autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

I have a:

Rupes 21
    Flex 3401
    GG 6
    Harbor Freight
    PC 7424 XP
    2 PC 7424s
    GG 3"

Maybe I should pass. Hmmmmm.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kecko View Post
    Will the BOSS be practical for a person new to machine polishing?
    I went with the Duetto for a few reasons. One, I'm only a hobbyist, working on my own vehicle (although I have since worked on family cars as well). Two, I liked the "idiot proof" nature of the Rupes system. Three, I thought the compact PC-style chassis was a better choice for my needs/wants.

I'm sure the BOSS system is fine for even a newbie. Practical? It's probably overkill. Heck, my Rupes is overkill. A cheaper polisher would give me great results as well, as proven by the thousands of pros who still use PC's and the like. I just wanted "the good one." So if you want the latest and greatest, and you can afford it, why not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    keep it, it can do what the other DA's can do even if it takes a little more time. everyone should own at least one traditional PC style DA and the GG6 (versatile with different BP and pads) is certainly at the top in that regard. you can always upgrade later...

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    IMO you should keep it. You can equip it with a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads for doing tight/small areas like bumpers etc (you will find you need something smaller for these areas) and use it with the 5 or 6" backing plate for applying LSPs.

I plan to get a Boss (not sure which yet) and keep my GG DA -- you won't be sorry if you keep it but if you send it back and buy a Boss you most likely will be looking for a conventional DA once you do an entire car.
    Points taken! I already have the Lake Country 3.5" & 5" BP's as well as the pads. I'm all set to go. Every damn day off I've had it's rained or I have a commitment so unfortunately I've not been able to get my hands on it. I have a garage but it's no place for detailing so I'm at the mercy of the elements.

I'm a tech guy so I'm always looking to upgrade and since this came out I just want to make sure I'll be happy in the long run....I know upgrades sometimes can be a bad thing but this BOSS system looks really promising. You all bring up excellent points though and I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    I'm sure the BOSS system is fine for even a newbie. Practical? It's probably overkill. Heck, my Rupes is overkill. A cheaper polisher would give me great results as well, as proven by the thousands of pros who still use PC's and the like. I just wanted "the good one." So if you want the latest and greatest, and you can afford it, why not?
    I like to maximize my profit when selling things to buy other things down the road. Makes it easier on the bank account but I am definitely able to afford it. This is just how I go about it. You're right, the BOSS is likely overkill for my needs at the moment but once I really get a handle on what I'm doing I'd like to start doing this on the side for people. Amazing that since I bought all this stuff, I've had at least 10-15 people ask me to detail their cars. They know how OCD I am about keeping my car clean so I am sure they assume once I get this down I will be good at it. Luckily for them though I told them there is no way I will touch there car until I know what I am doing. Of course they get bummed out but I tell them it's basically protection for them but also myself. I also find it funny how lazy people can be. These people have as much or my time on their hands than I do and I tell them I will help them, instead of me doing it all and they almost always decline.

....I will think about what I will do....now back on track!
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

anxiously waiting untill ag gets them next week and they can finally ship it out to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly it comes down to being new technology and from your review, which I enjoyed btw, it looks like it will be a very nice machine. The other reviews are positive as well. I like the upgrades I see on this machine, even if there is some imitation going on. If I sell the GG6 now it is new and I can just get my money back. If I use it then it will be worth less and then I am paying more for the BOSS later on. If the BOSS is user friendly for newbs, which it sounds like it could be then I'd have no issues with purchasing it.

That is for the most part the main question I have, one which you could likely answer for me. Will the BOSS be practical for a person new to machine polishing?
    Thanks!

The BOSS tools will be better in virtually every way...the only trade off is you wouldn't be able to get into all the tight areas you'd be able to with the GG6 and a 3" pad, assuming you bought a 3" plate for it. I so strongly feel anyone buying a large throw tool should still have an 8mm tool for doing 3" work. If you have no plans to get the 3" backing plate for the GG6, then the G15 should be able to do everything your GG6 does, but it will do it faster and a lot smoother.

The tool is just as safe as the GG6 and I watched many inexpericned, first time users try it out at the Griots release last Saturday. Users just need to be aware of the larger throw and use caution around things like door handles and side mirrors.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    anxiously waiting untill ag gets them next week and they can finally ship it out to me!
    I think you'll like the 15" Josue, it's a smooth machine!

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a 3" BP for my GG6 and my car does have some pretty funky angles so I am thinking I will likely keep the GG6. That could change but like you, as well as others have mentioned it is a good idea to have both. I hadnt thought about that.

Thank you.
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    Rasky- when that scale comes in, just weigh em and throw some pics up to put it to rest. Thanks!
    Will do. I'll have to use the LHR15 and G15 though as I gave my LHR21 to my old man.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a 3" BP for my GG6 and my car does have some pretty funky angles so I am thinking I will likely keep the GG6. That could change but like you, as well as others have mentioned it is a good idea to have both. I hadnt thought about that.

Thank you.
    I think keeping the GG6 is the best route, especially having the other backing plates. You can always get the other later down the road but see if you even like polishing first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Will do. I'll have to use the LHR15 and G15 though as I gave my LHR21 to my old man.
    That will be plenty good enough!

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast