Scam?

I am considering buying a 2005 Mercedes E320 from a private seller in my area. KBB lists the vehicle at 35,000 and this individual is selling it for 25,000. The vehicle is in pristine condition; however, the description indicates the vehicle has a salvage title. I contacted the seller and he informed me the reason the vehicle had a salvage title was because it was an auto theft recovery; however, he stated the vehicle had not been damaged in any way. He then told me the vehicle now has a normal title. He told me I could take the vehicle to a body shop for an inspection to verify the vehicle was not previously damaged. I'm seriously considering purchasing the vehicle; however, it just seems odd that he is willing to let this vehicle go for 10,000 under value and that a salvage title was mentioned. Also, the vehicle only has 24,000 miles and he says it does not come with a warranty. I would think a vehicle like that would still be covered under manufacturer warranty? Does anyone know if salvage titles are issued for auto theft recoveries even if the vehicle is not damaged? If this is the case, is it even possible to have the title changed back to normal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brandon Mila

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can take it to shop but I think know the answer. Nothing is rarely that good.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link to the vehicle on yahoo; just incase I am missing anything.
    2005 Mercedes-Benz E320,--

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, D&D and Bunky for the advice so far. Do you know of anything I can do to ensure this isn't a shady situation. Of course I would get a carfax report, however, do you think talking to a Benz dealership would be of any help. Maybe they would be able to explain the warranty issue. Would I need to talk to the DMV about the title information to find out if the vehicle is legit?

Post Thanks / Like
    If it does have a salvage title the car's value is significately reduced and I don't see how you could get the title cleared of salvage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword View Post
    If it does have a salvage title the car's value is significately reduced and I don't see how you could get the title cleared of salvage.
    Title it in another state. Sucks but people do things like that.

2006 Pontiac GTO 6 Speed
    No longer stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that salvage title was issued when someone bought the title to a car that had been totaled by the insurance company. Even if it hadn't been wrecked it could have been stripped to the point of being totaled (To many $$$ to fix). Check engine VIN against body VIN at body shop. They'll know what's been done to it. I tend to agree with D & D Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if the car was put in salvage, there is no possible way there way no damage in some way. Just because it was stolen does not mean it is an automatic salvage. I know from experience, as I had a truck that was stolen. I did not have a salvage title.

In my opinion, walk away. If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, its a fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milabfocker View Post
    I am considering buying a 2005 Mercedes E320 from a private seller in my area. KBB lists the vehicle at 35,000 and this individual is selling it for 25,000. The vehicle is in pristine condition; however, the description indicates the vehicle has a salvage title. I contacted the seller and he informed me the reason the vehicle had a salvage title was because it was an auto theft recovery; however, he stated the vehicle had not been damaged in any way. He then told me the vehicle now has a normal title. He told me I could take the vehicle to a body shop for an inspection to verify the vehicle was not previously damaged. I'm seriously considering purchasing the vehicle; however, it just seems odd that he is willing to let this vehicle go for 10,000 under value and that a salvage title was mentioned. Also, the vehicle only has 24,000 miles and he says it does not come with a warranty. I would think a vehicle like that would still be covered under manufacturer warranty? Does anyone know if salvage titles are issued for auto theft recoveries even if the vehicle is not damaged? If this is the case, is it even possible to have the title changed back to normal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brandon Mila
    Once vehicle has a salvage title, warranty is void. I personally would not get a Benz with a salvage title. If it's a Honda or Toyota, maybe (if I get a really good deal), but not a luxury brand.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast