autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question New Waterless Washes vs. QDs?

Looks like the waterless washes (in concentrate form) offered by Optimum and Ultima are cheaper* than a typical QD (Ultima's costs a mere 59 cents to make 22 oz. with the 16 oz. conc.) and they provide a very similar function....with the waterless wash providing better cleaning while still leaving some protection and gloss.

*Optimum's QD and waterless wash cost the same ($2.75 to make 22 oz. using the 32 oz. conc.)

Do you really need a QD?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Waterless Washes vs. QDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Waxmax View Post
    Looks like the waterless washes (in concentrate form) offered by Optimum and Ultima are cheaper* than a typical QD (Ultima's costs a mere 59 cents to make 22 oz. with the 16 oz. conc.) and they provide a very similar function....with the waterless wash providing better cleaning while still leaving some protection and gloss.

*Optimum's QD and waterless wash cost the same ($2.75 to make 22 oz. using the 32 oz. conc.)

Do you really need a QD?
    I have more & more customers requesting the Waterless Wash Service from me these days and because of this I have found that my bias' toward the WW are disappearing. As you mentioned; easy to use, glossy finish left behind & environmentally safe.

QD is mainly used for "after wash spritzing", door jambs & sometimes during the final wipe down. Guess it comes down to preference of the user more than anything.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to hear more on this subject too. Detail Sprays require a lot more "work"....you can't just WOWO. I think the only advantage they have over waterless wash...is the "gloss/protection" they offer. You can't say Detail Sprays have more lubrication...and they certainly require more work, and cost more...so yeah....why are detail sprays so popular, considering how far technology has brought the waterless wash products?

Post Thanks / Like

QD sprays have been around for years whereas the waterless wash systems are still somewhat new. There will always be a use for the QD with the average car owner/enthusiast though. The waterless products were created due to all of the legislation regarding water reclamation, waste and restrictions ......... basically environmentally friendly wins.

QD is a great "just before the show" or "final wipe down" go to product. WW will become more of a staple to those owners who have the insight to use it as well as the business owners who are basically forced to use it to some extent.

There's a market for both.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Post Thanks / Like

The only waterless wash I know of that can be used in place of a QD is Optimum Opti-clean. It has better lubrication than any QD AND it leaves a polymer coating behind for gloss and protection. A lot of other WW just clean(DP, PB, etc..) without adding any gloss or protection.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have a lot of QD's but I no longer use any of them when there is any dust or anything on the car. Why? The introduction of Optimum OC and now Ultima WW. For me OOC and UWW are great. I've been using OOC to remove fresh bugs after a drive and now that I have the UWW I'll be using that for this purpose as well.
    1/2 oz of UWW concentrate makes 22 oz. of product.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    The only waterless wash I know of that can be used in place of a QD is Optimum Opti-clean. It has better lubrication than any QD AND it leaves a polymer coating behind for gloss and protection. A lot of other WW just clean(DP, PB, etc..) without adding any gloss or protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Well, I have a lot of QD's but I no longer use any of them when there is any dust or anything on the car. Why? The introduction of Optimum OC and now Ultima WW. For me OOC and UWW are great. I've been using OOC to remove fresh bugs after a drive and now that I have the UWW I'll be using that for this purpose as well.
    1/2 oz of UWW concentrate makes 22 oz. of product.
    I agree with both of you. I've only had my Opti-Clean for a few weeks and I'm already a very big fan.

The last two times I washed my car with ONR, instead of pre-soaking with ONR like I normally do (I spray ONR on the surface with a spray bottle prior to washing with the mitt) I used Opti-Clean as the pre-soak. I noticed a definite improvement in the looks department (made the paint deeper), and it also seemed to dry easier for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I'm just an enthusiast detailer, but when I figured Ultima Waterless Wash (UWW) was only 59 cents to make a 22oz. mix, I thought wow, this has got to be a savings for the pro detailers for sure...

And, once Ultima comes out with larger size concentrate, that price will drop further. Right now Ultima is far more expensive than Optimum for rinseless washes. So, UWW for wipedowns and ONR for rinseless washes.

Also, the fact UWW is polycharged and leaves protection and gloss makes it "QD-like". Optimum's Opti-clean is also a good choice, but more expensive. I have already found myself using less and less QD.

Post Thanks / Like

And, once Ultima comes out with larger size concentrate, that price will drop further.
    Wow, don't hold your breath on that one. The regular Ultima wash isn't available in bulk and it's been out for years.

I have already found myself using less and less QD.
    You have no idea how much QD I have to use up....

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain...I too have way more QDs than I need (but that's my own fault)....and maybe you will be right about Ultima not offering larger sized concentrate, but unless they do they won't be competitive in the rinseless wash area. We'll see. I am very happy with the ONRW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast