autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: *NEW* BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Coating!

If Nick says PM him do it!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will. Thinking that it may have just been a bad batch, I tried three more (two 4oz, one 8oz, never quit eh? ��) since reaching out to Nick.. but they're all the same. Really like the look though so kept on trying.

Post Thanks / Like

I just became another victim of the blackfire coating issues. Traded someone for it in the sample thread to give it a try. Talk about painful to remove. This was a nightmare. I was applying it to the gas tank cover of my brothers harley. So a small area as a sample test. I ended up polishing it off and using gloss coat instead.

I've applied a few coatings and this was by far the most difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Guys,

We're in the process of reformulating Crystal Coat to make it easier to apply. If anyone is not satisfied with their purchase please send me a PM or email. Nick@autogeek.net
    This is a wonderful thing. It definitely needs to be reformulated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milky View Post
    I think I will. Thinking that it may have just been a bad batch, I tried three more (two 4oz, one 8oz, never quit eh? ��) since reaching out to Nick.. but they're all the same. Really like the look though so kept on trying.

The first two bottles I used were GREAT, then I got 3 bad bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

I had similar experiences and eventually tossed it. That said where I did manage to use it before it became difficult has held up very well. A year in and it is looking as good as day one, with proper care. Will surely give the new formula a shot when it is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
    I had similar experiences and eventually tossed it. That said where I did manage to use it before it became difficult has held up very well. A year in and it is looking as good as day one, with proper care. Will surely give the new formula a shot when it is done.
    I have the same thoughts.

I applied completely to one car, and it was a pretty traumatic experience for my first coating. HOWEVER, when I was done it looked amazing! Better than McKee's 37 from what I remember. Also, the car was really neglected by only getting a good wash every two~three months (don't ask...). The neglect lead to what I saw as a total product failure on the roof, hood, and rear hatch after 8 months. After a year, the vertical side surfaces looked as good as when the product was freshly applied and the water sheeting/beading was fantastic! I could see a properly maintained vehicle hitting the two year durability claims.

If the application experience can be improved, I think they will have a winner. While, McKee's is a good coating, I found the Blackfire to look better and provide much better water behavior when comparing fresh applications of both. I have to admit, I do really like the spray application of the McKee's vs dabbing/dripping product onto the applicator.

Maybe when the new version comes out, they will sell 1oz samples. I'd buy one to try out before committing funds to another full bottle of the stuff.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I have the same thoughts.

I applied completely to one car, and it was a pretty traumatic experience for my first coating. HOWEVER, when I was done it looked amazing! Better than McKee's 37 from what I remember. Also, the car was really neglected by only getting a good wash every two~three months (don't ask...). The neglect lead to what I saw as a total product failure on the roof, hood, and rear hatch after 8 months. After a year, the vertical side surfaces looked as good as when the product was freshly applied and the water sheeting/beading was fantastic! I could see a properly maintained vehicle hitting the two year durability claims.

If the application experience can be improved, I think they will have a winner. While, McKee's is a good coating, I found the Blackfire to look better and provide much better water behavior when comparing fresh applications of both. I have to admit, I do really like the spray application of the McKee's vs dabbing/dripping product onto the applicator.

Maybe when the new version comes out, they will sell 1oz samples. I'd buy one to try out before committing funds to another full bottle of the stuff.
    No doubt. The application on my wife's car was smooth as glass. Then I tried it on my car starting with the hood. It was like superglue on my clear coated exposed carbon fiber extractor, that costs 4 grand to replace if damaged. Major panic moment. I ended up using FG 400 to remove it and man what a relief! It has though held up very well on my wife's car which is daily driven. It has held up well enough for me to surely try it again if they can fix the super glue issue. Either that, or they need to sell bottles for single car applications.

Post Thanks / Like

Why didnt anyone try to add any solvent to help it level? Like mineral spirits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    Why didnt anyone try to add any solvent to help it level? Like mineral spirits.
    Because we were all waiting for you to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here my done mixture 6ml mineral and 24 ml coating how do I upload a picture

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast