autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - What YOU Should Know

Their website says the surface needs to be polished out, so it will be the same prep as OC. Perfect for new lens additional protection.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

The amount that they give you seems very high given the amount of opti-coat we get... Am I to assume this is for multiple cars? If so, how many lights can they do? (including the 2 front and 2 rear lights) And same question for opti-glass as well!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Folks, here are some answers from Dr. G about opti-lens:

1. Is 10ml sized for one car pair of headlights?
    A: 10 ml is enough for 5-10 sets of headlight depending on how thick you apply it.

2. Is there a shelf life to the product, i.e does it expire?
    A: Opti-Lens has an indefinite shelf life as long as it is not exposed to moisture.

3. How much durability can be expected with a single application of Opti-Lens to an outdoor vehicle daily driver, brand new, stock/OEM lens?
    A: Opti-Lens bonds permanently to lens and can only be removed by polishing.

4. If the main goal is to prevent the yellowing from ever occuring, would you layer the product, or re-apply every x months?
    A: Some headlights are very prone to yellowing. You can layer Opti-Lens Coating to get a thicker film build and greater UV protection in those cases.

5. Can a client tell that opti-lens is on the car, or not - how does one tell - by feel, look, or beading for instance? And can one discern that opti-lens is degrading?
    A. You can tell by the feel, the ease of cleaning, and clarity of the lens over time.

6. Is it optically clear?
    A: Yes

7. Does IPA remove Opti-Lens? If I had to remove Opti-Lens what chemical product would do it?
    A: IPA does not remove this coating. In order to remove Opti-Lens Coating, you would need to use a paint removers or by abrasion.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish is the minimum prep. Yes you can layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    If you already have Opti-Coat 2.0 on a lens, does it need to be removed? Or just a light polish? As far as Opti-Lens layering, is there a window for that? It has been mentioned that OC 2.0 has a rather long curing time (months) and that it can only be layered before it is fully cured. So is there some sort of min/max time after Opti-Lens application that the layering must occur?

I'm not asking this stuff to be a jerk, I'm thinking of real world. I have a set of headlights that I sanded the failed factory coating off of. I applied Opti-Coat 2.0, and after 9-12 months they start to yellow. Last time this happened I applied M105/205 and recoated. So maybe Opti-Lens is going to last 2-3 times that long...I would want to reapply before the yellowing occurs, after 2 years can I do a light polish and recoat? Or does it have to be layered/recoated before it is fully cured? Which means you'd have to go back over it pretty soon after the original application.

I'm also guessing you will give us your standard scolding about that these products are permanent and layering isn't doing much for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miltonlin View Post
    Folks, here are some answers from Dr. G about opti-lens:

1. Is 10ml sized for one car pair of headlights?
    A: 10 ml is enough for 5-10 sets of headlight depending on how thick you apply it.

2. Is there a shelf life to the product, i.e does it expire?
    A: Opti-Lens has an indefinite shelf life as long as it is not exposed to moisture.

3. How much durability can be expected with a single application of Opti-Lens to an outdoor vehicle daily driver, brand new, stock/OEM lens?
    A: Opti-Lens bonds permanently to lens and can only be removed by polishing.

4. If the main goal is to prevent the yellowing from ever occuring, would you layer the product, or re-apply every x months?
    A: Some headlights are very prone to yellowing. You can layer Opti-Lens Coating to get a thicker film build and greater UV protection in those cases.

5. Can a client tell that opti-lens is on the car, or not - how does one tell - by feel, look, or beading for instance? And can one discern that opti-lens is degrading?
    A. You can tell by the feel, the ease of cleaning, and clarity of the lens over time.

6. Is it optically clear?
    A: Yes

7. Does IPA remove Opti-Lens? If I had to remove Opti-Lens what chemical product would do it?
    A: IPA does not remove this coating. In order to remove Opti-Lens Coating, you would need to use a paint removers or by abrasion.

Thank you!
    Hi miltonlin......to AGO.

The way I look at it:
    The more 'Opti-Lens-information' the better...BUT:

If I may so ask...

-From whence does the above Opti-Lens information come from.

-Are you a "credentialed", or an "accredited" spokesperson for Optimum Polymer Technologies.
    (Emphasis on quotation marks)

Thanks.

Thanks for the information Chris!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The responses came from Dr. G e-mail to me. I originally posed the questions in optimum forum but did not get a response. Then in e-mailing optimum, I got e-mail response.

Even though I have tried and still use many Optimum products, I'm in no way affiliated with Optimum. Little frustrating by the lack of information out there for Opti-Lens as usually a google search will do, but there really isn't much information out probably due to the newness. I was delighted to share this info in a thread as I received it.

Take it for what it is of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recommend polishing even if there is no discoloration? Info so, any specific polish recommended?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can this be applied to epoxy resins ? The same found on carbon fiber. Trying to avoid uV damage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miltonlin View Post
    The responses came from Dr. G e-mail to me. I originally posed the questions in optimum forum but did not get a response. Then in e-mailing optimum, I got e-mail response.

Even though I have tried and still use many Optimum products, I'm in no way affiliated with Optimum. Little frustrating by the lack of information out there for Opti-Lens as usually a google search will do, but there really isn't much information out probably due to the newness. I was delighted to share this info in a thread as I received it.

Take it for what it is of course.
    I'm sorry you didn't get a timely reply on the forum. There is a full description and directions in the store section. Those replies are from Dr. G (the chemist who makes the coatings and CEO of OPT)...so they are dead on. Thanks for sharing the info here. It will be more readily available as time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by mets2010 View Post
    Do you recommend polishing even if there is no discoloration? Info so, any specific polish recommended?
    Yes...if only to microscuff and clean the surface in preparation for the coating. the better your prep, the better your results!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast