autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

snow chain question

I hope some one here can give me advice. I have a Cadillac SRX (all wheel drive) AWD. My question is with AWD do you put the snow tire chains on the front tires or rear tires or both. Car also has Stabilitrak system which turns on when all four tires are not on pavement. So if I put chains on the front only, or the back only is the Stabilitrak going to be on until I take the chains off.
    My Cadillac dealer is hesitating giving me advise. I do not have snow tires just the Goodyear RSA all weather tires. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gary26 View Post
    I hope some one here can give me advice. I have a Cadillac SRX (all wheel drive) AWD. My question is with AWD do you put the snow tire chains on the front tires or rear tires or both. Car also has Stabilitrak system which turns on when all four tires are not on pavement. So if I put chains on the front only, or the back only is the Stabilitrak going to be on until I take the chains off.
    My Cadillac dealer is hesitating giving me advise. I do not have snow tires just the Goodyear RSA all weather tires. Any help would be appreciated.
    Wish I could help you but here in Fla, we do not have to pull out the snow chains to often! Try calling our local tire place, they might lend you some advice, or if you have a machanic you use.
    Otherwise my snow friends please chime in and help Gary out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you live and how much snow do you get? Have you always used chains on other cars? I can't help you with this one but I am interested in hearing the outcome.
    "Some things are better left unsaid."

Post Thanks / Like

gary26

I live in California but I'm traveling Lake Tahoe, Nevada. Snow resort which gets about 8" to 12" of snow a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    If what I have learned is right.. You should use the chains on the rear wheels if you are going up, and on the front wheels when you are going down a hill.. Cause if you have the chains on the rear wheels when you are going down, and brake so hard that the wheels locks, your'e rear end will come out..

But if you have 4 chains that would probarly be the best..
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandis1 View Post
    If what I have learned is right.. You should use the chains on the rear wheels if you are going up, and on the front wheels when you are going down a hill.. Cause if you have the chains on the rear wheels when you are going down, and brake so hard that the wheels locks, your'e rear end will come out..

But if you have 4 chains that would probarly be the best..
    Thanks that makes sense. What's a disadvantage is the has car staggered tire sizes backs are 275/17 and fronts are 235/17.