autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating - What YOU Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    I'm sorry you didn't get a timely reply on the forum. There is a full description and directions in the store section. Those replies are from Dr. G (the chemist who makes the coatings and CEO of OPT)...so they are dead on. Thanks for sharing the info here. It will be more readily available as time passes.

Yes...if only to microscuff and clean the surface in preparation for the coating. the better your prep, the better your results!
    What prep needs to done on a new car? Do you even recommend applying on a new car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    I polish my headlights with every detail, just part of the process. They look very good and clear with the lights off. However when the lights are on you can see what looks like a somewhat very light sandblasted look. Could I use the OOLHC to fill and hide this? What I mean is apply, and wet sand as many times as it takes to remove or hide these defects? Much like applying a clear coat finish to paint I suspect.
    Did I miss the answer to my question?

Post Thanks / Like

POPPAJ
    If the "sandblasted look" is what it sounds like... light road rash on the surface... then I would say the coating will help fill/hide it. But if the pitting is bad, don't expect miracles... it's not what it's designed to do and typically I would say the coating doesn't do much to hide defects or enhance the finish. Having said that, it does help, especially if it's layed on thick or multiple coats.

I don't ever inspect my work with lights on, though... so keep that in mind. Who stares at headlights when they are on?

EDIT:
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I just noticed it sounds like you are asking about applying the coating and THEN wetsanding it?
    If you are going to remove the defects, you would wetsand the lens and compound/polish it out clear. Then apply the coating as a final step. My initial reply was referring to how the coating might help without any sanding/restoration process.
    Last edited by mr.fusion; 04-08-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

would you be able to apply this to the interior? if not, will there be a interior coating in the future?

as we know the interior plastic panels (i.e. dash) are also bombarded with UV radiation, though not as intensely with today's windshields that have some UV protection but they do become brittle over time from this and the intense heat when parked in the sun for extended periods. would this prevent or slow the degradation process?

i've already OC'd my lenses and contemplating whether to get 303 protectant or if possible, OL instead and use a diluted APC or ONR to wipe clean. though if it adds gloss, as a lens coating may, i'll steer away since i'm not a fan of glossy interiors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    would you be able to apply this to the interior? if not, will there be a interior coating in the future?

as we know the interior plastic panels (i.e. dash) are also bombarded with UV radiation, though not as intensely with today's windshields that have some UV protection but they do become brittle over time from this and the intense heat when parked in the sun for extended periods. would this prevent or slow the degradation process?

i've already OC'd my lenses and contemplating whether to get 303 protectant or if possible, OL instead and use a diluted APC or ONR to wipe clean. though if it adds gloss, as a lens coating may, i'll steer away since i'm not a fan of glossy interiors.

Ultima Interior Gaurd is the only "interior" coating I know of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Ultima Interior Gaurd is the only "interior" coating I know of.
    Let's not forget Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by no_mulligan View Post
    What prep needs to done on a new car? Do you even recommend applying on a new car?
    A new car is the best application for any coating. A optimum Finish or Polish II is the minimum prep.

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    Did I miss the answer to my question?
    Opti-Lens does not fill nor hide; It is pure protection. Prep to your satisfaction before applying. One thing worth noting is that Opti-Lens will prevent yellowing, oxidation, and remain hydrophobic on the "outside" of the lens. Any wear or damage to the inside would still remain.

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post

Opti-Lens can be applied to plastic trim with very good restorative results, but would be too glossy for interior trim (arguably). We currently offer Opti-Guard Leather/Vinyl to professionals for interior applications. It offers protection from contact and transfer with added muting agents to maintain a factory clean appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

GRrrr... So, I did my headlights and it decided to rain. I know, I know. "Didn't I know it was going to rain?"

After reading up on the Optimum forum... found out it's okay to get wet an hour after application. (Not lucky, in my case...)

Also, got an answer to another of my questions.
    It can be layered, but is recommended to wait a couple of days.

I Really wish this was listed on the directions or descriptions...

Guess I'll be redoing this in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    A new car is the best application for any coating. A optimum Finish or Polish II is the minimum prep.
    Should this be done by hand or machine? Would the headlights look hazed after using Optimum Finish Polish on them?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post
    Should this be done by hand or machine? Is this done to "scuff up" the surface or just remove anything that would prevent bonding? Finally would the headlights look hazed after using Optimum Finish Polish on them?
    I hope Chris doesn't mind me answering for him, but it's not to scuff, just to get a clean surface for bonding. And I hope OFP doesn't leave hazing, why would it? Machine would be easier, but I don't see why you couldn't do it by hand.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast