autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - What YOU Should Know

Setec is right, it's just to make sure the surface is clean and smooth so the bond will be with the surface and thus, permanent. Neither Polish II, Hyper Polish, nor Finish will marr. As long as your not using wool or a dirty pad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver_ben3 View Post
    GRrrr... So, I did my headlights and it decided to rain. I know, I know. "Didn't I know it was going to rain?"

After reading up on the Optimum forum... found out it's okay to get wet an hour after application. (Not lucky, in my case...)
    I've done a few cars at dealers, where it rained just a few minutes after coating. When I checked back on them the next week, they all looked fine. Won't hurt to add another coat either way.

On the other question, I will second/third the response on the polish.... it won't haze the lens and it's only to get a clean surface. On a new car, you could just do a thorough wash and wipe down with IPA, prep-all, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

New question here... does opit-lens have the same glossy shiny effect that a clear coat would once it is applied to the lens?

In other words, clear lacquer really makes a headlight really pop and enhances the clarity of the lens. Does opti-coat provide then same appearance after being applied?>
    We are Central Florida's "First Class" Detailing Service.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrubs147 View Post
    New question here... does opit-lens have the same glossy shiny effect that a clear coat would once it is applied to the lens?

In other words, clear lacquer really makes a headlight really pop and enhances the clarity of the lens. Does opti-coat provide then same appearance after being applied?>

I would say yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrubs147 View Post

No, it's clear and not glossy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I would say yes.

It would be better if you had a before picture to help understand how opti-lens performs.
    We are Central Florida's "First Class" Detailing Service.

Post Thanks / Like

Just did 2 sets of headlights with OL and it might have gotten just a tad glossier, but barely noticeable. Just like paint, it's all in the prep work. OL will not hide scratches or sanding marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Now how does this stack up to the leading meguiars headlight leans protector I would asume it last's longer do to the fact that its a coating or no? If anyone here has ever tried the meguiars one please post your overall thought on it. from my experience with it, it works quite well and last a good long wile.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking at the description from Meguairs, IMO you can tell it's not going to last: Applying this product every time you wax your car ensures that your headlights look new and bright for a longer period of time. That's a pretty weak claim for this type of product. Maybe they are just being more conservative or honest than is typical?

I don't consider it a "coating" in the sense normally used in HLR, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's no better than any basic wax that has some UV protection... or other protectants like 303, etc.

Opti-lens is a true coating that is permanent, at least relative to waxes, sealants, and protectants like 303, megs, etc. As one of my dealers pointed out, the p word is a big word. And considering that factory coatings are failing sometimes after just 2-3 years from date of mfg.... that's a good point.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the deta View Post
    Now how does this stack up to the leading meguiars headlight leans protector I would asume it last's longer do to the fact that its a coating or no? If anyone here has ever tried the meguiars one please post your overall thought on it. from my experience with it, it works quite well and last a good long wile.
    "The leading Meguiar's headlight leans protector" doesn't exist.

Meguiar's has a headlight restoration kit with a hand buffer, 2 sanding discs, some plastic polish, plastic sealer (which really isn't a sealer at all) and a drill attachment for buffing, are you talking about that one?

Meguiar's also has a professional kit that also includes 4" pads for doing spot repair, plus a LOT of sanding discs, everything from 500 grit to 3000 grit and it also includes a small bottle of M105 and M205. Is this the one you are talking about?

I only ask because the first one you can buy at your local parts store for $30, and if you put enough time in it you can get decent results. But unless you break out a DA buffer you're really fighting with yourself when using it because it's just a hand sanding pad and a synthetic wool drill buffer. This one I bought years ago and used it on a set of headlights that were in decent shape to bring them back to life, but if they have failed (in that the UV coating has become hazed and foggy) you'll need more.

The second kit I also have, (normal retail $299 but AG has it on sale now for $125 and it's a KILLER DEAL!) You can do any lights you might run across with this one and it'll finish them out to a fantastic level.

However... once they are finished you MUST put some sort of coating on the lens. The stuff that Meguiar's offers isn't a coating, and it really isn't a permanent sealant either. It's more of a lotion than anything. Think of it as suntan lotion for your headlights. Unless you reapply it with every washing the lights will fade again fairly quickly.

Remember, when you do a (major) headlight restoration it's usually because the OEM coating has failed. Once it's in that condition the only thing that will help is to totally sand and remove that coating, getting back to the polycarbonate headlight itself. Thing is, now, although it's nice and clean, clear, and shiny, it has NO protection from UV damage.

This is where Opti-Lens is different than the "lotion". It provides a permanent coating and will protect your newly restored headlights from fading and further UV damage. Plus for even greater protection it can be "layered". It will not wash off or will not wipe off. Oh, and fwiw, the 10cc applicator should be enough for 5 to 10 pairs of headlights. (According to Optimum)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast