autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads now at Autogeek!

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads now at Autogeek!

Surbuf R Series 4 Inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack
    Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack
    Surbuf R Series 6.5 Inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack

We were shooting a video on how to Machine Damp Sand using Meguiar's Unigrit #3000 Foam Finishing Discs and then how to remove your sanding marks using a rotary buffer and took a moment to show that if you choose, you can also use a DA Polisher with Surbuf MicroFinger buffing Pads to remove shallow sanding marks like those left by the #3000 Unigrit Foam Finishing Discs and a compound.

Just to note, for years now, the question about whether the you can use a DA Polisher, like the Porter Cable 7424XP, the Meguiar's G110v2 or the Griot's Garage ROP to remove sanding marks out of modern clear coat paint has been a hot topic.

While there are a number of factors involved that affect a "Yes" or "No" answer, generally speaking you can remove light or shallow sanding marks out of clear coat finished using a DA Style Polisher with their Free Rotating Spindle Assemblies for drive mechanisms, you just need to use the right pads, products and techniques. Top Coat Hardness is a huge factor when it comes to determining whether or not a DA Style Polisher can remove sanding marks and this will vary between cars.

While the most effective way is still by using a direct drive, rotary buffer with a cutting pad and a compound, especially if you sanding down an entire car, we demonstrated using the Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads with a SMAT product like M105 you can easily remove a controlled sanding mark pattern, in this example, #3000 Unigrit Foam Finishing Papers by Meguiar's were used. Autogeek will have the new Unigrit Foam Finishing Discs very soon. Stay tuned for an upcoming article on this topic.

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads

This is our project car. This is a restored and mild hotrod 1969 El Camino with a custom basecoat/clearcoat finish. The fit and finish of the panels is excellent and the paint application came out very nice, there are a few leftover sanding marks in the paint and rotary buffer swirls including arc scratches probably from an abrasive particle being trapped between the pad and the paint. Our goal is to remove all the below surface defects and restore a true show car shine.

We moved the car out into the sun where the bright overhead sunlight can reveal the true condition of the paint.

Next we'll Machine Damp Sand the deep swirls and scratches until the surface is flat using the new Meguiar's Unigrit Professional Finishing System.

The section below was sanded using the #3000 Unigrit Foam Finishing Disc on the Meguiar's G110v2 on the 5.0 Speed Setting for about 5-6 Section Passes.

We moved the car back out into the sun to show just how flat of a sanding mark pattern the Unigrit Foam Finishing Papers leave behind and this is because of the Unigrit particle size and distribution of these particles over the face of each disc; two very important factors that make removing sanding marks quick and easy.

A very flat or matte appearance
    In person, the paint actually has a sheen to it as it's just a quick step away from a polished look because the sanding marks are so shallow and flat...

Back in the garage under the lights, you can see the Damp-Sanded area and the swirls and scratches in the rest of the paint.

Here are the results after Machine Compounding using the Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads on the Meguiar's G110v2 on the 6.0 Speed Setting with M105 Ultra Compound for about 5-6 Section passes.

We followed this with M205 Ultra Finishing Polish on a W9207 Foam Finishing pad on the 5.0 Speed Setting using the G110v2 for about 4 passes with medium pressure and then two more section passes with just a little more than the weight of the machine to keep the pad flat to the surface. The results you see here are only after polishing with M205, there is no wax or paint sealant applied at this point.

The test section was also wiped clean using straight Mineral Spirits to remove any residual polishing oils.

Note the Dime in this picture carefully placed onto the paint

Close-up to show there are no sanding marks left on the surface, no tick marks or haze. There is a spec of dust just to the lower left hand corner off to the side of the dime that we left there to show just how close we are to the paint when taking this picture. This paint is LSP ready.

On the Autogeek.net Website

p.s.

Write-up on how to use the Damp Sanding Technique to remove serious defects in the works...

Meguiar's Unigrit Finishing System

1969 El Camino - Damp-Sanded

1969 El Camino - Compounded, Polished and Sealed

Mike Phillips

Re: Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads now at Autogeek!

Cleaning the Surbuf Pads

After compounding a section it's a good idea to clean any buffing pad including the Surbuf pads. Here I'm using a Pad Conditioning Brush to remove any loose spent or used-up compounding residue out of the MicroFingers and also any removed paint that builds up if you're doing correction work.

Because the Microfibers are incredibly tiny in diameter and short in length, the face of the pad is very easy to clean with a nylon bristle cleaning brush like you see below.

Cleaning with a Grit Guard Universal Pad Wash also does a great job or removing any paint residue and spent compound or polish. I tried a couple of different speed settings and the 5.0 seem to work best for this type of pad but you can use a slower setting if you like. The important thing to remember when using the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer is to pump the pad up and down on the Grit Guard Insert inside the Pad Washer as this is how the cleaning solution is injected against the face of the pad.

Clean as a whislte...

Ready to put back to work...

Mike Phillips

Here's Matt doing a Test Spot on a 2010 Hyundai Genesis using the 6.5" Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pad on the Flex 3401 with M105 to remove water spots and swirls out of the clear coat finish.

The 6.5" Surbuf pad easily removed the water spots and scratches; this was just a test spot using this pad as Matt had already dialed in a process using Lake Country Pads for this detail job. See the results of his work in this thread...

2010 black Hyundai Genesis - swirled, etched and oxidized!

Mike Phillips

Backing Plates for Surbuf Pads

For perspective and to help you match the right pads to the right backing plates...

This is a 5.5" Surbuf MicroFinger Pad with a 5" Lake Country Dual Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate. This backing plate has a diameter of 4 7/8"

This is a 6.5" Surbuf MicroFinger Pad with a 6" Lake Country Dual Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate. This backing plate has a diameter of 5 3/4"

For perspective, here's the 5.5" Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pad on the Porter Cable 7424XP

I've switched the 6.5" Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pad and the 6" Lake Country DA Backing Plate and left the 5.5" MicroFinger Buffing Pad next to it for perspective.

The smaller the pad, the greater potential for correction work because there is less surface area for the tool to have to rotate.

If you're using a Flex 3401 you have to use the 6.5" Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pad, I've placed a pad on a spare backing pate and also placed a Flex 3401 in the background with a 6.5" Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pad attached to the backing plate.

Surbuf Pads on the Autogeek.net Website

If you need a spare backing plate for your Flex 3401 you can find them here...

Flex XC 3401 VRG 6 inch Backing Plate

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow mike, stunning results. The owner of that car is going to flip when they see it.
    How do you think these pads will hold up as far as durability ? On par with the Meg's and LC foam ?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome pads. In my limited experience, they seem to be very high quality. I can't see the backing separating and the overall construction is top notch. They were also very easy to clean using the Grit Guard pad washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    Awesome pads. In my limited experience, they seem to be very high quality. I can't see the backing separating and the overall construction is top notch. They were also very easy to clean using the Grit Guard pad washer.
    I just placed an order last week and now these have found themselves in my cart. Do I need them, NO!, but I'm addicted to AG so I'm buying them anyways.

On a side note, I'm contemplating picking up on a CR Spotless DIC-20 system with two refill bags for $200 (lightly used), is that a good deal?
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    So would you consider this an AIO pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    So would you consider this an AIO pad?
    According to the description it is meant for any compound, polish, wax or sealer.

"Unlike other pad systems that offer various "cuts", Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads are suitable for any polishing or waxing application. The Surbuf pad provides a safe, nonabrasive applicator that allows the product to work as intended. If you're used to multiple pads, you'll need to experiment to find the right speed and length of time to work in a polish or cleaner. Follow the product manufacturers' instructions. Once you get the hang of it, Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads just might replace all your polishing and finishing pads!"

I put a set of 5.5" and 4" pads in my cart. I'm very curious about this product and can't wait to try it myself.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    According to the description it is meant for any compound, polish, wax or sealer.

"Unlike other pad systems that offer various "cuts", Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads are suitable for any polishing or waxing application. The Surbuf pad provides a safe, nonabrasive applicator that allows the product to work as intended. If you're used to multiple pads, you'll need to experiment to find the right speed and length of time to work in a polish or cleaner. Follow the product manufacturers' instructions. Once you get the hang of it, Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads just might replace all your polishing and finishing pads!"

I put a set of 5.5" and 4" pads in my cart. I'm very curious about this product and can't wait to try it myself.
    Thanks kronos, but I did read that. You just can't believe everything you read. I would rather get some fist hand information. I too have them in my cart.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast