autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

Technically the Griots should way significantly less than the Rupes according to printed weight figures. About 9oz which you will feel after using it for a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying it's dramatically different. Is there anything dramatically different between all the rotary polishers out there? They all look pretty much the same to me, yet there are several slight nuances between them all that can make a big difference in how it feels in your hands and performs.

These tool are targeted for both intermediate users (those wanting to step up from an 8mm tool) and professionals. I believe this was touched upon in the Griot's videos and at the Griot's release. It's one of the main reason's it ships without the washer installed but still includes it in the tool pouch.

How about I break things down a little and see if this helps compare the differences/improvements. I'll give 1 point to the tool I feel is the best at that feature and 0 for a tie and explain my thoughts for each where I feel it's needed. Obvioulsy a lot of these are subjective

So based on the above:
    Griot's - 13
    Rupes - 3
    Thanks for your honest feedback on comparing the Rupes and the Griot's long throw DA machines!

You rock Chad!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    Technically the Griots should way significantly less than the Rupes according to printed weight figures. About 9oz which you will feel after using it for a few hours.
    Interesting. I'm ordering a scale from Amazon now because all the testers I talked to felt the Griot's was heavier. Not sure anyone actually weighed them though. Wonder if both were weighed with backing plates on? Just seems odd. I'll have the scale by Friday and will update if the above is actually accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I'm ordering a scale from Amazon now because all the testers I talked to felt the Griot's was heavier. Not sure anyone actually weighed them though. Wonder if both were weighed with backing plates on? Just seems odd. I'll have the scale by Friday and will update if the above is actually accurate.
    The Rupes is certainly not light by any means.

The MT300, that tool is pretty light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    The Rupes is certainly not light by any means.

The MT300, that tool is pretty light.
    No doubt! My first thought when I pulled it out of the box!

Specs I'm seeing online list Rupes 21 at 5.5 lbs and G21 and 5.15. I still want to weigh for myself as it just seems odd everyone thought the Griot's were heavier.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt! My first thought when I pulled it out of the box!

Specs I'm seeing online list Rupes 21 at 5.5 lbs and G21 and 5.15. I still want to weigh for myself as it just seems odd everyone thought the Griot's were heavier.

Will be interested in seeing the real weights.

Its also possible the Rupes is more balanced which will give the illusion of it being lighter. Maybe one is more front/back heavy? Of course Im assuming the printed weights are indeed the real weight.

The Rupes (from their website) is listed at 2.6kg = 5.7lb

Post Thanks / Like

Chad, thanks for sharing your hands on experience with the BOSS. Many of the improvements like trigger, power cord, build quality where things I noticed were absent on the Rupes from the get-go in my review:

Another Flex 3401 vs Rupes 21 Comparison

I do appreciate the many improvements in the Boss, especially the heaven sent feathering trigger! I am surprise that despite Griot's efforts to be a unique design that "started from paper", they did not change the 15mm or 21mm throw.

It would of been awesome if the specs were 16mm and 22mm or even 14mm and 20mm. IMO, this would of truely seperated the BOSS from other copycats, otherwise the other 10 machines out there all have this magical "15mm and 21mm throw".
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be interested in seeing the real weights.

Its also possible the Rupes is more balanced which will give the illusion of it being lighter. Maybe one is more front/back heavy? Of course Im assuming the printed weights are indeed the real weight.

The Rupes (from their website) is listed at 2.6kg = 5.7lb
    Having Jeff weigh them for me too, but one user checked and said they are both 6.1lbs and where the balance of the weight is, is different.

I did see the spec for Rupes on the UK site at 2600kg, which is actually 5732lbs, so I took the figures KB had listed on his site.

Post Thanks / Like

Having Jeff weigh them for me too, but one user checked and said they are both 6.1lbs and where the balance of the weight is, is different.

I did see the spec for Rupes on the UK site at 2600kg, which is actually 5732lbs, so I took the figures KB had listed on his site.

So they aren't 5.1lbs as stated or was that 6.1 a typo?

Post Thanks / Like

So they aren't 5.1lbs as stated or was that 6.1 a typo?
    I'm guessing they were weighed with out accessories and backing plates. Pretty common actually, just like motorcycles always list the "dry" weight.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast