autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - What YOU Should Know

Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating!

Since the word leaked out that I've had Optimum's newest coating - Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - has been on my daily driver for several months now, I began to notice a steady increase in the PM's, emails, and suspicious suit-wearing-gentlemen that follow me at the mall.

Because of this, I deemed it necessary to make a thread dedicated to Optimum Opti-Lens - the much anticipated headlight coating from Dr. David Ghodoussi, the brains behind Optimum Polymer Technologies.

Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - Let There Be Light!

The words "much anticipated" and "Optimum Car Care" go together like "mashed" and "potatoes" - someone says one and you naturally follow with the other. When Dr. David Ghodoussi shuts his phone off and locks himself in his lab, magical things happen.

"Dr. G", as he's better known on the forums, unveiled four all-new products at the SEMA show last year.

• No Rinse Wash & Wax
    • Opti-Lens Headlight Coating
    • Opti-Glass Coating
    • Opti-Glass Clean & Protect Concentrate

No Rinse Wash & Wax has been on sale for well over a month now and we're excited to announce that the other new products - Opti-Lens, Opti-Glass and Opti-Glass Clean & Protect Concentrate - will be available in a few (very short) weeks.

Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - What YOU Should Know

Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating is an advanced, resin-based coating that's designed to provide the utmost in protection for headlights, taillights and other poly-carbonate surfaces. Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating forms a permanent bond to the surface, providing permanent protection against harmful UV rays that would otherwise cause your headlights to fade and discolor, taking away from the overall appearance of your vehicle.

Dr. G sent me a pre-production sample of this revolutionary new product shortly after SEMA and I didn't waste any time putting it to the test. I can report that it's extremely easy to use and after 3+ months, it is holding up very well. The headlights on my daily driver, a 2010 Mazda 3, are very easy to clean; bird droppings, bug splatter, dirt, and road grime are effortlessly removed. I'm known for running my cars into the ground so it will be interesting to see how the coating is doing in 1, 2, and even 3 years.

Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - What YOU Should Know

Subscribed.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nick...

Thanks for sharing the news about Optimum's new products!

Out of curiosity...
    Is any "sanding-prep" required on new/newer 'head-lights'...
    prior to the Opti-Lens application.

Or does all polycarbonate-lens need to be "scuffed"...
    for Opti-Lens to bond?

Reason for asking:
    A 2010 model year vehicle's 'headlights' shouldn't be in:
    Too-bad-of-a-condition, or even yellowed-out.
    (Or at least a person would hope not.)

Thanks.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Reason for asking:
    A 2010 model year vehicle's 'headlights' shouldn't be in:
    Too-bad-of-a-condition, or even yellowed-out.
    (Or at least a person would hope not.)
    Yeah, no offense Nick, but presumably the factory coating on your headlights is intact, and that might be the application for a lot of members, to extend the life of the factory coating. But some of us have cars where the original coating has failed and been sanded off, and that is the real test for Opti-Lens, how much it outperforms Opti-Coat or the Spar method for restoration.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE= But some of us have cars where the original coating has failed and been sanded off, and that is the real test for Opti-Lens, how much it outperforms Opti-Coat or the Spar method for restoration.[/QUOTE]

Would like the manufactures to perform some kind of comparison. Perhaps subjecting new and old headlights to extreme water, heat, and of UV in the lab. 1 set with nothing, another with Opticoat, and the third with Opti Lens.

Otherwise, I don't even have the slightest yellowing till about the 4-5 year mark and wouldn't want use anymore of my trust fund to find out 5 years later that the product was marginal.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

I sanded my brothers headlights and applied opticoat about 2-3 months ago.

They still look as good as the day I applied it. No idea about beading or anything though because he never ever washes his car.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

I was told the formula is different versus Opti-coat and the professional version ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    Would like the manufactures to perform some kind of comparison. Perhaps subjecting new and old headlights to extreme water, heat, and of UV in the lab. 1 set with nothing, another with Opticoat, and the third with Opti Lens.
    I dunno, I trust Dr. G, if he says Opti-Lens is better for headlights than Opti-Coat, I believe him, no need for him to prove it. If you want to know if Opti-Lens is going to be better than the factory UV coating, my guess is no, but my plan would be to put Opti-Lens on top of the factory coating next new lights I get.

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    I sanded my brothers headlights and applied opticoat about 2-3 months ago. They still look as good as the day I applied it.
    IME in about a year they will be yellowing, then a quick 105/205 polish and they will be clear again and you can re-Opti-Coat. I'm hoping the Opti-Lens will go 2 or 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume this coating will last quite a while longer since I have been told it is an acrylic/silicon carbide coating that can only be removed by abrasives.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    I would assume this coating will last quite a while longer since I have been told it is an acrylic/silicon carbide coating that can only be removed by abrasives.
    I imagine that might be a description of Opti-Coat, as well. I assume it will last quite a while longer because that is what Dr. G designed it to do, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in making a different coating product for lenses.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast