autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Mistake or ???

2003 Pontiac GrandPrix GTP... Dark Blue Metallic...
    Started with XMT3 on a heavy cut pad... did the whole car...
    Did XMT2 after XMT3 on the hood with medium-cut pad...
    Did XMT360 on the whole car. light cut pad...
    Then OptiSealed the whole car by hand...
    Then Liquid Sovereign Wax with the white finishing pad... The car looks great!

The car was kept in the garage a day after that was all done...
    In the first 24 hours out of the garage, the car was targetted by an un-nice bird that had eaten some black-berry stuff...
    Tried Turtle Wax Ice Detailer, but it didn;t clean up; then tried Optimum No-Rinse QD on the spot, which finished cleaning it but the paint/finish was still etched... Tried XMT360 with a light-cut pad, still there; tried XMT2 with medium cut, still etched; then XMT3 with medium cut, and it's still etched...

So how do I clean this up, what did I do wrong, and what can I do to prevent this in the future (besides a car cover or never leave the garage)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash73

In the first 24 hours out of the garage, the car was targetted by an un-nice bird that had eaten some black-berry stuff...
    Tried Turtle Wax Ice Detailer, but it didn;t clean up; then tried Optimum No-Rinse QD on the spot, which finished cleaning it but the paint/finish was still etched... Tried XMT360 with a light-cut pad, still there; tried XMT2 with medium cut, still etched; then XMT3 with medium cut, and it's still etched...

So how do I clean this up, what did I do wrong, and what can I do to prevent this in the future (besides a car cover or never leave the garage)?
    Repeat XMT 3 over and over again. You need to cut the clear a little more. You should be able to get that out, unless it's to deep. Keep us updated. Pics would help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash73

XMT 3, perhaps even 4. I personally like Duragloss #105, topped with Collinite 476S for bird poop protection. After black-berry it will be strong, but at least this combo will slow down etching through problem.

Good luck.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try using some more XMT 2 with a med-cut pad. be careful when polishing the same spot over and over, you dont have a unlimited amount of clear coat, just some thing to keep in mind, clear coat failure is pretty pricey to fix. for prevention, try parking your car away from trees or lamp posts, so that birds dont linger on top of your car, for the ultimate protection try a synthetic with a layer of high carnub wax on top. some times no matter what you do bird dropping will always happen, but be careful when you wipe droppings off, as there can be seeds and dirt in the pooo, and when you wipe off you cn scratch your paint

Post Thanks / Like
    crash...Liquid Souveran works better using a gray LC pad rather than the white one.
    WWZS - What Would Zinn Say

Teacher by Day: Speed Dreamer at Night