autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing how some posts just come up just prior to a question I had. Since it's geting near Spring I was again thinking what to buy a PC or a Festool. Reason this came up was I watched a Pinnacle video and the guy was getting tired, if not borred using it. I asssume he was just more used to having a rotary but had to create the video for the PC. My question is simple and has nothing to do with the best or which is more expensive. Simply asked.....(1)does the Festool enable you to remove swirls at a faster rate than a PC (2)without the issue of burning the paint like a rotary? Just based upon the video it apppears a PC would take 2 days to do a whole car, much less a truck.

Thanks,
    Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan
    .... Simply asked.....(1)does the Festool enable you to remove swirls at a faster rate than a PC (2)without the issue of burning the paint like a rotary? Just based upon the video it apppears a PC would take 2 days to do a whole car, much less a truck.

Thanks,
    Howard
    I've been using the Festool for several months on dozens of BMW's and can answer the questions:

1. The Festool will remove swirls at a faster rate than a pc. If you have a particular area that needs a rotary, flip a switch and work that area. Or, use the tool in rotary mode for the entire vehicle to do correction, then use it in random orbit to apply your wax.
    2. Can you burn paint with a Festool? You can (especially plastic pieces like a mirror housing)...but you "really" have to work at it. A rotary is very unforgiving on those pieces, where the Festool will typically work away without harming the paint.

It's a very powerful tool, motor-wise, compared to the Porter-Cable unit. I could bog down a P-C easily, where the Rotex would just keep on going.

In the end, it's an expensive investment. If you're doing detailing for business or a paid hobby, it's probably the best all around tool you can have. If you're an occasional detailer, it's probably too costly to give you a decent return.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach
    I've been using the Festool for several months on dozens of BMW's and can answer the questions:

1. The Festool will remove swirls at a faster rate than a pc. If you have a particular area that needs a rotary, flip a switch and work that area. Or, use the tool in rotary mode for the entire vehicle to do correction, then use it in random orbit to apply your wax.
    2. Can you burn paint with a Festool? You can (especially plastic pieces like a mirror housing)...but you "really" have to work at it. A rotary is very unforgiving on those pieces, where the Festool will typically work away without harming the paint.

It's a very powerful tool, motor-wise, compared to the Porter-Cable unit. I could bog down a P-C easily, where the Rotex would just keep on going.

In the end, it's an expensive investment. If you're doing detailing for business or a paid hobby, it's probably the best all around tool you can have. If you're an occasional detailer, it's probably too costly to give you a decent return.

Toto
    nice review Toto......just what everyone was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a Rotex 150 on and off for about 2 years. I also have a Festool ETS150 ROS, Metabo rotary and used to have a PC.

These days the Rotex is my go to machine, as Toto said it can be used to do paint correction work, although it is a slower process than a rotary. It is also a lot safer than a rotary, thats the trade off I guess.

I want to try the Makita BO6040 and to see it is as good as the Rotex but I cant justify buying one when I have everything else and I am not even a detailer !!

HTH.

Cheers
    Dave.
    Last edited by Dave R32; 03-12-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't this is a similar tool?? Anyone have it? Orbital and Rotary in one.

Makita BO6040 Polisher

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this thread is getting REALLY interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    So who can shed some light on the Makita BO6040 ?????????????
    Can it hold a candle to the Festool ??????????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehuth1
    Isn't this is a similar tool?? Anyone have it? Orbital and Rotary in one.

Makita BO6040 Polisher

Yes in theory the Makita and Rotex 150 are the principle of forced eccentric rotation. See link for Festool animation, you need to click the green arrow to move onto the next screen.

http://www.festool.com.au/internet/i...h/rotex_gb.swf

I watched a guy using a BO6040 at a display booth when I visited NACE a couple of years ago, it looked the goods for sure, but as I havent actually used one I cant compare it with the Festool.

In Australia the BO6040 is about $570 (USD440.00) where as the Festool is over $800(USD640.00) so if the Makita is up to the task it would be a great machine to have.

Cheers
    Dave.
    Last edited by Dave R32; 03-12-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave any chance you will be stocking the makita in the near future.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davet
    Dave any chance you will be stocking the makita in the near future.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I am working on it, although I really want to try one before I start selling them.

Cheers
    Dave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12