autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW! Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcats98 View Post
    Mines here! Now I need a DA (and pads and new microfibers) so I can prep correctly to use the product. I went all in on SiO2. Wash, Waterless Wash and Silica Spray. My thought is I wont have to polish/seal for a long time in between. :-)
    But that first good polish is the most crucial. Good maintenance means easy polishing from then on, in theory (until dealers wash when you tell them not to or bird poop leaves etching that you want to take a cut at).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    But that first good polish is the most crucial. Good maintenance means easy polishing from then on, in theory (until dealers wash when you tell them not to or bird poop leaves etching that you want to take a cut at).

Oh, agreed its that "oh Ill just fix that..." type mentality. I have not had to drive to work in months so the sap and pollen and bird bombs have not been a problem this spring but I am fairly OCD and had a "process" (two bucket; limited use of rubbing the surface; drying with an aid...etc) but using only OTC stuff (Megs).

I am thinking mine is needing more mechanical correction as all surfaces fail the baggies test; especially the lower quarters, doors...etc. In bright sunlight and using non-specific flashlights I cant see much marring or surface scratching/swirling but I am not probably doing right. I am not sure I want to spend the money on a swirl light. Its a daily and my OCD wants it a show car. But as Mike says I need to set a realistic expectation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcats98 View Post
    Oh, agreed its that "oh Ill just fix that..." type mentality. I have not had to drive to work in months so the sap and pollen and bird bombs have not been a problem this spring but I am fairly OCD and had a "process" (two bucket; limited use of rubbing the surface; drying with an aid...etc) but using only OTC stuff (Megs).

I am thinking mine is needing more mechanical correction as all surfaces fail the baggies test; especially the lower quarters, doors...etc. In bright sunlight and using non-specific flashlights I cant see much marring or surface scratching/swirling but I am not probably doing right. I am not sure I want to spend the money on a swirl light. Its a daily and my OCD wants it a show car. But as Mike says I need to set a realistic expectation.
    I’m not sure what color your paint is, but if you’re not seeing many swirls in sunlight then you may be in good shape. Or maybe it’s just white/light color and not showing... but even then the sun should usually reveal moderate marring from different angles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m not sure what color your paint is, but if you’re not seeing many swirls in sunlight then you may be in good shape. Or maybe it’s just white/light color and not showing... but even then the sun should usually reveal moderate marring from different angles.
    White Platinum Pearl (Ford tristage paint). When body shop tried to buff out poor work they scratched (buffer scratches) I could see those issues quiet clearly. So I "think" I am pretty good...but there is always that nagging thought in the back; especially when you are new at it. This car was a Liquid Glass car the first three years of its life so I wonder if there wasn't "something" to the protection it provided. Not more coats = better...but better than the average OTC product.

My hope is by stepping up to the next level of products that I will get the next step level in protection and looks minus any mistakes I make along the way.

5. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12