autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Developing New Polishes...Input from AGO

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    i dont know if there is already a polish out there that can change in appeareance to signal that the polish is indeed broke down with diminishing abrasives-say a blue polish that would turn white,thus leaving out any guess on are part- i know it sounds stupid but you being a chemist would know if thats possible-that could be vary marketable also-something that the operator would be able to see outside off what we already know to look for when a polish is broken down
    That would be good. It also would set your product apart which is very important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    Im still having a hard time following you

When you say polish do you mean a product with swirl removing capabilities?

Sorry but can you break your process down a little more and maybe tell us what products you use? Im curious because it seems a little counterproductive to me but I could be reading it wrong. And I am just really curious.
    Sorry for getting off topic Jon

I am an old school 3M girl....for swirl removal...I use liquid ebony (obviously not 3M)and a wool bonnet.....works fantastic on the dark colors.....removes the damage first....then I use Imperial hand glaze sometimes with wool sometimes with foam...for that baby's butt finish....then hard wax carnuba....than a "natural" polish with tree oils....then my finishing teflon minute detailer.....whaaalah....fini

insight on just how "old school" I am.....my grandfather (President of the URA in the 30's and 40's) would use cornstarch and lamp oil for bug removal and metal polishing----and I still use that today----works killer on aluminum and chrome.....

Been checking out more "modern" product lines recently though...hence, why I joined this site...and have been giving products here the once over....have found products I would love to give a whirl.....so to speak....

for the local Donut Derelics car club---I would custom mix a kinda all in one car polish for maintanence purposes on a new "complete"detail....would put it in a ketchup squirt bottle and sell it out the door for $75.00.....sold like crazy.....good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    i dont know if there is already a polish out there that can change in appeareance to signal that the polish is indeed broke down with diminishing abrasives-say a blue polish that would turn white,thus leaving out any guess on are part- i know it sounds stupid but you being a chemist would know if thats possible-that could be vary marketable also-something that the operator would be able to see outside off what we already know to look for when a polish is broken down
    +1. I do like the color change idea. One of the things I like about the WG line is the way it goes from mostly opaque to kinda clear once it's broken down. Took me a bit to catch on though. A distinct color change would be very cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I wont a product like M105 the cut and finishes good but that does not dust and has a longer work period. I would like a product that cuts like M205 but finishes like 85rd or WG finishing Glaze.

I would love a 2 product system like M105/M205 but a nicer finish at the end, more work time, less dust
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see a 2 in 1 swirl remover/cleaner that doesn't have any fillers, wax or sealant in it. If possible, formulate your products so that they won't separate when frozen. It'll allow us living in northern climates to leave everything outside in the garage instead of having to bring them inside for the winter.
    My Versa probably looks better than yours

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the input so far. The color change idea is going to be difficult to achieve because that would indicate a chemical reaction has occurred and I definitely don't want reactions to occur during storage or just from sitting outside in the sun for a few hours.

As far as working time and dusting issues with non-diminishing abrasives, those are fixable and definitely achievable. I would definitely like to produce a 1-2 punch type of system that gives great results and doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out how to use correctly. User friendliness and effectiveness will be my main goals, time saving and durability to the environment will be secondary, and tertiary will be developing a synergistic system from compound to polish and sealant.

The development process will likely take a few months, followed by some patents, and eventually onto marketing and sales. I have some ideas already on how to make this work, but the ideas are not conventional and will take some refining to perfect. I hope to have some samples sent out within the next month for feedback from a handful of the AGO members. From there, I will take note of strengths and weaknesses and refine the products until the desired result is found.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread. Very exciting. You will do well! I can't wait to try it out!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to test your products so keep me in mind I have 2 nice black SUVs in the drive way swirled out bad and one dark gray carolla type S lol
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang polishes.. This polish actually enhances and preserves your vehicle’s paint surface by deep cleaning to remove embedded dirt and old wax, without abrasives or harsh chemicals.
    Auto Services at uptownautoservice.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is a particularly interesting thread that I am now a subscriber of...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast