autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

PRODUCT REVIEW: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating/Perfekt finish paint prep

Hi everyone! Before I start I just want to thank the whole PBMG staff for always trying to create new and innovative products for the detailing market. Also I would like to thank Nick for letting me be a test dummy on this product through it's development!

Being chosen to test out the new Wolfgang Uber ceramic coating and all of the new products that have been released couldn't have come at a better time. I just picked up a new to me 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. One owner, 70k miles white with black leather. Although the car was in nice shape we all know how us detailers are with fresh meat sitting in the driveway!!!

Luckily I didn't have to wait as I just picked up the box of goodies at Autogeek headquarters on my way home one night. Being that I don't currently have a garage to work also posed a bit of a challenge with the outside elements but was a good test to the user friendliness of these products.

I am not going to show the complete detail as I just want to focus on the product review itself. But here is the car before work began.

Some in process shots of the Iron-x going to town on this white paint.

I started early in the morning (7am) so I could get the car washed and decon'd and hopefully get the polishing done by the time the sun peered over the garage!
    After a very aggressive wash and decon I polished the paint with my G21, 5 inch fast correcting pad and the BOSS Fast Correcting Cream. It worked like a charm and got the paint in nice shape in preparation for the coating. By the time I was ready to use the paint prep the sun was just starting to hit the driver side of the car. So I decided to just keep going and see how the products would fair.

Tough to see but here is a 50/50 of the roof.

Before polishing.

After polishing

After polishing it was time to give the paint a good wipe down using the new Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep. See link below.

Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep

Just as stated I found this product to work really well. It also has a very pleasant sent too! Just a few mists on the panel and a wipe off with a clean microfiber was all that's need. Compared to the Blackfire Crystal coat paint prep I found this to be a tiny bit easier to use. Not by much though. Even in the sun it worked nice. Now I wouldn't go using this on a black car in direct sun at high noon but on this white paint it worked very well. Just be mindful of the temperature of the surface.

FInally it was time to use the new Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating. See link below.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

I was supplied with a 15cc syringe and a couple of tips. I didn't receive the instruction card but Nick and I talked in person about how to apply and remove. For my application I used a yellow Lake Country foam applicator. After attaching the blue tip I applied a small bead on each edge of the applicator to ensure that the coating would go on smoothly.

Application was a BREEZE!!! This product goes on effortlessly and a little goes a very long way!!! Being that the driver side was in the sun by this time I waited about 20-30 sec before removal instead of the suggested time. It still wiped of very easy using a supreme 530 microfiber and upon curing I was greeted with a glassy slick surface. Even on this white paint I was stunned to see how it looked afterwards!

Now when Nick told me that this product was safe for glass and wheels too I was very eager to try it on my glass. I waited until the next morning when the glass would be cool to the touch to apply the coating. I prepped the glass using the new Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass polish the day before(Review to come on that). Then applied the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating in the same manner as I did the paint. In fact I even went a little heavy to see if it would effect wipe off. It went on easy and after waiting about 30-45 seconds it wiped off with ease!

Product starting to flash.

After wipe off

After another day I had to take a video of the water beading action! Can't wait to test the durability of this coating.

https://youtu.be/Vv3VB5Iq_kM

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating/Beading Sheeting

This was the first time I have coated a car outside. Now granted it was a white car and it wasn't 100deg outside but non the less I was still impressed at how user friendly it was to apply and remove. In total between the glass and paint I used about 6cc(3-4cc on the paint and 1-2cc on the glass) If there are any questions please feel free to chime in and I will do my best to answer them for everyone!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PRODUCT REVIEW: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating/Perfekt finish paint prep

Thanks for the review Justin. What's the Cure time for it?
    On side note, thought you were moving to CT?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Justin! The video showing the beading is perfect! I can't wait to get my order and put WG Uber Coating on my car!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review SmokinSS.

I have a question that might offend some, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

Is this just repackaged optimum gloss coat?

The tube seems oddly similar. So is the needle and stopper right down to the color. The color of the product is the same. The picture of it flashing is exactly as glosscoat flashes. Your description of its ease of application and removal is the same experience I had with gloss coat.

I can't buy into the increased claims of longevity of this over gloss coat as to why it is different, because it's just a claim. No one can possibly have tested this claim as of yet. PBMG didn't sit on this product for 3 years testing its durability on paint while everyone else was releasing coatings and saturating the market.

Way too many claims have been made of coatings and when they don't live up to expectations, it's user application error as the target of the fault. And there's so many coatings out right now that there is simply no way on earth that all of these are substantially unique formulations. They simply come out too quickly.

15cc of Wolfgang or 20cc of glosscoat for the same price? I see what you did there...

Sorry to sound like such a downer on a new product, but man, this one just kind of shoves it right in my nose as off a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin GOOD !!!!

Told you that you could use my garage

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    Thanks for the review SmokinSS.

I have a question that might offend some, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

Is this just repackaged optimum gloss coat?

The tube seems oddly similar. So is the needle and stopper right down to the color. The color of the product is the same. The picture of it flashing is exactly as glosscoat flashes. Your description of its ease of application and removal is the same experience I had with gloss coat.

I can't buy into the increased claims of longevity of this over gloss coat as to why it is different, because it's just a claim. No one can possibly have tested this claim as of yet. PBMG didn't sit on this product for 3 years testing its durability on paint while everyone else was releasing coatings and saturating the market.

Way too many claims have been made of coatings and when they don't live up to expectations, it's user application error as the target of the fault. And there's so many coatings out right now that there is simply no way on earth that all of these are substantially unique formulations. They simply come out too quickly.

15cc of Wolfgang or 20cc of glosscoat for the same price? I see what you did there...

Sorry to sound like such a downer on a new product, but man, this one just kind of shoves it right in my nose as off a bit.
    I would be lying if I said I didn't expect this question to come up. Up until now, Optimum has been the only company to utilize a syringe for their coating.

First and foremost, this is not a repackaged Optimum Gloss Coat. Not only is the formula different, but the syringe, needle (higher gauge) and cap (white versus black) are not the same as Optimum.

I've been personally involved with this project for a little over 28 months. I guess you could call it my baby.

There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes, and every single product, from a leather cleaner to a state-of-the-art paint coating goes through rigorous testing before we even consider adding it to a product line. Some products make the cut, while others do not. I lead the development for all new products under the PBMG corporate umbrella, and I've given more formulas thumbs down than I can count on 10 hands.

Moving forward, here's just a few lab samples for Uber Ceramic Coating. Notice how 3 out of the 4 are yellow? Even after the formula was 99% finalized, I had to sit on these samples and observe them for a great length of time to make sure nothing abnormal happened. The yellowing is not acceptable, so a component had to be changed. This takes time and patience.

Notice how the bubble is not moving up with gravity? That's because this formula turned rock solid in the syringe 10 months after being opened. Again, not acceptable.

It's easier to assume than it is to trust. Rest assured you're in good hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nick! None of the WG products have ever let me down!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review Justin! The Grand Prix looks great. Congrats.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the response Nick.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation Nick! It is neat to see some of the behind the scenes
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. The Grand Prix looks great. My next tip would be to debadge it sometime in the future. It gives the car a cleaner look. Trust me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast