autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - What YOU Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Oh, and fwiw, the 10cc applicator should be enough for 5 to 10 pairs of headlights. (According to Optimum)
    And you can do exterior trim with the Opti Lens.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I wouldn't .... More if a Opti-Coat thing there. Although OL will work on plastic (at least the lenses it does).

I like other trim sealers there though. Stuff like PERL, 303 (not so much of a sealant though), WG Trim Sealant, OTTGP and/or 4Star Trim Sealant. Even the Griot's trim stiff is OK on some trim.

Several WG vinyl and rubber, plus trim type products that are all good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lim3 View Post
    Can this be applied to epoxy resins ? The same found on carbon fiber. Trying to avoid uV damage
    Did we ever get an answer to this? I will most likely be clear coating my carbon fiber then applying some sort of sealant after. I interested in protecting my carbon fiber from yellowing and want the extra UV protection that this formulation seems to provide. I assume this would help the yellowing better than the normal formulation of Opti Coat.

Also can this go under clearbra without problems? I think normal Opti-coat can be applied under clearbra.

Lastly can you top clearbra up with this coating? Seems like it would both work since they are both plastics? If you couldn't tell I really paraniod about my carbon fiber yellowing. I have a carbon roof coming in and want to protect it as best as possible.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Chris Thomas on Optimum Forum did say this.

He says it is a great trim coating, and when asked if one should use this over OC 2.0 for trim he said, "Yes the added acrylic makes it thicker (covers porous surface better) and has a restorative effect (darkens and glosses)."

Might be nice to try because at least for me, OC 2.0 did not have a darkening effect on trim like DLUX does.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    I wouldn't .... More if a Opti-Coat thing there. Although OL will work on plastic (at least the lenses it does).

I like other trim sealers there though. Stuff like PERL, 303 (not so much of a sealant though), WG Trim Sealant, OTTGP and/or 4Star Trim Sealant. Even the Griot's trim stiff is OK on some trim.

Several WG vinyl and rubber, plus trim type products that are all good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post

He says it is a great trim coating, and when asked if one should use this over OC 2.0 for trim he said, "Yes the added acrylic makes it thicker (covers porous surface better) and has a restorative effect (darkens and glosses)."

Might be nice to try because at least for me, OC 2.0 did not have a darkening effect on trim like DLUX does.
    Time will tell.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post

Seems I remember that statement too. That's one reason I'd likely not use it on trim, (at least trim that is in good shape). Just don't want the darkening effect. Might try it on some older trim though, even some harder plastics like the steps on top of a bumper, or maybe some running boards. Would get REALLY expensive though on a running board @ $59.99 for 10cc. (Sure, the dealer pack @ 40cc is much more cost efficient, but it's also much more money.)

I have a local shop that recommends me for headlight restoration all the time. I'm thinking of going exclusively with OL and advertising it as a selling point. Cost per application wouldn't be but about $3~ $5 tops (with thick coats, using the dealer pricing).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto19 View Post
    Did we ever get an answer to this? I will most likely be clear coating my carbon fiber then applying some sort of sealant after. I interested in protecting my carbon fiber from yellowing and want the extra UV protection that this formulation seems to provide. I assume this would help the yellowing better than the normal formulation of Opti Coat.

Also can this go under clearbra without problems? I think normal Opti-coat can be applied under clearbra.

Lastly can you top clearbra up with this coating? Seems like it would both work since they are both plastics? If you couldn't tell I really paraniod about my carbon fiber yellowing. I have a carbon roof coming in and want to protect it as best as possible.

Thanks!

Anyone? Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Setec is right, it's just to make sure the surface is clean and smooth so the bond will be with the surface and thus, permanent. Neither Polish II, Hyper Polish, nor Finish will marr. As long as your not using wool or a dirty pad
    I am repainting my Corvette & installing a Lemans headlight kit which has a new lens assembly. The body shop inspected the lens and said it had already been clear-coated (they were going to spray clear-coat if it hadn't been.) My plan is to wait about 30 days and apply Opti-coat 2.0, and after reading the instructions and watching the videos, was going to apply Opti-coat to the new headlight lenses (especially since there is clear-coat on them.) What's the recommendation now that Opti-Lens is out? Use it instead of Opti-Coat? In addition (on top of) Opti-Coat. Polish off the Clear-Coat and apply Opti-Lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike2977 View Post
    What's the recommendation now that Opti-Lens is out? Use it instead of Opti-Coat? In addition (on top of) Opti-Coat. Polish off the Clear-Coat and apply Opti-Lens?
    Not to speak for Chris, but put the Opti-Lens, not Opti-Coat, over the factory coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Not to speak for Chris, but put the Opti-Lens, not Opti-Coat, over the factory coating.
    It's still a bit confusing. As I understand it the formula of Opti-Lens is designed to bond specifically with the materials of the lens, not the clear-coat that may be over it. Thus my question.

I have ordered the Opti-Lens, but now wonder what preparation to use given that I've been advised that there is clear-coat over the material of the lens? Just clean with 15% IsoAl, or polish off the clear-coat to the base material?

Which sort of takes me full circle to my original question. If Opti-Coat is designed to bond with clear-coat, which would be the better protection for the lens as it now exists from the vendor?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast