autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?

Quote Originally Posted by Medicaptain View Post
    I am going to prep/coat my daily with
    CSL and EXO to get my first experience
    doing a Ceramic.

What is the thought on doing CSL,
    topping with Gliss and Reload?
    •I’m thinking that any Coating, that’s worth
    its salt, really shouldn’t need any of these
    “Coating toppers” in order to have a survival
    rate that, most assuredly, closely approaches
    their advertised/purported end-of-service-life.

•(With that out of the way)...However:
    In your case it appears that “topping/toppers”
    have become a way of life.

TO WIT:
    I have been a Jescar/Collinite/Beadmaker
    guy for awhile...
    •With that in mind; (and despite what I say):
    -There’s that chance that you may also
    consider “Coating toppers/topping events”
    to be essential.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

If it's worth anything...my coating "tester" is my black BMW 335.

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT info....Thank you

I am not dissuaded on GTechniq at all as I will be doing my daily (2012 Platinum White F150) this weekend. I have no worries what goes on that truck even though it is near flawless. The new BMW on the other hand has me hesitating....or a better way to put it would be that I am doing an overload of research...it is unique and beautiful paint, brand new and my experience level is upper DIY and hoping to move to Prosumerish level. With that said, thats why I will try both the GTechniq on the truck and the CQuartz Lite on the BMW....if I screw up the BMW....at least it won't be for long.

I have tons to learn and this is certainly the right place to get the right information. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond....GREAT website
    Don’t over think it. That’s when trouble happens. Sometimes taking that leap of faith and getting out of your comfort zone is the way to go.

Obsessed Garage has a couple videos going over the application of both CSL and Exo.

CSL is a breeze to put on. The downside is it lacks in hydrophobic properties (water beading) but excels in the sheeting aspect. Exo takes the water beading to another level with still a good sheeting aspect.

You won’t have any problems applying either one. Just have your towels ready for Exo to avoid those high spots.

CQ Lite is easy to work with. You won’t have any issues with it. It is pretty forgiving if you have a high spot.

Post pics when you are done.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will do on the pics.....I have been planning the arrival of this car for nearly a year (my garage is jacked out with OG stuff)....all great info.....I plan on just keep it simple and have fun with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok here we go.....Just need to confirm with you all of this process that I intend to do.

Going to do a quick polish with CarPro Essence....should just wipe it off and go straight to the GQuartz Lite or use eraser beforehand...it seems there are different opinions on that

After the Lite application I was planning on doing Reload and then Gliss after the first week. OR.....should I do Gliss and if so, before or after the Reload?

All opinions welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?

Ok here we go.....Just need to confirm with you all of this process that I intend to do.

Going to do a quick polish with CarPro Essence....should just wipe it off and go straight to the GQuartz Lite or use eraser beforehand...it seems there are different opinions on that

After the Lite application I was planning on doing Reload and then Gliss after the first week. OR.....should I do Gliss and if so, before or after the Reload?

All opinions welcome
    You have a few options.

1. Polish the entire car and by the time you are done you can apply Lite where you originally started with polishing.

2. Follow up with a prep with Eraser after polishing to ensure no residue from Essence is removed. It will not remove the SiO2 left behind. I would recommend this step and then coat.

3. If you have access to a garage let Essence sit overnight after wiping off to allow the SiO2 to cure and the excess residue will “evaporate” off the surface. Come back the next morning with a light prep wipe mostly to remove any dust and proceed to coat.

With the coating here is what you should do:

- Apply 2 coats of Lite as recommended
    - Apply 1 coat of Gliss 4 hours after the last coat of Lite. Or wait the next day.
    - Reload is optional if applying Gliss. Not really needed in my experience. Save I for down the road. I find Elixir to be much better for maintenance.

If you apply Reload after Lite then you would have to strip it in order to use Gliss. So apply Gliss prior to Reload.

All of this comes from the folks over at CarPro in my research and experience using their coatings.

9. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome......I will follow this to a T and do the Gliss and not ReLoad. I ordered Elixir too to play with moving forward......

Thanks for everything Guz

11. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok...here we go with one final detail of the off going 535 and I can't wait to pick up the 550
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-detail-prep-products-2-jpg   Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-detail-prep-products-jpg   Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-tools-trade-2-jpg   Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-tools-trade-jpg   Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-final-detail-jpg   Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-550-1-jpg  

13. Likes The Guz, SWETM, Loach liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that was a ton of work and I am SORE! Had a few snafu's to overcome, my foamer stopped working so I had to rebuild it but then we were off to the races. Full decon, a small amount of paint prep on the side/rear bumpers had some scratches, 2 coats of CQuartz lite followed by Gliss and Reload. Tons of hours put in this weekend but all worth it.
    Noob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-550-2-jpgNoob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-550-4-jpgNoob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-550-5-jpgNoob to Ceramic Coatings......CSL topped with Gliss?-550-1-jpg

15. Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Gorgeous. The muscle pain is temporary. The shine and protection on that new Bavarian Beauty will last MUCH longer.

Congrats on her new ride! Love that new wheel style.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast